Olmi on Criterion...

Started by SoNowThen, June 09, 2003, 01:56:01 PM

SoNowThen

Okay, so the two Olmi films are coming out next month. I'm frothing at the mouth to see them, but I can't rent them near here, nor have I talked to anybody who has seen them. Normally I would blind buy without a thought, but times are tough, and I wanna be sure of my money.

Has anybody seen these movies (il posto and i fidanzati)? If not, has anybody seen ANY Olmi films, and can you describe his style to me?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

Pwaybloe

In Pawbloe's New World, all UPS delivery staff will look like the above...

SoNowThen

Quote from: EEz28if you dont get a response here, go check out:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/bcriterioncollectionforum

eez28, that is a great link!! I've decided to blind buy both Olmi discs, so if anyone wants to hear some feedback, check with me in a couple weeks...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: EEz28if you dont get a response here, go check out:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/bcriterioncollectionforum

eez28, that is a great link!! I've decided to blind buy both Olmi discs, so if anyone wants to hear some feedback, check with me in a couple weeks...

Thanks, its a really good board, and everyone there is really friendly and helpful with things concerning Criterion, so if anyone has any Criterion questions or questions about the films in the collection go check there.

SoNowThen

So, I FINALLY GOT MY OLMI DVDS IN THE MAIL.

Watched Il Posto last night. First off, I just wanna say, the cover art alone is worth the price of the dvds. Not kidding.

It's a beautiful movie. It's quiet, and slow, and has all sorts of heart and emotion, but never ever once allows anything but truth to go on screen. I would HIGHLY recommend a blind buy. You will not be disappointed.

I will watch I Fidanzati tonight and report back tomorrow...

SoNowThen

Okay, I've wathced Fidanzati now, too.

Both are among the top 5 blind buys I've ever done. Seriosuly go out and get them, everybody. Ebs, they've kinda got a laid back DGG vibe to the beauty of them... I think you would like.

The b&w camera work is a wonder to behold. Some good extras as well. GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT FUCKING GREAT!!!!!!

Olmi is my new hero.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenSo, I FINALLY GOT MY OLMI DVDS IN THE MAIL.

Watched Il Posto last night. First off, I just wanna say, the cover art alone is worth the price of the dvds. Not kidding.

It's a beautiful movie. It's quiet, and slow, and has all sorts of heart and emotion, but never ever once allows anything but truth to go on screen. I would HIGHLY recommend a blind buy. You will not be disappointed.

I will watch I Fidanzati tonight and report back tomorrow...

Of the two, I preferred Il Posto, but they're both the most gorgeous sort of neorealism. I wrote a few words on my blog... I agree about the cover art. Very beautiful- spare, bold black-and-white snapshot, so exactly in keeping with the film itself.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I just watched Il Posto and I'm dissapointed in what I saw. The picture is gorgeous yes, but half of it acts as an introduction into any typical work environment literally. The story gets numbed with procedures and happenings at the work environment that I wondered if there was any other way, through story, to say the obvious example, "Hey, work is dehumanizing." That lesson can be learned and is likely known by everyone already. In the elements of the movie I admired, I wish it would have been more. I wished it would have taken the story it had, the boy liking the girl, and tried to go more for the unkown in that story. It just fills itself too much of the lame proceedings all of us working have gone through already. The movie makes little attempt to dramatize it in other ways to give us any better understanding. Thing is, I want to see this movie again because I had high hopes to see if my opinion stays.

~rougerum