Dune

Started by modage, January 27, 2004, 12:37:55 PM

bonanzataz

i saw this in the theaters the other day. everytime sting came on screen, the audience would clap and laugh. i liked the part where he puts his hand in the box. and the part where i got confused.

"walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm."
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: Digital BitsThis just in: We've gotten word that Universal has delayed their Dune: Extended Edition DVD until further notice. The title had been expected to street on 5/10. Unofficial word from our sources is that the delay will be several months at least, but there's no word as to why.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: Digital BitsOh man... have we got some GREAT news for you Dune fans today! We've done some digging with our sources at Universal, and we've learned the real reason behind their delay of the Dune: Extended Edition (previously announced for 5/10, but then pulled "indefinitely" with no explanation given). Those of you who are familiar with the film know that there's a longer version that's been shown on TV, credited to director Alan Smithee (a pseudonym used by directors when they want to distance themselves from a project for whatever reason). Well get this... after years of saying he would never revisit Dune, at the 11th hour director David Lynch decided that he wanted to be involved in the new DVD after all. Which means that when it's eventually released, not only is the DVD going to include the original theatrical version of the film... it will include a brand new "director's extended cut" edited by Lynch himself! No kidding.

How cool is THAT?! We can't wait to see what Lynch does with the film!

This made me yip out loud with happiness.  I got some odd looks here at the office.

MacGuffin

Lynch denies he's working on Director's Cut of Dune

In the chat room at davidlynch.com, Lynch was asked a couple of questions about the new Dune dvd, and the reports from digitalbits about a new Director's Cut. He seemed to deny any such thing was happening. Here's the exact statement from the chat:

"SkAteAleX1 [7:37 PM PST]: David you have to give me some news on if the rumors are true about the Dune dvd ;).
DAVIDLYNCH [7:38 PM PST]: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DUNE SK8
cinemalover [7:38 PM PST]: There were rumors again David - that you were doing a directors cut of Dune
DAVIDLYNCH [7:39 PM PST]: I HAVE HEARD THOSE RUMORS BUT NOT FOR A LONG TIME"

So either someone at Universal is misspeaking, or Lynch is trying to keep things a secret.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

DAVID LYNCH IS ON MY WAVELENGTH
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: Digital BitsWe've followed up with our Universal sources and have now been told that director David Lynch's participation in the Dune: Extended Edition isn't a done deal yet. It IS the reason the title was delayed, but the details about Lynch's involvement are apparently still in discussion. So we're going to suggest that our previous post is best considered Rumor Mill-worthy for the time being, until things are more official.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Release Date For Dune Extended Edition

Universal Home Video has announced the new release date for the Dune Extended Edition DVD. The disc will be released on January 31 and has a list price of $19.98. As expected, it looks like Lynch had no involvement with the disc. They still list the extended version as being widescreen, but I'd take that with a grain of salt until the actual disc is released. Thanks to Mark Bennett of duneinfo.com for passing along the info. Here are the disc specs:

Dune
Extended Edition
Release Date: 01/31/2006
Packaging: Metal Snap Case   Price: $19.98

Disc 1
Original Theatrical Version
Run Time: 2 Hours 17 Minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Bonus Materials

Deleted Scenes with Introduction by Raffaella De Laurentiis
Designing Dune
Special Effects
Models & Miniatures
Wardrobe Design
Photograph Gallery
Production Notes
Technical Information
Audio

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Captions: English
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1)
Color

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc 2
Extended Version
Run Time: 2 Hours 57 Minutes
MPAA Rating: Not Rated Technical Information
Audio

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Captions: English
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1)
Color

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

So how long do we think it'll take for this to be pushed back again?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

MacGuffin

One for the Lynch mob
Source: Moviehole

The Dune Novel Forums via CHUD hints that a remake - well, not really, since it's origins lie in literary form - of David Lynch's cult-clusterfuck"Dune" could be in the works. And no, Eraserhead's pop won't be calling the shots this time.

In January, one of the site's head-honcho's, Byron Merritt (he's related to Frank Herbert) noted that they're talking about getting a new movie off the ground.

"We're just in the talking stages, trying to hammer out an agreeable contract", says a poster. "That takes time. More time than I ever imagined. Entertainment attorneys love to drag out these negotiations because they make big bucks (our's makes $600/hour. "It's all financial right now; how much they'll pay for the rights mostly. Once we sign over the rights, that's it, we won't have any (or at least much) say in who's cast, who directs, etc", he said, adding that the film would be budgeted in the $100 million range.

