dear white people

Started by jenkins, October 19, 2014, 12:19:01 AM

jenkins

Quote from: max from fearless on October 03, 2014, 06:08:14 AM
Dear White People (Comedy)
Dir/Wri: Justin Simien. The lives of four black students at an Ivy League college converge after controversy breaks out due to the ill-conceived theme of the campus humor magazine's annual Halloween party.

i'm not sure the overall story is something to gush over, i think the music was lame here and there i mean pianos are emotional and everything but can we talk about this, and you know, satire.

but, there's lots of 2014 popping across the movie and i laughed ~8x. nice

the director+exec. producer's q&a steered toward a conversation about "black art house" and its golden and pre-golden days, titles like do the right thing and boyz n the hood were mentioned, the execpro stephanie allain worked on peeples, black snack moan, hustle & flow, biker boyz, and muppets from space, simien is a first-time writer/director, and the producer said she was doing her part to keep movies from the perspective of black people thriving and contemporary and duh i'm thankful. she said in the 90s there was a period where studios were open to more movies for specialized markets, but soon those opportunities evaporated for academy movies (she said while hand gesturing to the academy in a light-playful way) and of course boxoffice. it takes about 2 seconds to make me agree with the general philosophy of cinema from the margins being an absolute necessity for existence within cinema

and if you're white i don't think you'll feel like an idiot and if you're black i don't think you'll feel like an asshole and there's cross-race conversation and gay people and a small-number of other minorities and everyone seems very confused about why they're even talking to each other. i like how many different types of people there were and how many college-level social conversations took place. the director said he was also inspired by the internet and thinks comments made on youtube about race are a kind of, what did he say, "proof of concept"

N