Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

Jeremy Blackman

NOMINATE THE 2005 XIXAX AWARDS

Attention!

Nominating for the 2005 Xixax Awards will begin this Saturday (January 15) and will end the following Friday (January 21).

So now is a good time to think of movies from 2004 that you want to nominate. We can also work out any potential issues. For example, Dogville is eligible this year.

We plan to have nominations and awards announced immediately preceding the Oscar nominations and awards.

Stefen

Ohhh that time!!! I'm stoked. Super stoked.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

How's the dvd category going to work this year? Will there be a boxset category this time?
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Can't we wait til March? I hate nominating from just half the field. Some of us really are limited in what movies we can see and really have to go out of our way to not be totally lost in craze of new films.

Also, let it be known that I want the film The Son (Jean Pierre and Luc Dardenne) to be considered for the 2004 ballot. True, the film had a release in the United States as early as 2002 and likely even earlier (I think its premiere was at the New York Film Festival in '01). Its just that its largest theatrical release extended to just a few name cities at once and for barely any time at each place. It had nothing of the scope of a proper release and shown so sporadically that theatrically it played in even 2004 in Milwaukee. Thus I think this film's proper release is its DVD release which was in 2004 and gave everyone a fair chance to see it. Also, I think Songs From the Second Floor should be allowed in under this rule as it finally got released last year. True, I may be the only person nominating these films, but they should be noted still.

Myxo

Did PTA release anything this year that I can vote for?

:lol:

Sorry. Had to do that.

Tough call for me between Sideways and Million Dollar Baby..

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MyxomatosisTough call for me between Sideways and Million Dollar Baby..
Remember, though, when you nominate you can have 5 per category.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: MyxomatosisTough call for me between Sideways and Million Dollar Baby..
Remember, though, when you nominate you can have 5 per category.

I assume categories will be the same of last year, will they?

And I'm also with GT, I haven't seen the following films cause they haven't been released here: Aviator, Huckabees, Million Dollar Baby, Sideways, Closer, Finding Neverland, Kinsey, Birth, Vera Drake, The Sea Inside, House of Flying Daggers, A Very Long Engagement, H. Rwanda, etc.

pete

can't we wait 'til last life in the universe comes out on the dvd?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

I Wanna wait until Cinema Obscura gets released.  True, it won't be released until 2007 and that's just in Japan, but I think it should be considered a 2004 release so I can vote for it.

pete

now you're just confusing the issues by being a craphead.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

Jeremy Blackman

It's time to vote for the 2005 Xixax Awards nominations!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is Friday January 21.

THE RULES:

you have to
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-F (or #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with G-K, send your ballot to Jeremy Blackman
. . . .If your username begins begins with L-Q, send your ballot to RegularKarate
. . . .If your username begins begins with R-Z, send your ballot to cinephile
2. copy the form provided below and paste it into your PM
3. only list the movie in each category, not the person who would win (unless it's an acting category)
4. specify the actor and movie (for the acting categories), like this: Actor - "Movie"
5. use the most common title with foreign films (ask if you're not sure)
6.  use full titles ("Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" instead of "LOTR: FOTR")
7. (for the DVD category) specify the original theatrical release date if there are different versions or remakes (for example, Ocean's 11)
8. nominate titles in alphabetical order
9. title your PM "xixax awards 2005" (please!)

you should
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion (and not consensus)

you can't
1. nominate more than 5 movies per category
2. send more than one ballot
3. vote from different memberships
4. make your nominations with caps lock on
5. nominate publicly
6. put "the" before anything
7. change your ballot (after January 21)

you can
1. nominate fewer than 5 (whatever you're comfortable with)
2. nominate box sets in the Best DVD Release category

copy and paste....

BEST FILM

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE

BEST SCREENPLAY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC

BEST EDITING

BEST SOUND

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

BEST DEBUT FILM

BEST DOCUMENTARY

BEST DVD RELEASE

Jeremy Blackman

If there are any eligibility questions, ask them here.

I know it's been a while for most of our international members, but Dogville is eligible this year.

Remember the difference between leading performances and supporting performances. If there are several similarly weighted roles in a movie, they can all be called leading. A supporting role is truly subordinate, somewhere between "cameo" and "leading."

In Collateral, Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise are both leading.

In Kill Bill Vol. 2, Uma Thurman is leading and everyone else is supporting.

In Garden State, Zach Braff and Natalie Portman are both leading.

If anything else is ambigious, ask here and we'll try to clear it up. Or make an argument if you think certain actors are leading or supporting.

ono

For director, actor, etc. do you want like, say "Ed Wood" or "Wood, Ed?"  (Asking because I'm also wondering if you want these alphabetical too?)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wantautopia?For director, actor, etc.
You don't have to name any directors. Only name actors.