Smells like teen spirit called best song of past 25 years

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 10, 2003, 07:37:02 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Sleuth

I've always liked Nirvana and all, but nowadays when I hear somebody talk about them being great I automatically think "shut the fuck up dumbass"

either way, I don't think that should have been #1
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

Wait, why is this not in the music forum?  I'm moving it now
I like to hug dogs

neatahwanta

Its not even the best song on Nevermind, let alone the best song in the past 25 years.

Sleuth

I think they are talking more about the way it changed so much, but even then...
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Nirvana Song Called Best of Past 25 Years

NEW YORK - Here they are now, entertaining us - or at least entertaining VH1, which named Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" the greatest song of the past quarter-century. The Seattle band's groundbreaking grunge anthem is No. 1 on VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years."

The whole countdown will air over five nights, starting at 10 p.m. EDT Monday on the video music channel. The series will feature clips of videos and performances by the artists along with interviews from musicians and celebrities discussing why the songs matter.

Of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan said: "That was really a breakthrough for a great scene that had been going on for a long time up in Seattle. And it was kind of another victory, I think, for a misunderstood music, you know. The dam broke when 'Teen Spirit' came out."

While no one performer or group dominated the countdown, which was chosen by a panel of VH1 executives, several had two songs featured.

Michael Jackson had the second-highest song, "Billie Jean," and was at No. 40 with "Beat It." Eminem reached No. 4 with "Lose Yourself," while his "My Name Is" was No. 85. Madonna's "Like a Virgin" was No. 10 and her "Ray of Light" was No. 100.

Rounding out the top 10 were "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses, "One" by U2, "Walk This Way" by Run-D.M.C., "When Doves Cry" by Prince, "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston and "Every Breath You Take" by The Police.

In May 2001, VH1 picked the 100 greatest videos of all time; Jackson's "Thriller," a 17-minute mini-movie, was No. 1, but it didn't even make the list this time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Psshht. VH-1 putting anything at the top of one of their many myopic lists (always slanted heavily towards hits that were hits as VIDEOS) means nothing to me. Enjoy watching the lists, but if there was any way to put less than ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NO stock in them, I would.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

i still cant get over funkytown not getting voted, im shattered

European Son

Quote from: tremoloslothI've always liked Nirvana and all, but nowadays when I hear somebody talk about them being great I automatically think "shut the fuck up dumbass"
Why?

Sleuth

I really don't know, I think I've been jaded by some real morons
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: tremoloslothI really don't know, I think I've been jaded by some real morons

dude i am so with you, i find myself hating things i like because of some people

magnolia is something i treasure to much, but man the type of people who surround themselves to it make me ill

i can rattle off a list of things that are ruined by certain people

but ohh well you just do your best to move on

now i am going back into mourning over funkytown, :: starts to sing "goodtime charlies got the blues" ::

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Pas

Seriously, who are they ?! Who the fuck are they ??! This makes me so mad, because I'm sure a lot of "confidence fragile" people live by these fucking lists VH1 and the AFI give every now and then. Who the hell thinks he's important enough to select the "best" songs of the last 25 years ? I hope it's fucking Mother Theresa or something, and not the pop-culture enlightened, rich, snob, bastard who runs this VH1 thing. Oh, and they don't give you a 100 songs list...nooo...they put them in order of greatness, so you don't get confused in your tastes, so you can really be sure what you have to like more.
-"This one will be 84.
-ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND ?! This is definietly 78 material !"

It's degrading when they do that about movies, even more with songs.

Quote from: MacGuffinEminem reached No. 4 with "Lose Yourself,"

Oh my god, is that the one with the Led Zep's Kashmir sampling that came out like 4 months ago ?! I'll go cry in my room now.

Sleuth

Quote from: Booth
Oh my god, is that the one with the Led Zep's Kashmir sampling that came out like 4 months ago ?! I'll go cry in my room now.

I don't know, but have you heard Puff Daddy - Come With Me

why the fuck did Page do that?
I like to hug dogs

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: Booth

I don't know, but have you heard Puff Daddy - Come With Me

why the fuck did Page do that?

the reason, Its all about the benjemins my god man, ugh what a pun

is it me or does jimmy look like a cute old man with that burnt out smile on his face, back in the day he had that air of mystery  ya know that whole alyester crowley thing, but now its all just cute dorky smiles , almost benny hill like