Tarantino Star Trek Film in the Works?

Started by wilberfan, December 04, 2017, 11:25:00 PM

Robyn

I will be disappointed if this will be his last film and #10. then again, news about Tarantino films that never happens has been very common the last 20 years, so it hard to take them seriously sometimes. it would make me happy if he made this a TV show and saved #10 for something else. I love the idea of him ending his career with a 30/40s gangster film.

Gold Trumpet

I would be shocked if he actually is done at #10.

The more I think about this, the more I think it has a chance to happen.

jenkins

Quentin Tarantino's 'Star Trek' Will Be R-Rated: 'The Revenant's Mark L. Smith Frontrunner Scribe

Quotethe whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, and Drew Pearce. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. I'm hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant. The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition

Alethia

Drenk

Ascension.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on June 12, 2019, 04:31:03 PM
Is he ending his career with this?

It's not his script so he might be able to veto it as the "10th film by QT"
Or he reaches 60 and doesn't make anything.

Alethia

Never had anything even remotely resembling a passing interest in Star Trek. I hope this ain't #10.

Drenk

But Once Upon a Time in America sounds like a good swan song.
Ascension.

Something Spanish

Much as i'll miss the unbearable excitement of a new QT movie, Hollywood indeed sounds like an appropriate swan song. I'm content to watch his 9 for the rest of time, plenty of meat there. So far this month rewatched IG in theaters and Hateful Eight on blu and already crave replays, they're that densely enjoyable. gonna go through the rest before new one comes out.

And yeah, couldn't give a fuck less about Trek, but would obviously watch one helmed by the man. Also, what the fuck, I so just want to watch OUATIH right fucking now, the wait is such a pain in the ass.

Never xixaxed this before, and even though this isn't the appropriate thread, here goes...when IV was announced to premier at the NYFF I bought two opening night tickets off some dude on Craig's List for $200 a piece because I knew the aguish I'd experience waiting two plus months until its release. Lavishly expensive a purchase as that was, never regretted it one iota. Alice Tully Hall was the perfect place to see it for the first time, on film no less. As my euphoria radiated with Any Day Now playing in the credits, I look a few rows down (had upper balcony seats) to see the spotlight shining on Paul and Doc, a night to remember.

Drenk

The french translator of Pynchon was at that screening and—lie or not—wrote that he saw an old man leave the theater just after the end, a man with a cap. It sounds too dramatic to be true. But I'm sure Pynchon could not resist to be there that night.
Ascension.

Lottery

I actually want him to do this (along with other work). He's so idiosyncratic that it would be cool to see something that is pure craft and that stands apart from his other work. So in that regard, it's kinda unfortunate that he needs it to be foulmouthed.

Alethia

Quote from: Something Spanish on June 12, 2019, 06:30:07 PM
Never xixaxed this before, and even though this isn't the appropriate thread, here goes...when IV was announced to premier at the NYFF I bought two opening night tickets off some dude on Craig's List for $200 a piece because I knew the aguish I'd experience waiting two plus months until its release. Lavishly expensive a purchase as that was, never regretted it one iota. Alice Tully Hall was the perfect place to see it for the first time, on film no less. As my euphoria radiated with Any Day Now playing in the credits, I look a few rows down (had upper balcony seats) to see the spotlight shining on Paul and Doc, a night to remember.

I was at that screening, too! One of the best nights of my life.

WorldForgot

Quote from: eward on June 12, 2019, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: Something Spanish on June 12, 2019, 06:30:07 PM

I was at that screening, too! One of the best nights of my life.
(and to take this thread completely off the railz)
So were strandedwriter and I!! <3

Alethia

:yabbse-thumbdown:

Quentin Tarantino Says If He Commits to Directing 'Star Trek,' That's His Last Movie

Legendary "Star Trek" actor William Shatner has already given Tarantino his approval to make an R-rated entry in the space franchise.

Quentin Tarantino broke the hearts of many fans earlier this month by reminding them he is still planning to retire from filmmaking after helming his 10th feature film. As the writer-director told GQ Australia, "I think when it comes to theatrical movies, I've come to the end of the road. I see myself writing film books and starting to write theatre, so I'll still be creative. I just think I've given all I have to give to movies."

Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is his ninth directorial effort, which means it will be his penultimate effort should he stick to this 10-film plan before retirement. The director's GQ interview had many fans wondering how Tarantino will choose to end his directorial career and asking whether or not his much-discussed "Star Trek" movie would be his final filmmaking project. Tarantino successfully pitched an R-rated "Star Trek" to producer J.J. Abrams and Paramount and has written a script. The studio has yet to officially greenlight the project, but if they do and if Tarantino decides to direct that will probably be his last movie.

Speaking to CinemaBlend ahead of "Hollywood" rolling out in theaters later this month, Tarantino said that 10 films is 10 films and therefore directing "Star Trek" would be the end of his filmmaking career. Many fans have wondered if Tarantino's 10-film plan strictly applies to original properties, thus creating a loophole where the director could potentially direct "Star Trek" and another original project. The director said he's toyed with that idea but is leaning towards 10 as a flat number.

"I guess I do have a loophole, [if] the idea was to throw a loophole into it," Tarantino said. "Which would be [to go], 'Uhhh, I guess 'Star Trek' doesn't count. I can do 'Star Trek'...but naturally I would end on an original.' But the idea of doing 10 isn't to come up with a loophole. I actually think, if I was going to do 'Star Trek,' I should commit to it. It's my last movie. There should be nothing left handed about it. I don't know if I'm going to do that, but that might happen."

Should Tarantino direct his "Star Trek" script, he's already got the approval of the franchise's legendary actor William Shatner. The original Captain Kirk used social media earlier this month to support Tarantino's vision against some "Star Trek" fans upset about the franchise leaning into a hard R-rating.

"Why are people plotzing about this?" Shatner asked his Twitter followers. "It's my understanding that 'Star Trek Discovery' has used expletives in some episodes. Why aren't people melting down over that?"

Tarantino's ninth feature, "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," opens in theaters July 26 from Sony Pictures.