Podcasts

Started by cron, October 31, 2005, 06:33:32 PM

Reel

Hey, let me join!

Today I discovered The Dollop, Dave Anthony's 'other' podcast besides 'Walking The Room'. He does it with Garreth Reynolds who's a funny guy, good at voices and stuff. The show consists of Dave researching some bizarre occurrence in American history and bringing it to the table with Garreth relatively blind on the subject. Then they riff on it, Dave's one of the best riffers around but this Garreth guy is really quick, hadn't heard of him before today. Anyways, I recommend the Ghosts episode in which they discuss, amongst other things, ghost rape; as recently touched on in the shout box.

and if you still haven't, check out WALKING THE ROOM!!

polkablues

I totally missed that; who got ghost-raped in the shoutbox?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

it went like this

N [06|Aug 12:35 PM]:  The haunted house stuff isn't particularly any more scary to me than radioactive desert mutants or something. I'm more just looking for some good horror. Don't Look Now has been on my list for a long time. Mainly because of the awesome poster and Donald Sutherland.
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:37 PM]:   you might want to look at something like 'The Changeling', not my favorite but it's continually brought up as one of the scariest
Axolotl [06|Aug 12:37 PM]:   i don't get fear of ghosts. I'd be thrilled to see a ghost because either I've gone insane or you don't stop existing when you die. what's it gonna do, kill me?
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:43 PM]:   no but they can rape
Axolotl [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   what are some good ghost rape movies?
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   THE ENTITY!!!!!!!
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   so glad you asked
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   graphic ghost rape
N [06|Aug 12:46 PM]:   ghostbusters
N [06|Aug 12:46 PM]:   when she undoes his belt
N [06|Aug 12:46 PM]:   that was hot for me when i was 10
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:47 PM]:   i'll fucking bust all over a ghost

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

"i ain't aroused by no ghost!"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on August 09, 2014, 04:46:12 PMI especially love John Hodgman and Dan Harmon

Please tell me you've listened to the Judge John Hodgman podcast. It's long been in my top 3, but it's definitely grown into my absolute favorite.

Three favorite episodes of mine:

Justice is Out There (#29)
The Right to Remain Silent (#134)
Out of REC-order (#41)

jenkins

Quote from: Reelist 2.0 on August 09, 2014, 05:51:30 PM
Axolotl [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   what are some good ghost rape movies?
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   THE ENTITY!!!!!!!
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   so glad you asked
Reelist 2.0 [06|Aug 12:45 PM]:   graphic ghost rape

i'm blasting into an off topic region, but i wanna say that i've been going through de palma recently, and i noticed his dp stephen burum has a history that goes:

mission to mars -> snake eyes -> mission: impossible -> carlito's way -> raising cain -> casualties of war -> the untouchables -> body double -> rumble fish -> the outsiders -> the entity

awaiting relevance

Reel

On this weeks  The Dollop, they dive into the recent events in Ferguson, Missouri and some of the contributing factors in the region's history. They put a warning up top that it's not as funny an episode, but there's moments. Mostly it's just some sobering research and discussion that helps make some sense of the situation in the wake of all this mess.

Robyn

hmmmm, the biggest podcast in sweden are trying to get a wider audicine by recording in english.

listen to it here:
http://www.filipandfredrik.com

it's pretty funny and good.

Jeremy Blackman

Updated list of my favorite podcasts...

1. Judge John Hodgman
2. How Did This Get Made?
3. Pop Culture Happy Hour
4. International Waters
5. Slate's Culture Gabfest
6. The Dissolve Podcast
7. Kumail Nanjiani's The X-Files Files
8. Wham Bam Pow
9. Slate's Spoiler Special
10. How To Do Everything

Excellent filler podcasts:

Stuff You Should Know
The Moth Podcast
The Gist
Democracy Now
Soundcheck from WNYC
Philosophy Bites
Risk

Plus the NPR essentials:

This American Life
On the Media
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Ask Me Another

Jeremy Blackman

This week's edition of Slate's Culture Gabfest is that podcast at its best. Very entertaining episode... "Talk of Shame."

Shameless pandering: Remember it features film critic Dana Stevens, huge PTA fan.

Jeremy Blackman

Speaking of shamelessness, just to reiterate, every person on this message board should be required to try all of these podcasts:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 06, 2014, 12:53:03 PM1. Judge John Hodgman
2. How Did This Get Made?
3. Pop Culture Happy Hour
4. International Waters

These four podcasts bring me an indescribable quantity of joy every week (or every other week). Try them. Share in my joy. I would like to share my joy with you.

And actually, if you only try one, make it International Waters. It's pure candy... a skilfully written pop culture quiz + improvised comedy. It's also the podcast that proves that serious structure creates a sort of automatic consistency and inspires some amazing moments.

max from fearless

Rian Johnson (Looper) Talks with Terry Gilliam (The Zero Theorem) for The Talkhouse Film Podcast (Part 1)

In a wide-ranging discussion, the two directors discuss everything from the perils of social media to taking the mantle from George Lucas.

http://thetalkhouse.com/film/talks/rian-johnson-looper-talks-with-terry-gilliam-the-zero-theorem-for-the-talkhouse-film-podcast-part-1/