El Duderino

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleMy favorites, not in order:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Bananas
Sleeper
Take the Money and Run
Zelig
Hannah and Her Sisters

I love almost anything he does.  I'm what you'd call an Allen freak.

you cant be an Allen freak without Annie Hall, Interiors, or Tiger Lilly
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Dottie_Hinkle

well....i don't think you can dictate but i can play.  in my opinion, you can't be an allen freak wo bananas.  so there!!
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

NEON MERCURY

.....i have actually NEVER seen a woody allen film.....
..but he must have an interesting take on life ...considering he's married to his daughter......

cine

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.....i have actually NEVER seen a woody allen film.....
..but he must have an interesting take on life ...considering he's married to his daughter......
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
I don't think I can talk to you anymore. You must see a Woody Allen film and report back to me.

The magic of Allen's funniest films is the neurotic spin he puts on his characters that he's been mastering since the early 60's in stand up. You must see his films.

godardian

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleMy favorites, not in order:

Crimes and Misdemeanors
Bananas
Sleeper
Take the Money and Run
Zelig
Hannah and Her Sisters

I love almost anything he does.  I'm what you'd call an Allen freak.

you cant be an Allen freak without Annie Hall, Interiors, or Tiger Lilly

Some of the above picks are just as essential as those three, definitely... I personally find Husbands and Wives to be far and away my favorite Allen film, and I've seen them all.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

Bananas and Sleeper are fantastic, but they represent a more slapstick sense of humor, something that marks his earlier work, before he had the clout, I imagine, to start delving into the personal issues that he explored in his best work.

I have not yet seen Interiors; don't ask me why, since I have no honest explanation. I'm certain that I'll love it when I do.

I still really love Deconstructing Harry, since it was the first of his 'serious' films I ever saw; after that, I started seeking his earlier work.

Myxo

Sleeper kicks ass.

Too many people immediately go, "Annie Hall!"

ElPandaRoyal

I think I said it before, but I'm not sure, so I'll say it again... When it comes to "early funny" Woody Allen, there's nothing better than Love & Death.

Quote from: GhostboyI still really love Deconstructing Harry, since it was the first of his 'serious' films I ever saw; after that, I started seeking his earlier work.

I think it was my first Woody Allen movie ever. In the days that followed it, I cought Manhattan Murder Mistery on TV and Celebrity which was in theaters at that time... 6 years later, ElPandaRoyal became an Allen junkie, having seen each one of his films at least twice...  :shock:
Si

Dottie_Hinkle

Man, Love and Death is hilarious.... wheat!

I agree that most people blurt out Annie Hall as the best but if you're talkin his serious films, Crimes and Misdeameanors tops my list.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

modage

Quote from: MyxomatosisSleeper kicks ass.
Too many people immediately go, "Annie Hall!"
Quote from: themodernage02HOLLYWOOD ENDING
SMALL TIME CROOKS
SWEET AND LOWDOWN
CELEBRITY
DECONSTRUCTING HARRY
EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU
MIGHTY APRHODITE
BULLETS OVER BROADWAY
MANHATTAN
ANNIE HALL
EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX...
BANANAS
WHATS UP TIGER LILLY?
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE
HANNAH AND HER SISTERS
SLEEPER
i've seen all those but annie hall is still my favorite (probably followed by manhattan.  i love the ending.  particularly the music cue and how it cuts to black perfectly.)  he just has so many fucking movies, that i can never seem to catch up.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

Thus far:

01. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
02. Annie Hall (1977)
03. Husbands and Wives (1992)
04. Crimes and Misdemeanours (1989)
05. Shadows and Fog (1992)

06. Deconstructing Harry (1997)  
07. Sweet and Lowdown (1999)  
08. Love and Death (1975)  
09. Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)  
10. Manhattan (1979)
11. Celebrity (1998)
12. The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001)
13. Another Woman (1988)
14. Zelig (1983)
15. Sleeper (1973)
16. Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
17. Small Time Crooks (2000)
18. Bananas (1971)
19. Stardust Memories (1980)
20. Hollywood Ending (2002)
21. Everyone Says I Love You (1996)
22. The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
23. Take the Money and Run (1969)
24. Oedipus Wrecks (segment from New York Stories) (1989)
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

no no no u all got it wrong,

this is the secret ultimate perfect ranking list that solomon himself agreed with:

1. Love and Death
2. Zelig
3. Crimes + Misdemeanors
4. Annie Hall
5. Bananas
6. Hannah + Sisters
7. Deconstructing Harry or Sleeper

i only havn't seen Another Woman, Bullets/Broadway, and everything after Sweet'n Lowdown.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrickno no no u all got it wrong,

this is the secret ultimate perfect ranking list that solomon himself agreed with:

7. Deconstructing Harry or Sleeper

Hehehehe, classic.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Kate Winslet Possibly in Woody Allen's Latest
Source: Variety

Variety says that Woody Allen is making an extremely rare foray outside New York, as the Gotham-centric helmer readies to shoot his latest movie in London.

Details of the project are shrouded in secrecy, but a production office is up and running at Ealing Studios, in West London, with shooting reportedly to start July 12.

The movie, known only as "Woody Allen Summer Project," is set in London's high society, with Kate Winslet possibly among the cast. The budget is said to be $15 million.

Allen is currently completing Melinda and Melinda for Fox Searchlight.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

:-D

Melinda will rock and then a Woody Allen movie with Kate Winslet set in London already seems promissing enough.
Si