Favourite Lynch Film

Started by phil marlowe, January 21, 2003, 05:10:20 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: AK

Ah....someone ever watched this short animation called The Alphabet?
Lynch made it in the seventies...

Yeah. It's available on his short film compilation, in a nice cleaned up remastered version.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SigurIt just stroke me that no one chose The Straight Story. This film is a diamond....a true diamond!

Finally saw this over the weekend and it's fabulous. I had loved Farnsworth since he damn near stole "The Natural." It was great to see him at center stage in a full-length film. And bittersweet, since he died between the time the movie was released and I actually got around to seeing it.

For those who want to be filmmakers, there are many great examples of how great dialogue can drive a film, but ALSO of how you can have long stretches without dialogue and still tell a rich, moving story.

Needless to say, the Farnsworth/Stanton scene should go down as one of the best-acted, most-touching scenes in history. Beautiful stuff.

modage

for NEON, i think it would go like this...

1. TWIN PEAKS: PILOT - EPISODE 14 (i know it doesnt really count, but it's by far my favorite lynch, especially his episodes.)

2. BLUE VELVET
3. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
4. ERASERHEAD
5. ELEPHANT MAN
6. THE STRAIGHT STORY
7. LOST HIGHWAY
8. WILD AT HEART
9. FIRE WALK WITH ME
10. DUNE

but honestly, i would have to re-watch them all again to really have an opinion since i saw the first handful pre-Twin Peaks and didnt really 'get' him yet.  so that means WAH, EM, BV, even MD all need to be watched again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Eraserhead
Hotel Room Episode #3 'Blackout'
The Alphabet
The Amputee
Rabbits

Sleuth

What an odd thing to say
I like to hug dogs

modage

i forgot to add i happened upon the VHS pilot episode over the weekend for 5.99 at a video store and the quality is excellent.  now, i'll finally get to see that 'extended' ending i was warned about!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02for NEON, i think it would go like this...

1. TWIN PEAKS: PILOT - EPISODE 14 (i know it doesnt really count, but it's by far my favorite lynch, especially his episodes.)

2. BLUE VELVET
3. MULHOLLAND DRIVE
4. ERASERHEAD
5. ELEPHANT MAN
6. THE STRAIGHT STORY
7. LOST HIGHWAY
8. WILD AT HEART
9. FIRE WALK WITH ME
10. DUNE

but honestly, i would have to re-watch them all again to really have an opinion since i saw the first handful pre-Twin Peaks and didnt really 'get' him yet.  so that means WAH, EM, BV, even MD all need to be watched again.

thanks...

i also think re-evaluating those films will be rewarding ........i  do the same myself..............

and for kicks mine would be:

1. mulholland dr. [i still believe that biasis aside this is the greatest film so  far in the new millenium]
2. lost highway
3. blue velvet
4. eraserhead
5.  twin peaks : fire walk w/ me
6. wild at heart
7. straight story
8. the elephant man
9... dune

coke

Wild at Heart gets no love on here or so it seems. Im going with WAH.

Reel

feels so weird to say it, but 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me'

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on September 18, 2012, 06:57:51 PM
feels so weird to say it, but 'Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me'

Absolutely no shame in that. It's very near the top for me.

Jeremy Blackman

Strange. I remember posting a list here, but I haven't.

1. Inland Empire
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
4. Lost Highway
5. Blue Velvet
6. Wild At Heart
7. The Straight Story
8. Eraserhead
9. The Elephant Man
10. Dune

polkablues

One of these days I'll get around to watching Inland Empire.  I'm currently rewatching Twin Peaks on Netflix, and I definitely "get it" (what an awful phrase) in a way that I didn't when I first saw it.  I never saw Fire Walk With Me either, so that's next as soon as I'm done with the series.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Let me know if you get the latter part of Season 2, because I still think it's awful.

FWWM is great. It's like the very best Lynch-directed Twin Peaks episodes, except higher quality and more intense, and he's sort of pursuing different themes than the TV show. (It doesn't even try to be the definitive Twin Peaks movie.)

Reel

The Straight Story before Eraserhead??!!? you gotta be fucking me, JB.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Reelist on September 18, 2012, 10:20:21 PM
The Straight Story before Eraserhead??!!? you gotta be fucking me, JB.

I don't really like Eraserhead. It's tedious and student-film-ish. For me, it represents immature Lynch. Fetal Lynch, even. I liked it even less upon second viewing. The Straight Story is watchable.

Oh and I wasn't hallucinating:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=4876.0