Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Robyn

Quote from: Tdog on April 16, 2018, 09:12:42 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on April 16, 2018, 08:30:33 PM
Quote from: Tdog on April 16, 2018, 07:27:44 PM
So today someone at Filmstage listened to the interview PTA had with Bill Simmons. They are now claiming based on PTA's clear hyperbole and exaggerations that he is working on a 600 page screenplay. Now /Film are reporting the same thing. Bahahahahahaahahhahha

Also that interview was from December so the degree to which they are trying to make news out of this is so silly.
And now they are writing articles about PTA's comments on Tarantino quitting after 10 movies (again from a months old interview). WTF is going on???????????

hahaha

wilberfan

Quote from: Tdog on April 16, 2018, 09:12:42 PM
And now they are writing articles about PTA's comments on Tarantino quitting after 10 movies (again from a months old interview). WTF is going on???????????

I suspect this sudden return of PTA-related articles is due to the release last week of Phantom Thread on DVD/Blu-ray.  Makes me wonder if there are bots writing these things...

Pringle

Take a look at the guy in the background here starting from  the 3:10 mark...

Drenk

Quote from: Pringle on April 28, 2018, 05:12:28 PM
Take a look at the guy in the background here starting from  the 3:10 mark...

Great find. He's just there. Watching.
Ascension.

Tdog

He must be trying to put his next movie together quick quick quick!

md

totally irrelevant 6 degrees of separation but my roommate is dating Jennifer Lewis's daughter. Woman is a spark of energy.  Tiffany Haddish seems to next in line or perhaps light years ahead of her depending on who you ask.  Who's got a script pitch for the 'mother of black hollywood'?
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Lewton

Seems like it might be set in South-Central Los Angeles in the 30s or 40s:

https://twitter.com/MTV/status/991720219981705216

Robyn

we are probably getting this soon, aren't we?

Tdog

And Maya Rudolph is involved too......interesting.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Tdog

If anyone wants more clues on what a potential Ernie Anderson/Ghoulardi "local access tv" movie would be like, then listen to the latest WTF podcast with Drew Carey.

He's a Cleaveland guy and talks for a few minutes about Ernie/Ghoulardi and some the crazy shit he did. Ernie stuff is from around 28:20 - 32:20

Alethia

Ha I love whenever Maron giddily refers to PTA as The Genius.

Lewton

I wonder if PTA is still interested in another Pynchon adaptation...and something in television. One of the big questions about the rest of his career, I think, is if he'll make the leap into television and if we've actually already begun seeing the signs pointing toward that eventuality.

Sometimes, he'll say things in interviews where I feel like it's a hint, but he phrases it in such a way that I'm never really sure. Like, remember how he said (can't recall the exact wording) "it'd be nice" if they put Hard Eight on Criterion? It seems super likely like that those discussions have already taken place, so perhaps he's being a bit coy there...but who knows?

Then he said, during the IV press tour, that he hoped someone would do a miniseries based on Mason & Dixon and put it on A&E or whatever. He phrased it like he wanted someone else to do it, but come on, he surely wants to helm that himself...perhaps for HBO or Netflix? I really hope the commercial results of Inherent Vice haven't dissuaded him now. And then there are those recent comments about doing a Netflix series or something. He doesn't rule it out; he seems at least mildly intrigued by the idea. The Phantom Thread press tour included comments about him watching the new season of Twin Peaks, considerable praise for several BBC shows...

I mean, OK, everyone watches TV, so those last few examples might be whatever, but maybe he's preparing himself for work in another medium. Maybe he's thinking about how it's been done well elsewhere. We know he loves his research. He's been a film guy for so long, so maybe he's thinking about how to make a serialized television show really crackle in the best way.

So, yeah, that's what I've been wondering for a while: Is he thinking about transiting into TV at one point (not permanently, of course)? Is he still thinking about adapting Mason & Dixon? That novel is more important to him than IV, isn't it? He said it was his favourite Pynchon book.

---------------------------------------------------------

Rambling stuff aside, I've also been thinking about which of his films I'd want to see in mini-series form...or even as a multiple season thing. It's not that I think this will or even should happen, but I'm proposing a hypothetical scenario. If you had to pick just one of his films to transform into a television show, which would you pick?

I think I'd choose The Master because seeing a guy like Dodd develop over two or three seasons would be absolutely amazing...just in terms of, among other things, the different people he could meet and ostensibly help, and the vagabond/travelling aspect (house to house, shore to shore). You could easily wring a truly great and varied show out of that truly great and varied film.

Yes

New one is in the works supposedly. It's coming along. Likely an Annapurna release.

Punch Drunk Hate

Quote from: BigSock on September 14, 2018, 12:33:38 AM
New one is in the works supposedly. It's coming along. Likely an Annapurna release.

Source for the project?

Fortunate enough for fans that Anderson is not taking the time like that dead space between Punch Drunk Love-There Will Be Blood.