Criterion Tati re released anytime soon?

Started by tpfkabi, January 08, 2003, 10:50:53 PM

tpfkabi

after reading that PTA suggested Tati.....i checked out Mon Oncle and liked it a lot. i see that there was a Criterion release for it, but its currently out of print....does anyone know if they plan to rerelease it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

sphinx

criterion buys the license to a film and owns it for an 'x' year period...i doubt criterion will ever re-release it, since it's just a money/rights issue.  once criterion loses the rights, it's very difficult for another studio to get them back.  the only example i can think of is silence of the lambs, but the only reason why it was rereleased was because mgm owned the damned movie.  so in short, no, but you can still buy them off e-bay and in specialty dvd stores.

tpfkabi

that's a shame.....i think i looked on ebay one time and it was selling for over a 100 bucks......there's no way i'm paying that much

Bud_Clay

yeah..you can buy them off ebay if you're ready to pay 3,000 dollars.....christ....im in the same position....i rented mon oncle and loved it...now it's unavailable to buy.

i recommend asking Borders to order the Tati films for you...i did that and apparently they are on their way..i'm still a little uneasy about this working out though.

tpfkabi

i wonder if this is a case where DVD copying would be perfectly acceptable. this is a film i would definitely shell out the money for if i had the chance, but unfortunately its not available.
even if.........i imagine it would be even harder to get someone with the ability to do it that would actually do it.

Bud_Clay

You know, there are other versions of the Hulot series on dvd selling on ebay....they are apparently from Brazil, but region free nevertheless.....they are selling from about 15-30 $$$ from what i've noticed..i would go for one of those, but im afraid of what the transfer quality may be...that's why im afraid, for the sake of picture quality, coughing up the dough for one of those ebay sonsabitches might be the way to go...Considering the many years these films may not have another quality release.

bonanzataz

Do you suggest I buy it, make a copy on my DVD burner, then sell it off ebay for more than I paid?

GOOD IDEA! But is it worth the effort?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

life_boy

Perhaps this is an ignorant question but has a Criterion Collection DVD ever gone out-of-print and then come back in-print (months/years) later?

sphinx

it's very rare, but i know criterion has done it once or twice....i wouldn't hold your breath for a rerelease, though.

MacGuffin

Quote from: life_boyPerhaps this is an ignorant question but has a Criterion Collection DVD ever gone out-of-print and then come back in-print (months/years) later?

Jean Cocteau's "Beaty And The Beast" went out of print and is being rereleased in Feb. There are also rumors that "400 Blows" will make a comeback too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bud_Clay

OH CHRIST I HOPE SO! that would be absolutely fabulous...and also a Jules et Jim criterion release might be nice...they should just go all out with a TRUFFAUT BOX SET!

tpfkabi

Quote from: Bill Maplewoodyeah..you can buy them off ebay if you're ready to pay 3,000 dollars.....christ....im in the same position....i rented mon oncle and loved it...now it's unavailable to buy.

i recommend asking Borders to order the Tati films for you...i did that and apparently they are on their way..i'm still a little uneasy about this working out though.

did you get the Tati DVDs? i bet they had just forgot to list them as oop

Bud_Clay

Quote from: bigideasdid you get the Tati DVDs? i bet they had just forgot to list them as oop

Nah...it's been about 2 1/2 months & still nothing...yeah, i have no clue what the deal is with them..i told them before they even checked that the dvds were out of print and they still looked and still said they could get them...they cant though...and they still have yet to even call me and tell me this.

MacGuffin

Start looking for copies:

The Criterion Collection's license on How To Get Ahead in Advertising (SPINE #120) has expired and the disc is now officially out-of-print. The comedy, starring Richard E. Grant as a high-strung advertising executive whose shoulder sprouts a talking boil, is now due from MGM on April 1st.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bud_Clay

Quote from: MacGuffinStart looking for copies:

The Criterion Collection's license on How To Get Ahead in Advertising (SPINE #120) has expired and the disc is now officially out-of-print. The comedy, starring Richard E. Grant as a high-strung advertising executive whose shoulder sprouts a talking boil, is now due from MGM on April 1st.

FUCKING YEAH i know....i found out about that like the day or day after it fucking happened and right away i checked amazon, dvd planet, you name it & they HAD ALL SOLD OUT....and amazon sellers have already started putting up copies for sale at a rate of $60-$70....that's absolutely insane.....people are treating the criterion collection as if they are collecting beanie babies.