Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Frederico Fellini

What's the deal with the kid and the yellow remote control car outside of Hank's house?
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Brando

Quote from: Freddie on August 19, 2013, 08:08:09 PM
What's the deal with the kid and the yellow remote control car outside of Hank's house?

It's a call back to season 1. He was outside driving another remote control car when Marie ran over it. I think it was used these last two episodes to show there was no jump in time.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

polkablues

Prediction: the money is lost forever after Walt Jr. finds the lottery ticket on the fridge, discovers it's a $200 winner, and cashes it in. He spends all the money on late night breakfast at Denny's with Lewis.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Brando

Lets say Jesse cooperates with Hank. It's still a drug addict/dealer's word against a cancer patient carwash owner. I personally can't think of any physical evidence Jesse might have on Walt. It might be enough for them to bring Walt in but I'm sure Saul could get him out. I don't see enough to charge him. Would Hank want to do that? It only shows Walt that Jesse is talking.

The thing that is weighing the heaviest of Jesse is death of the dirt bike kid.  The kid and Mike's death is why Jesse is where he is right now. He could tell them how the kid died.  Jesse could say I'll tell you everything but you have to arrest Todd. Lady Heisenberg is now without a cook.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

mogwai

So where was Walt Jr during last episode?

Ghostboy

One of the most brilliant things that is happening is that everyone is starting to look like Heisenberg. From at least two of the drug henchmen sporting bald heads and identical goatees to the Hank's bud at the DEA prominently sporting Walt's facial hair (and even the other guy, briefly glimpsed as Hank returns to work, with the Yosemite Sam mustache kinda ties into this theme). So great.

Cloudy

As much as people are saying Skyler is "breaking bad", I just don't see that. She's still maintaining the same philosophy on the matter as she always has. Except now Hank knows, but with no evidence. If she tells hank it all, she knows that her kids will know the truth about Walt and her family may be broken apart. She doesn't want that.

I really wish this show wasn't 45 minutes a week. Last episode was such a tease. This show requires a full hour at least a week in order for me to be satisfied in one viewing. I was so used to binging that this is just excruciating.

Quote from: Ghostboy on August 19, 2013, 10:59:46 PM
(and even the other guy, briefly glimpsed as Hank returns to work, with the Yosemite Sam mustache kinda ties into this theme). So great.
This totally caught my eye while watching but I didnt connect it to anything until now. Interesting. Why would everyone start looking like Walt.

Reel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2012, 03:42:23 AM
Oh and did anyone else notice Michael Bowen? I half expected Walt's response to be "you have to be nicer to me."

Dude. I totally missed that! I never would've guessed it was Michael Bowen. Goddamn, that's a good makeup job.

I still can't believe it's him.

Uncle Jack

Buck the rapist

©brad

Holy hell. That confession video was amazing to watch. It just went on and on, and the stunned silence between Hank and Marie was so haunting. Shit is happening y'all. There's really not an ounce of fat in these episodes.

Some strays:
- I always usually can anticipate when an episode is about to end, but this is one of the first ones that caught me completely off guard.
- The scene in the Mexican restaurant along with the confession sequence both belong in the Breaking Bad pantheon of awesome.
- Cold open was under-whelming. It didn't tell us anything new, except that Todd has this weird wanting-to-please-daddy complex with Walt and is proactively keeping him up to speed on things. There was no holy-shit factor as there has been with the most recent teasers. My guess is Todd will start fucking up the cook and his Nazi brethren/Lydia will threaten Walt.
- The internet is abuzz with criticism about Jesse's big revelation. The reveal is admittedly a bit clunky and you could nitpick it if you want, but at this point I'm not gonna bitch. It had to happen somehow, and I like how they handled it with just a look. I didn't really understand why having an 1/8 of weed on him would be such a catastrophe with Mr. Vacuum guy. But I guess dude doesn't mess around and would want someone completely sober who will follow his instructions.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, that "confession" tape is one of the most genius things they've ever done on the show. I was happy to learn that Vince pitched that idea. I would continue to express how much I loved it, but it really speaks for itself.

People are complaining about the ricin discovery, really? I thought it was great. And yes, it makes sense that the disappearer wouldn't want Jesse to have anything illegal on him in case they get pulled over or something.

In the podcast they described the cold open as "housekeeping," which kind of surprised me. But the shot of them driving into New Mexico is still a bit foreboding. I'm sure something will come of that.

Brando

Quote from: ©brad on August 26, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
Holy hell. That confession video was amazing to watch. It just went on and on, and the stunned silence between Hank and Marie was so haunting. Shit is happening y'all. There's really not an ounce of fat in these episodes.

So many things were going through my mind during that confession. Cranston's performance was incredible. I think that video was Walt at his most evil. We've seen him let a girl die, kill people and be a monster. This was calm, calculated and targeted towards his family. I had the same reaction to it as Marie and Hank. I was in horror. Walt was so believable and everything lined up so perfectly culminating in the reveal of Hank's medical bills being paid by drug money that anyone who sees the video would believe it.

Jesse said he would never talk to Hank but he might he talk to someone else. Hank is so determined that he be the one to bring in Walt that he might end up going down with him. It's been a common prediction that Hank will be the hero and bring down Walt. Hank already said his career is over once this gets out. Hank's pride might cause him and Marie go down with Walt and Skyler.

During the scene where Jesse is getting ready to leave I got the impression that was going to be the last time I saw Jesse. I've seen shows with similar scenes with a departing character and the scenes felt the same way.

- The internet is abuzz with criticism about Jesse's big revelation. The reveal is admittedly a bit clunky and you could nitpick it if you want, but at this point I'm not gonna bitch. It had to happen somehow, and I like how they handled it with just a look. I didn't really understand why having an 1/8 of weed on him would be such a catastrophe with Mr. Vacuum guy. But I guess dude doesn't mess around and would want someone completely sober who will follow his instructions.

I didn't have a problem with it either for the reason that was what Jesse originally thought happened. He didn't come up with it out of the blue. I think it could have been more subtle. Jesse didn't need any evidence that Walt killed Mike so I think it could have been a slight nudge to make Jesse come to that realization.

- The scene in the Mexican restaurant along with the confession sequence both belong in the Breaking Bad pantheon of awesome.

Only Breaking Bad could get away with setting that scene in that kind of restaurant with that kind of decor.

polkablues

My new theory: After the first episode of this half of the season, there were all the theories about the jacket Walt wears in the flash-forward, and how it's similar to Jesse's jacket, implying that Walt has killed Jesse by that point. Anyone notice Todd's jacket in this episode...?

New theory #B: the ricin ends up in that guacamole.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tictacbk

If the ricin revelation (ricelation?) happened last season I might have had a problem with it.  He does jump to a few conclusions there.  That weed looked really easy swipe, but a single cigarette out of a pack would take some doing.  Whatever though, there's only so much Breaking Bad left and I'll be damned if I don't just sit back and enjoy every moment of it.  I'm glad Jesse is finally doing something.  And I hope Huell's pickpocket skillz come into play when the Saul Spinoff happens.

Here's a question about the confession video:  why is Marie taking the $177k the nail in the coffin?  To me it's the only part of the confession that doesn't quite add up.  If Hank really was the drug kingpin Walt is saying he is, wouldn't he have his own millions to spend on his medical bills?  Having said that, the confession video is brilliant.

Brando

Quote from: polkablues on August 26, 2013, 05:26:31 PM
My new theory: After the first episode of this half of the season, there were all the theories about the jacket Walt wears in the flash-forward, and how it's similar to Jesse's jacket, implying that Walt has killed Jesse by that point. Anyone notice Todd's jacket in this episode...?

The podcast have ruined me taking any clues from the flash forwards. Every time the writers mention the flash forwards it's followed by an admission that they had no idea at the time why Walt was doing what he was doing.

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 26, 2013, 06:25:55 PM
That weed looked really easy swipe, but a single cigarette out of a pack would take some doing. 

Walt knew what kind of cigarettes Jesse smoked. I'm pretty sure they just replaced Jesse's pack with an entirely new pack.

Here's a question about the confession video:  why is Marie taking the $177k the nail in the coffin?  To me it's the only part of the confession that doesn't quite add up.  If Hank really was the drug kingpin Walt is saying he is, wouldn't he have his own millions to spend on his medical bills?  Having said that, the confession video is brilliant.

Walt said Hank sold Walt into servitude then Hank and Gus had a falling out leaving Hank on the outside. It's not really important cause the most important and most damning part is that head of the DEA's $177k worth of medical bills were paid using drug money. I'm sure everyone would focus on that rather then think about why he didn't have the cash.

Tictacbk

Quote from: Brando on August 26, 2013, 06:41:56 PM

That weed looked really easy swipe, but a single cigarette out of a pack would take some doing. 

Walt knew what kind of cigarettes Jesse smoked. I'm pretty sure they just replaced Jesse's pack with an entirely new pack.

Ah yes.  Good call. I guess I just had that image of Saul holding the cigarette in a plastic baggy burned into my brain.