What Novels Would You Like To See Made Into Movies?

Started by 1976, October 12, 2003, 07:06:30 AM

"A Hundred Years Of Solitude"

Actually, this novel would probably be better served as an HBO mini-series since it spans several generations and features so many main characters that it probably couldn't all be covered in one feature film. But I could see a talented director creating a 210 minute Epic which might capture the overall theme of the novel.

"The Da Vinci Code"

I hear this one is already in pre-production, but I have the feeling they will emphasize the international thriller/action aspects of the novel (in other words, a Tom Clancy clone starring Harrison Ford) rather than the conspiracy and religious aspects which made the book fascinating. This novel should be made in an Oliver Stone "JFK" style and really go in depth into the heart of the conspiracy. It would be quite controversial (since it basically attempts to expose Christianity as a fraud.)

MacGuffin

Quote from: Shadow Boxin""The Da Vinci Code"

I hear this one is already in pre-production, but I have the feeling they will emphasize the international thriller/action aspects of the novel (in other words, a Tom Clancy clone starring Harrison Ford) rather than the conspiracy and religious aspects which made the book fascinating. This novel should be made in an Oliver Stone "JFK" style and really go in depth into the heart of the conspiracy. It would be quite controversial (since it basically attempts to expose Christianity as a fraud.)

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=263&start=30
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Well, Ron Howard wouldn't have been my first choice, but I think he'll take the subject matter serious enough to make a sincere adaptation.

***beady***

I think one of the Terry Pratchets would be good.

cine

Quote from: ***beady***I think one of the Terry Pratchets would be good.

Yeah, and they'd gain an amazing cult status too.

Ernie

I want Tim Burton to do "Geek Love" like I heard he was going to and I wanna do "Truck" by the same author. I also might do "Sick Puppy" by Carl Hiaasen.

Find Your Magali

I'd like to see some of Dan Simmons' horror novels on the big screen.

Carrion Comfort is my favorite, but it would need a bigger budget to be done right, I think.

I'd love to see Summer of Night, and the set design for the creepy old school.

Song of Kali could be a creepy, creepy thriller.

Raikus

My ultimate novel to cinema dream... The Dark Tower series.

But done well. Like, PJ well.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

***beady***

Hell yeah! Pj's done them fantasticaly.

I would also like to see any of the Edgar Alan Poe stories turned into films, or short films like the Twilight Zones.

Robin Jarvis any of his. But, I think that would have to be done cartoon style.

Eric Idle, 'Road to Mars', would be good.

'The Cigarette girl', by Carol Wolper I reckon would do quite well.

And I think there is some sort of film or some programme series made of the 'K-PAX' books by Gene Brewer. Haven't got round to wacthing them yet, but the books are brilliant!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think it has been made into a movie, but I'd love to see a newer Catcher In The Rye done by the Coen Brothers.

Davinci Code should be done by Lynch, because something so serious should be cryptic like that.

Helter Skelter should be made into a movie, as well.  I'd like to see either Lynch or Burton get their hands on it for the dark twist.  (Like a story about Manson needs a twist, let alone a dark one)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI think it has been made into a movie, but I'd love to see a newer Catcher In The Rye done by the Coen Brothers.

It's never been made into a movie. Salinger won't release the rights and vows never to do so.

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobHelter Skelter should be made into a movie, as well.  I'd like to see either Lynch or Burton get their hands on it for the dark twist.  (Like a story about Manson needs a twist, let alone a dark one)

It's already been made as an awesome mini-series, but I heard word somewhere that they were thinking about doing a feature.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI think it has been made into a movie, but I'd love to see a newer Catcher In The Rye done by the Coen Brothers.

It's never been made into a movie. Salinger won't release the rights and vows never to do so.

That's respectable
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Catcus Mack

These books are favourites of mine when i was a kid and have always wanted movies of them.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

This Island Isn't Big Enough For The Four Of Us

My Babysitter is a Vampire

Stinky Stanley

Gamblour.

When (and I don't mean if) I became a great film-maker, I'd love to do Brave New World and the Stranger, because as I read them a few months ago, I thought they would be great as movies. I know they've been adapted before, Mastroianni was in a '67 version of the Stranger, haven't seen it but sounds like a good casting choice for Mersault. Today, I would have Adrien Brody, he seems perfect. BNW hasn't been made but on TV. These would be great movies.

Speaking of Catcher in the Rye, there's a load of similarities between it and Taxi Driver (which I'm sure has been talked about somewhere here before). That's a good substitute until Rye goes public domain in a hundred years (or whenever).

Also, just remembered that I read M. Night Shyamalan wants to adapt Life of Pi. I need to read that book, it's just gathering dust.
WWPTAD?

Alethia