Women in refrigerators

Started by Jeremy Blackman, August 14, 2014, 02:04:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I'd never heard of this trope before, but it does seem to be pervasive.

I found it very effective in Braveheart, I'm not ashamed to admit.

This "Women In Refrigerators" supercut is downright chilling

http://www.avclub.com/article/women-refrigerators-supercut-downright-chilling-208150

After comics writer Gail Simone coined the phrase back in 1999, "women in refrigerators" has become shorthand for female characters forced to suffer through rape, torture, and even murder just to give their male counterparts convincing motivation and/or emotional depth. (Because, y'know, "justice" means nothing until your girlfriend gets raped.) Sadly, widespread awareness of the phenomenon hasn't done much to curtail its use, partially because it's an easy out for writers and partially because "raising awareness" means nothing on its own. And the phenomenon isn't just limited to comic books or even comic book movies, as demonstrated in Loose Meat's "Women In Refrigerators" supercut. If the musical choice didn't make it immediately, abundantly clear, there's more than a little sarcasm in their take on the phenomenon, but now we can all say that we are very, very aware of it.

max from fearless

Found this downright sickening in the new Spider-man and to boot he gets over her death in under 5 minutes of screen-time, in which we're subjected to a seasons passing montage after which he gets over it...

polkablues

For reference, and for the sake of knowing the answer to a future trivia question, this is the Green Lantern comic from which the name of the trope is derived:

My house, my rules, my coffee

Brando

How did only one Christopher Nolan movie make the cut?

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.