Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

WorldForgot

Marathoned Richard Bates Jr's four filmz yesterday ~

Excision - True-blue Judy Blumez The Plague-Daemon. Well, not totally, but it iz a coming-of-body horror with great dream-logic interludes. A dope punk piece.

Suburban Gothic - Immediately feels like the tones been dialed down - which makes it cozy but not as thrilling as Bates Jr's debut. Did like the costume work and comedy here, but it felt like it was made for tv (Starz syndication?). Charming, not much else.

Trash Fire - As grim as Excision but keeps the body-horor cards closer to the chest. Functions as a grim family drama, nearly. Here it's clear that the scripts are hoping to give accessible tropes characters that feel true beyond what you'd typically see within these conventions. What I dig iz the sense of humor and commitment to aesthetic. This one's more gothic than the last.

Tone Deaf - By this point I'm a bit sleepy but that turns out to be perfect because the film plays the retreat/intruder trope totally straight and Amanda Crew & Robert Patrick are having fun with its escalating suspense. Reminded me of House of the Devil, although it's much 'loud'er than that.

polkablues

Excision is a wild movie. A little edge-lordy, and perhaps borrows a bit too liberally from Matthew Barney's aesthetic, but as a funhouse mirror version of a teen coming-of-age narrative, it has no peer.

I haven't seen the others yet, but I should remedy that. Somehow, I hadn't even heard of Trash Fire.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Quote from: polkablues on September 06, 2020, 01:26:03 PM
perhaps borrows a bit too liberally from Matthew Barney's aesthetic -

Wonder how you'll feel about the way this motif develops  - in Excision the (voidlike) Confession sequences offset it well. But it persists! lol Tipping the hat or, erm taking the piss? Dunno, but it seemz earnest.

jenkins

to stay abreast of this situation i watched Trash Fire. i must confess i fell asleep but rather than personal it was circumstantial. a real live firecracker here, this richard bates jr. glad to have met him

WorldForgot

Watched HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES twice this week, last night for the first time and just now to catch more of the production design and editing moves.

Didn't know this was going to be essentially a perfect love-letter to grindhouse + creature features. It recites from Texas Chain Saw Massacre in Rob Zombies voice the way Buffalo 66 sings in karaoke harmony with Eraserhead.

jenkins

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 11, 2020, 06:58:07 PM

it's not to my advantage that i've unfortunately and irrevocably left this demographic, largely and absolutely because of my job

i genuinely don't think there's any advantage to being open to fewer creative enterprises. this post is labeled Non Sarcastic

Quote from: WorldForgot on September 11, 2020, 07:01:26 PM
Watched HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES twice this week, last night for the first time and just now to catch more of the production design and editing moves.

Didn't know this was going to be essentially a perfect love-letter to grindhouse + creature features. It recites from Texas Chain Saw Massacre in Rob Zombies voice the way Buffalo 66 sings in karaoke harmony with Eraserhead.

it's wild to me how after learning i'm a cinephile many people i meet hope to build a bridge between us through Rob Zombie. he has a much larger fanbase than i would have guessed before i knew

WorldForgot

Rob Zombie fr cares about Michael, tries giving The Shape shape. Respect this more than i did the first time 'round, now that we've got a contemporary re-franchising, and having seen how Zombie's grindhouse language began. Still think House of 1000 Corpses tops them all -- for now -- but this iz kinda closer to that than Devil's Rejects iz, thanks to Laurie. H2 Director's Cut, soon...

- baby widda beanie
- Michael receives aggression, physical and psycho-sexual, first thing in the morning. sick KISS shirt tho.
- McDowell Loomis & Trejo as Michael's only friend ~ both great performances. Devils Rejects had puckish casting, too.
- all these masks... This Michael has at least one from Halloween III?
- cool how much time we spend in the ward, considering the second Carpenter/Hill flick. Along this same thread, Trejo iz served a Dream Warriors death.
- chill spazz monkey
- 'baconmobilez make me nauseous'
- baby widda beanie was Laurie!

Alethia

Can you record a Zombie H1 commentary in which you recite your notes in exactly this style and share it with us please? Thx. :)

polkablues

Jeremy Blackman

Watched Train to Busan as the last movie before I set aside my Shudder subscription for now.

Mostly it's a very fresh zombie flick (in which the word "zombie" actually appears!). Mixed feelings on some of the story and action beats, though, some of which are extremely by-the-numbers.

That girl, though. One of the best child actor performances I've ever seen.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I did not expect the body count to be that high. Holy crap.

polkablues

In addition to how good his own movies are, the impact Jordan Peele has had on proving the commercial viability of telling Black stories in the horror genre is huge (my ambivalence over the quality of Lovecraft Country notwithstanding). There are a bunch of really intriguing Black-led horror flicks coming out in the next couple months:

jenkins

don't let me miss some real bangers

criterion channel is bringing around bill gunn's Ganja & Hess, which spike lee remade and whose Personal Problems i adored. he was hired for Personal Problems because of Ganja & Hess

they'll also have abel ferrara's The Driller Killer. and a bob clark movie i've never seen currently titled Deathdream and previously titled Dead of Night

oct 21 they'll have The Velvet Vampire, which the new bev doubled with Trouble Every Day

oct 23 they've already had Kate Plays Christine now they'll have Christine, which can be called horror because suicide

Sleepless

Here's the 70s horror collection now on Criterion Channel:

Trog (Freddie Francis, 1970)
The Vampire Lovers (Roy Ward Baker, 1970)
Daughters of Darkness (Harry Kümel, 1971)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (John D. Hancock, 1971)
The Nightcomers (Michael Winner, 1971)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (Alan Gibson, 1972)
Images (Robert Altman, 1972)
Death Line (Gary Sherman, 1972)
Season of the Witch (George A. Romero, 1972)
The Crazies (George A. Romero, 1973)
Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)
Sisters (Brian De Palma, 1973)
Theater of Blood (Douglas Hickox, 1973)
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)
Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974)
Deathdream (Bob Clark, 1974)
It's Alive (Larry Cohen, 1974)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974)
Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975)
The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976)*
The Witch Who Came from the Sea (Matt Cimber, 1976)
The Hills Have Eyes (Wes Craven, 1977)
Rabid (David Cronenberg, 1977)
Coma (Michael Crichton, 1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman, 1978)
Long Weekend (Colin Eggleston, 1978)
The Brood (David Cronenberg, 1979)
The Driller Killer (Abel Ferrara, 1979)

Also, has anyone seen Antebellum yet? Thoughts?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Thanks for this list, Sleepless. Hype to rewatch most of these, and to discover Altman's Images. I'll see if any friends are down to go into the October spiral. :twisted: