Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

wilberfan

Alethia

Something Spanish

fuck, man. for 10 bucks a month that was a pretty sweet deal. i actually watch at least a movie or two a week on that. and their adventures in moviegoing series is really fun.

Alethia

First Moviepass hangs itself, now this. 2018, you best unfuck yourself or I will definitely fuck you up.

wilberfan

Alethia

Daisy, Daisy
Give me your answer do...

wilberfan

I actually cried at HAL's death scene a few months ago during the 50th Anniversary screening.  Probably my 40th viewing of the film over all these years--but it moved more this time than any of the previous times I've seen it.  I guess HAL felt like a much older friend after all this time.  Mortality is a bitch.

Alethia

Same! He does not strike me as even remotely villainous these days. I found him wholly sympathetic.

The IMAX 70 screening I attended this past summer was by far the most profound experience I have ever had with this film. And I've seen it many many times, on practically every format. It's beyond cinema; simply one of the great works of art of the modern age. Not sure anything else even comes close.

wilberfan

I saw the film first-run in Cinerama as a tender, science-NASA nerd--all of 15 years old. Grew up watching Carpenter, Glenn, et al launch LIVE--without knowing what was going to happen at each launch.   

I'm not exaggerating when I say watching 2001 that first time was one of my first religious experiences.  (The other would have been my first planetarium show at the age of 9 or 10.)   I think I went 3 more times while it was still in it's reserved-seating engagement.  One of the things I'm proudest of regarding my viewings of this film is that I've never seen it on a small screen.  Every single one of my 40-ish viewings has been in a theatrical setting.   Anything else would feel....disrespectful, somehow.   

polkablues

Stan Lee died, so get ready for every Marvel movie to have a CGI version of him show up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

He has a cameo in Teen Titans Go To The Movies (which is actually a great film btw). Even though it's a DC film. Just shows what a huge figure he was in the industry.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

William Goldman

Ouch.

[edit]  Cool story related by Jonathan Demme about Goldman and "Silence of the Lambs".

Reel

Tonight we just so happened to be screening "The Princess Bride" at the theater where I work. No, we did not plan to show it on the day that he died, things just worked out that way. Wouldn't it be cool if we had that power though? It was a real honor to be showing one of his most beloved films today, even though the crowd was small it just really felt like we were doing him a solid.

RIP William Goldman

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee