punk band recommendations

Started by Ernie, March 31, 2003, 02:52:07 PM

godardian

Quote from: classical gassorry, behind on my reply; xixax wasn't working for me last night, anyone else have the same problem?  
but yeah, i was talking about the snob thing; but it's fine, i understand it better once i pondered it a little.
i do like punk though; just not as much as my friends...well, they're more into the smiths and the 'emo' (whatever it is) kind of punk...maybe it's a completely different thing or just a spawn of punk....
i've been listening to iggy pop and the stooges as of lately and international noise conspiracy...my friends recommended the latter to me as a band that is better than the white stripes, cause he knows i love them, but i think he seems to think that the stripes are punk, when i've always thought of them as rock, bluesy kind of band.
also, what's the deal with elvis costello?  people refer to him as punk....i don't get it....also, in regards to early velvet underground...what records could you guys recommend?  i've only heard the later years.

Get the self-titled Velvet Underground from '69, which is a little bit more consistently great than the '67 ...and Nico. Both are must-haves for any record collection, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

i like LOADED best, is there something wrong with me?

also, elvis costello rules.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02i like LOADED best, is there something wrong with me?

Oh, no, not at all. Everything through Loaded is an embarrassment of riches. Some fantastic Lou Reed and John Cale solo stuff followed, as well. And Nico's collaborations with John Cale go unmatched.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

E-Snizz

ebeaman, don't listen to all these phuckos. buy the new Blink 182 album and start getting into Good Charlotte and New Found Glory, bands like that. All for your pop-punk listening pleasure.

godardian

Quote from: E-Snizzebeaman, don't listen to all these phuckos. buy the new Blink 182 album and start getting into Good Charlotte and New Found Glory, bands like that. All for your pop-punk listening pleasure.

Yeah... blink-182 is way more interesting than The Velvet Underground.  :lol:  They're rebels!

Jeremy Blackman

I know one thing: NOFX is obnoxious.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI know one thing: NOFX is obnoxious.

Quote from: a person who has vast amounts of musical knowledgeI agree and I know another thing:  Rancid sucks

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI know one thing: NOFX is obnoxious.

I would think that someone like you would be able to appreciate NOFX, JB.

And Rancid shouldn't be compared... they're total shit.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateI would think that someone like you would be able to appreciate NOFX, JB.

Is there something particularily redeeming that I should listen to? I admit they are clever, but... obnoxious.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RegularKarateI would think that someone like you would be able to appreciate NOFX, JB.

Is there something particularily redeeming that I should listen to? I admit they are clever, but... obnoxious.

Yeah...well the cleverness, but it's the overall atitude they have that I would see you getting into.

I can understand the "obnoxious" thing because Fat Mike has that kind of voice, but once you get past that, it adds something to it.

Plus... they're cool because:

A) They released a really good 19 minute punk song.
B) They put this label on thier cds : "If the price of the CD is more than $9, don't buy it, that's too much."

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIs there something particularily redeeming that I should listen to? I admit they are clever, but... obnoxious.
they sing about chomsky.
under the paving stones.

Witkacy

They(all those so-cal punk bands) may refer to government and ideas and it's more than what most bands do but ultimately if NOFX or Blink 182 do what people call radical stuff it still falls short.  I appreciate well intentioned naive views but they have a short audience. If the media can free itself from the confines of the corp. elite  then maybe we can start changing opinion... but I do appreciate all efforts.

RegularKarate

that's laughable... aren't you the "anarchist"?

anyway,  NOFX shouldn't really be compared with Blink 182.

and they're not a "Political band", they just have a problem with the system, so they share thier opinions.

Witkacy

I may say i'm an anarchist... but it doesn't exclude my opinion from pop culture or my opinions about gov't. Also there's a big difference between a socio-anarchist and a right wing individualist anarchist.  I believe in gov't on a certain level especially when it comes to critiques of the neo-liberalist capitalist model where one cannot dismiss the role of gov't.
As far as the bands go... I don't really have any solid relevant stance... Blink 182 was big in the scene in 1996 and that's it.  The only relevant and well spoken musician I've heard in the last few years is Ben Harper... even then that's starting to lag. In the end, I'm still looking back to the bands that broke ground and made a difference in the late 70's.. early 80's.  Not punk but KRS-One and  Public Enemy knew what was what in the 80's.