Academy Award nominations

Started by MacGuffin, February 11, 2003, 07:52:16 AM

©brad

Meryl Streep gave an acceptance speech? But she didn't win. Would have loved to hear that one that Jonze and Kaufman wrote. Any sites that have past oscar speeches just out of curiosity?

Redlum

Quote from: cbrad4dMeryl Streep gave an acceptance speech? But she didn't win.

She read the Kaufman's acceptance speech for them from a sheet of paper, as they couldn't attend. But they wrote it so that it would mess with her. Writing in the first person in some places and the 3rd in others so that Meryl Streep unmodestly praised her own performance and the occasional "that was me - Charlie, speaking by the way".
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

jmj

The Oscars suck.  They are as bad as political campaigns.  All about the money.  Fuck 'em.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Recce

Yeah, they are, but I'll still watch. More for nostalgia reasons, though, when their nominations meant something. Not like last year where it was completely based on...well, I'm not sure what it was based on, but you all know what I'm talking about. As for this years nominations, does anyone have a problem with The Hours getting so many nominations. There were actually a lot of good fairly mainstream films this year, but The Hours is considered one of the best? I don't think so. Though, I've heard you have to be a woman to properly enjoy it.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

oakmanc234

First off, f*** 'Chicago'!!!
An over-rated, over-flashy and depthless piece of junk that while it did pack the cinema that I saw it in, many people were seen (and heard) falling asleep. The only character I liked was John C. Reilley's (his musical number blew Jones's, Zellweger's and Gere's out of the water).
Yeah for Marty, though. He better get the Oscar or there will truly be no sense in the world.
I dont think I'll ever get over 'PDL's snub. PTA, the screenplay, cinematography, score and Sandler were especially more than worthy of recognition. Sandler should've at least won at the Globes. I felt so sorry for him (he looked so happy during the nomination call) but like PTA said in a recent interview, the Oscar's will never notice someone like Adam.
I'm happy for 'Adaptation'. That movie was terrific.
Nicholson was a delight in 'Schmidt' and more than deserved his nom and Globe win.
'Two Towers', 'Perdition', 'Minority', and 'Catch Me' gladly also got noms.

But other than those, I consider this year's Oscars to be a major f*** up.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

supremelegend

QuoteRE: "Y Tu Mama Tambien" - Academy Rules for Best Foreign Film state: The film must be first released in the country of origin between November 1, 2001 and October 31, 2002. "Y Tu Mama Tambien" was released in Mexico on June 8, 2001.

Actually, the big reason why it wasn't nominated (this year or any other) was because Mexico decided not to submit it to the Academy for a nomination in that category, because the content concerning Mexican poverty and violence in the film made their country look bad.

MacGuffin

Quote from: supremelegend
QuoteRE: "Y Tu Mama Tambien" - Academy Rules for Best Foreign Film state: The film must be first released in the country of origin between November 1, 2001 and October 31, 2002. "Y Tu Mama Tambien" was released in Mexico on June 8, 2001.

Actually, the big reason why it wasn't nominated (this year or any other) was because Mexico decided not to submit it to the Academy for a nomination in that category, because the content concerning Mexican poverty and violence in the film made their country look bad.

I stand by my reasons.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Okay, here's something I just realized that doesn't make a lick of sense. Why is John C. Reiley nominated for best supporting actor and richard gere not?  john c is my boy and all, but fuck- he is barely in the movie! Richard's like a main character. makes no sense to me.

budgie

Quote from: cbrad4dOkay, here's something I just realized that doesn't make a lick of sense. Why is John C. Reiley nominated for best supporting actor and richard gere not?  john c is my boy and all, but fuck- he is barely in the movie! Richard's like a main character. makes no sense to me.

It's gotta be a reward for all his hard work propping up the names this year, though I don't think he's doing himself many favours. If he had to be nominated I wish it had been for The Good Girl rather than fucking (spit) Chicago, which is just part of the effort to re-establish the musical. And I agree that if someone had to be up for that shit, then it should be Gere, even if he can't dance, because at least his overall performance had some energy. I found Reilly's number embarrassingly under-charged.
But I blame the director really.

Outraged also about Kidman (who will probly win) and not Moore and Streep. Also that Streep is counted as supporting. I would love to see Christopher Walken win, and Nicholas Cage should win, but I will enjoy crazy Dan dissolving in tears, and the levitating ovation for Scorsese.

©brad

yeah i am feeling the chills already from the impending ovation upon scorsese's win. (wouldn't you love it if Almodovar won though?!) i want to do a "who you want to win/who you think is going to win" thread but i just dont have the fucking energy.

MacGuffin

Eminem To Boycott Oscars?

Reports from the US indicate that Oscar-nominee Eminem will not be appearing at the prestigious Academy Awards ceremony to perform his track 'Lose Yourself' off his film '8 Mile.'

A source at Interscope Records has been quoted by WENN news as saying that the rapper turned actor is taking time off out of the spotlight and as a result won't be performing or attending the March 23 awards show at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

As previously reported Eminem is nominated in the Best Original Song category for 'Lose Yourself'. Other nominees include U2 (for 'The Hands That Built America' from 'Gangs of New York') and Paul Simon, for 'Father and Daughter' from 'The Wild Thornberrys Movie') both of whom are tipped to perform.

His decision may also have been influenced by reports that Oscar organisers have been worried about handling a live performance as the track includes some strong language. Oscar academy president Gil Cates has already been quoted as guaranteeing that show would be as unobjectionable as possible saying,

"The Academy Awards show is a show for the family. I mean, everyone watches the show, and we're very much aware of that. Obviously we would not knowingly have anything on the show which would be offensive."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

damn this is one of the things i was looking forward to. eminem at the oscars, can't beat that. and u gotta love that song, no matter how overplayed it is on the radio.

RegularKarate

No... this makes it better because now they're gonna have to have some interpretive dancer or Celine Dion to perform the song instead.  That will be awesome.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateNo... this makes it better because now they're gonna have to have some interpretive dancer or Celine Dion to perform the song instead.
..or robin williams.  :shock: :!:

sheesus.
under the paving stones.

©brad

here's some pics. for my fellow masturbating friends taken from the academy awards luncheon.

r they about to kiss?

mmmmm....

I said god damn!

:shock: I don't feel so good.