Classics I'm Not A Fan Of...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, December 02, 2003, 05:50:24 PM

xerxes

NEON MERCURY

aclockworkjj

Quote from: xerxes-2001
ty.  shit. i like it, but it's no bible.

first one that comes to mind.  Citizen Kane!!!!

Rosebud my ass!!!!... it was a good film.  the best?...fuck no.  

The thing is...realize I first saw this in probably 1998.  And though I can respect the influence it had in a positive manner towards film from that point forth (i will even compare it to the Beatles....it's not that amazing of a movie.  It was mildly entertaining to me.  The story was good, the shots were good.  but does it even come close to some things i see today?  no.  That's why i don't like "Top movie lists", they don't think about technology.  The hold onto these relics without realizing that technology has in fact...created a more enjoyable cinematic experience.  Citizen Kane is only a "good movie" in my book....not the best, no way, never.

Pedro

the cinematography in citizen kane is among some of the best ive ever seen.

but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an amazing movie.  but i love it nonetheless...

Pubrick

hating classic movies makes me feel like a real man.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I can also say 'Vertigo'. I don't find it to be the classic it is said to be, either. The problem with it is that much of it feels like a drama in pace, but the film is still thriller in plot and so lacks the tightness, wit and energy in better Hitchcock thrillers. It isn't really dramatic because it is tied down by its neck in a plot that does not take the subject serious at all.

Pedro

haps6296

I saw "Citizen Kane" only once a few years ago, because i'd heard so much about it,  and thought it was boring.. (probably my fault, guess i missed something).  I'm sure i'll get motivated to watch it again someday.
"Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning!"

cine

This thread depresses me. :(

I always feel bad as a film buff when a fellow film buff dislikes a classic picture. I'm generally dumbfounded. Exceptions to the rule include Gladiator and the Usual Suspects.

NEON MERCURY

there is nothing wrong w/the usual suspects....but i can see the deal w/gladiator.....

cine

I'm saying that in terms of the topic here, the Usual Suspects is not even close to qualified as a "Classic" that we're discussing.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: CinephileI'm saying that in terms of the topic here, the Usual Suspects is not even close to qualified as a "Classic" that we're discussing.

i see ...... 8)

aclockworkjj

Quote from: NEON MERCURY.but i can see the deal w/gladiator.....
that is not a classic either.  fuck that movie too.  crowe is good, joaquin is mad crazy unreal...but ridley scott.

he ruined demme's good deal with the silence.

freakerdude

I'm going to get bitched slapped here but I like the Gladiator (not a classic). I particularly like the cinematography and the direction of the arena fight scenes in particular.....they look great on widescreen and surround sound. The story wasn't boring and I particularly liked Joaquin Phoenix's performance as Commodus.

Yes, I do own it and my DVD library only consists of about 30 movies right now. I now hang my head in shame amongst the group...... :oops:
MC Pee Pants

aclockworkjj

Quote from: freakerdudeI now hang my head in shame amongst the group...... :oops:
pick it back up.  as i said...good movie. I just wouldn't consider it a "classic".

but....the zimmer/gerrard score....might be classic.