Chappie

Started by Mel, November 04, 2014, 12:49:45 PM

Mel

Director: Neill Blomkamp
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, Sharlto Copley, Dev Patel

Synopsis: Every child comes into the world full of promise, and none more so than Chappie: he is gifted, special, a prodigy. Like any child, Chappie will come under the influence of his surroundings - some good, some bad - and he will rely on his heart and soul to find his way in the world and become his own man. But there's one thing that makes Chappie different from anyone else: he is a robot. The first robot with the ability to think and feel for himself. His life, his story, will change the way the world looks at robots and humans forever.

Trailer:

Comment: Poor Chappie, if "Ex Machina" is as good as it looks in trailers, the other film about AI could have problems, even if it is on comedy side.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

DIE ANTWOORD WILL STAR IN THIS

Jeremy Blackman

Red band trailer (NSFW)

jenkins

no, it won't be a showdown between ex machina and chappie after all. in fact, i'm wondering if i should see chappie or the second best exotic marigold hotel. i didn't see the first marigold and i'm still wondering this. joking, but only a little

i'll quote some "big names" to set the mood:

QuoteThings go wrong like genre clockwork
manohla dargis (who liked the movie)

QuoteThe key culprit, inevitably, is auteur Blomkamp, who in this film favors a filmmaking style so sloppy and crude it's impossible to tell if it's the result of intention or ineptitude. Either way, in the absence of the strong ideas that animated "District 9," "Chappie" is close to unwatchable for long stretches of time..
kenneth turan

QuoteSadly, Blomkamp's ideas feel depleted this time.
peter travers

Quoteunappealing one-note characters, retread concepts, implausible motivations and a ludicrous survival rate given the firepower expended upon the central figures.
todd mccarthy

there's not even fire in anyone's disappointment. it's getting plain brushed off the carpet

Tictacbk

it wasnt that bad. its worth seeing if you like die antwoord.

polkablues

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet, but even the worst reviews somehow manage to describe it as a movie I'm intensely interested in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Wham Bam Pow tackles Chappie in their latest episode.

http://www.maximumfun.org/wham-bam-pow/wham-bam-pow-ep-89-chappie

Their review starts around 38 min. It's an interesting and spirited discussion, and a good sample of the podcast. (Although I would have liked them to go longer.)