Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Brando

Link includes predictions and possible spoilers.

don't remember all of Walt's murderous traits, here is a list:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/breaking-bad-easter-eggs-that-will-blow-your-mind
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Tictacbk

Quote from: Fernando on August 15, 2013, 11:52:40 AM
I think Hank has enough to approach Jesse "if" he decides to take that road.

I think Lydia's next move might be to hit up Jesse too.  None of which will go over well with Jesse.

Fernando

I think Hank would have a better shot with Jesse than Lydia; beats me how she could convince Jesse to go back or do something for her...

btw, I wonder if Hank will see a connection between Lydia and Walt, she still might have good points for letting Hank know about the gps tracker so maybe right now she isn't under Hank's radar...

Brando

It would be an interesting twist to find out that Walt left his cook in the hands of Todd. It makes since cause we left off with Walt teaching him how to cook. It also allows for the writers to bring back his character for the final 8.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

I feel like a guilt-ridden Jesse would open up to Hank. Their last antagonistic experience was a long time ago.

Jesse knowing about Mike could be insufficient. Shouldn't Jesse have some other discovery about Walt that causes him to fully turn? There's not much available in that department, and the lily of the valley has been disposed of.

I suppose he could go to Hank about Lydia, but I don't see that happening. He lacks evidence against Lydia and would be essentially turning himself in.

It just works better if Hank approaches Jesse and does it in an unofficial capacity. I really want that to happen for some reason. There would be something perfectly redemptive and "full circle" about them teaming up, since the series began with Hank chasing after him.

modage

Now you can read part 2 of my interview with writer/producer George Mastras. I asked him about reverse-engineering vs. having everything planned out in advance, writing themselves into a corner, the decision to jump ahead in time and if they felt any special pressure to tie up all the loose ends with the final episodes. Let me know what you think!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/interview-breaking-bad-writer-producer-george-mastras-talks-wrapping-up-the-series-much-more-20130813
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Very nice. You're a great interviewer Mod. I loved the question about how does it feel to be one of the few people on the planet to know how it all ends.

The part when you ask about the jump in quality from season 1 to 2 was ballsy! I have to say I didn't notice such a drastic jump.

Jeremy Blackman

This was definitely a connector episode, but probably one of the best they've done. Certainly more exciting than some of them from Season 4.

But what I loved about the episode is how deeply everything rang true. Just across the board, from one scene to the next, beginning to end. Skylar's reaction to Hank, Marie's reaction to the truth (how tricky must that have been?), Lydia's situation, and of course the Hank/Jesse connection.

Speaking of which, if it does indeed materialize, I imagined their team-up being less official. Maybe Hank can still take it in that direction.

Jeremy Blackman

Podcast updates from Kelley Dixon:

Ok here's the deal. The threat of hackers has AMC and Sony on alert so I can't deliver them till after 10 on Sunday. They get em online asap

Podcasts should be on amctv by monday am, itunes hopefully by Tuesday sometime.  They are AWESOME--WORTH THE WAIT!!  SAVOUR!!

modage

My main takeaway from this episode is something I haven't seen mentioned in any recap yet: this was Skyler's "Gray Matter" moment. Though she's been complicit in Walt's bad behavior for a while now, prior to this episode you could have made the case that she was scared, had no choice, etc. But when Hank offers her a way out and the thing she's said she wanted all along (safety for her kids) and she chooses to stay and to keep the money (as per Walt's wishes), she's essentially doomed herself as far as "Breaking Bad"'s moral universe is concerned. She will not get out of this clean.

Conversely, Jesse, I'm now convinced will end up making it out okay. He's done horrible things but he's also repented for them. He's put himself through hell before anyone else can do the sentencing. But guilt alone isn't enough to absolve him, however, giving away ALL of his money is. By Skyler deciding to hold onto the money and Jesse giving his away it becomes pretty clear who the show plans on bringing justice towards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brando

There is only six episodes left. That's not a lot but so much has happened in these last two episodes that six seems like an entire season. Breaking Bad has always moved at a measured pace that I can't recall any two conjoining episodes this much has happened outside the two final episodes of a season.

Lady Heisenberg and her Jesse really made an entrance. I have no idea how Walt will be dragged back into it by these two but can't wait to find out. These finally 8 were made for binge viewing.

We know Saul is looking for Jesse. He could learn he's been arrested and show up and see him talking to Hank. If Jesse doesn't tell Hank anything, that might be enough for Walt to kill Jesse. If Jesse does agree to help, Saul could still find out.

Quote from: modage on August 15, 2013, 08:21:14 PM
Now you can read part 2 of my interview with writer/producer George Mastras. I asked him about reverse-engineering vs. having everything planned out in advance, writing themselves into a corner, the decision to jump ahead in time and if they felt any special pressure to tie up all the loose ends with the final episodes. Let me know what you think!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/interview-breaking-bad-writer-producer-george-mastras-talks-wrapping-up-the-series-much-more-20130813
Great interview. Working in the Breaking Bad writer's rooms sounds to be a difficult and almost impossible task while being very enjoyable.

©brad

Definitely a connector episode, but a great one at that.

I'm really ready for Jesse to do something now. I understand his relapse but it's just not that interesting dramatically.

Jeremy Blackman

The podcast is up on the website and iTunes.

Tictacbk

He's my crazy theory on whats going to happen (I'm sure all of which will go to shit after next week's episode):

Walt will turn himself in to the DEA.  He won't admit to being the full on mastermind behind everything, just the cook behind the blue meth.  He will offer to help bring down the "real mastermind," Lydia, in exchange for his family's safety and some degree of immunity.  By doing this he'll keep his family and his money, and get Hank fired from the DEA.  He'll help the DEA bring down Lydia, Todd, and some of her new crazy crew of Aryans and then the DEA will place him and his family in New Hampshire under witness protection.  All is well for everyone (except Hank) until the Aryans find Walt's family and kill them.  Walt heads back to New Mexico to get a big gun and some poison and take everyone out once and for all.  After he takes them out he goes to get a barrel of money.  Hank is there waiting for him, Walt says "I'm finished!" then Hank puts a bullet in his head.  Fade to Black.  You Can't Always Get What You Want credits music.

...Oh and Jesse will help Hank figure out where the money is or something.

Jeremy Blackman

For that he would have to stretch the truth into something not even resembling reality, and he has no evidence with which to do that. Also, Hank would be involved and possibly even in charge on the DEA side. There's no going around him. How would he get Hank fired?