Last week, he revealed that they're very close to closing the deal.

"Although only rumor, I've heard that "someone" at the studio wants Dune reallllly bad and has been a fan of the novel for "years." They're not saying who this is (and it might just be hype) but I'm holding out hope that whoever this might be is a big enough fan that he/she will do the book justice. Supposedly it's some director."

First of all, it may be as messy as a cat's litter tray and a bitch to sit through in one sitting, but I like Lynch's "Dune". It's not a no-brainer you can watch over and over again in the "Stakeout" or "Lost Boys" sense – but it's definitely got its moments and is not without merit. For starters, the production design on the film is amazing. And the cast were terrific. Go read the IMDB listing for "Dune" and you'll see what I mean – there's at least ten good names in there. The film must have had something to attract them to it in the first place.

Thing is, Lynch should never have gotten to make "Dune". It's not his type of film. He's a man with abstract and dissimilar tastes that doesn't appeal to the masses. "Dune", for all intents and purposes, is a family movie disguised as a science-fiction yarn. It's the furthest thing from Lynch's tastes and, well, capability. "Mulholland Drive"... now that's classic Lynch. "Dune"... that's what Lynch's "Return of the Jedi" would've been like (true, he was offered the chance to direct "Jedi"). It's an amazing car crash that you don't want to look away from.

In recent years, they did "Dune" again as a TV mini-series. Tried watching it, but didn't get into it. Heard that fans of Uncle Frank's book were happy with the adaptation though.

I don't know that "Dune" would be an easy film to make – I think it makes much more sense in paper form than it ever would on film. It's a bit like a Tom Clancy novel – smart as shit, very detailed and totally gripping but adapt one of them into a movie and they suddenly become light and fluffy blockbusters with only a touch of depth. Some things are just difficult to not only condense but transfer.

And as CHUD reminds us, who the fuck would wanna greenlight a blue-balled project like "Dune", something that's going to take at least twelve months to do, in these frightening pre-strike times? Wouldn't a Japanese anime version do just fine?

Skeleton FilmWorks

GSinNYC

So my girlfriend Jen and I just watched Lynch's theatrical version of Dune (she'd never seen it) on the recent two-disc release.  I started watching the first of the extra features (the one with Rafaella DeLaurentis talking about unused footage)...and Jen thought she heard Dennis Hopper's voice on one of the deleted scenes...I rewound the scene...it's about three or four minutes into the extra feature...it's a scene of an older, hooded priest walking backward in front of Kyle Maclachlan's Paul Atreides...it begins with the priest saying "We sense that you may be the voice from the Outer World..."  The priest's face is hooded and in shadow. Jen swears it's Dennis Hopper...I'm not so sure, but it damn well may be him...anyone have any info about this?  Is it him?  Can't find anything on the internet or in any of my books on Lynch.  Interesting implications if it is; I thought Hopper and Lynch had never met (or at least never worked together) until Blue Velvet...

MacGuffin

CONFIRMED: Peter Berg Will Direct 'Dune,' Talking With Tom Cruise About 'Edwin A. Salt'
Source: MTV

Ladies and gentlemen, the next huge sci-fi franchise has a director. During an interview with "The Kingdom" director Peter Berg, he confirmed the rumor that "Dune" is coming and that he's the one that will helm it. Calling the plans for him to direct "a done deal," Berg told me that "if it weren't for the writer's strike, we'd be in it right now."

Berg says that while there's no script yet, they have a list of writers they plan to go out to once the strike settles. The helmer called himself "a huge fan of the book" and when asked about the scale of the film, he simply replied, "big big big."

As any fan of the Frank Herbert classic knows, "Dune" received the big screen treatment once before in a divisive David Lynch film. Berg said that while he's "a big fan of Lynch," he believes "that interpretation has left the door wide open for a remake."

Meanwhile, Berg also confirmed that even before "Dune," he's likely to direct Tom Cruise in his next film. Berg called the script about a CIA agent on the run after being accused of being a spy "great" and "a great role for Tom."

Berg described the story as an "action thriller" and that "the audience is trying to figure out whether this character is good or bad. He's claiming one thing and we're not sure up until the very end."

When asked if he's met with Cruise himself yet, Berg said "we've been talking."

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

That is the most quote-happy article I have ever read.