Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Stefen

:shock: Thru the tray slot tho. Walter White got goons yall.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Hank notwithstanding, is it even feasible for Walt to simply "get out" like that?  The Phoenix cartel might have something to say about that after all the trouble Walt gave them to end up supplying his product for them.  Is he selling the remainder of the methylene to them after all?  For that matter, if he's not doing business with Lydia, doesn't she go back to being a loose end?  And what about Todd?  He's way too entrenched and knows way too much to just cut him free and set him loose.

There was either a lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes that we weren't privy to, or Walt did not think this through AT ALL.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

* How long do you think the masterminds had "Crystal Blue Persuasion" in their pocket to use in a key episode?

* My imagination, or did Lydia come off as attractive when she got to show some confidence and actually smile for once?

* I thought something TERRIBLE involving the kids getting shot was going to happen in that last scene by the pool. Why? We'd find out. Or something. But No. We ended on a note where we question our loyalties now.

Reel

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on September 03, 2012, 04:40:51 PM
* My imagination, or did Lydia come off as attractive when she got to show some confidence and actually smile for once?

Hell yeah! Guess I'm not alone then.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on September 03, 2012, 03:41:06 PM
Hank notwithstanding, is it even feasible for Walt to simply "get out" like that?  The Phoenix cartel might have something to say about that after all the trouble Walt gave them to end up supplying his product for them.  Is he selling the remainder of the methylene to them after all?  For that matter, if he's not doing business with Lydia, doesn't she go back to being a loose end?  And what about Todd?  He's way too entrenched and knows way too much to just cut him free and set him loose.

There was either a lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes that we weren't privy to, or Walt did not think this through AT ALL.

Exactly the same thing was on my mind. Lots of unanswered questions there, none of which were addressed or even raised in the podcast by the way. I've always thought he can't just "get out." Maybe this is like the end of Season 4, when Walt had all this delusional confidence.

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on September 03, 2012, 04:40:51 PM* How long do you think the masterminds had "Crystal Blue Persuasion" in their pocket to use in a key episode?

The podcast answers this.

Vince was familiar with the song, but it didn't occur to him until he heard it playing on his car radio. Then they saved it for about a year and a half.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2012, 05:06:46 PM

Exactly the same thing was on my mind. Lots of unanswered questions there, none of which were addressed or even raised in the podcast by the way. I've always thought he can't just "get out." Maybe this is like the end of Season 4, when Walt had all this delusional confidence.

maybe he paid them out with the remaining methylamine he had, no way that in three months he used 1000 galons. but I agree, it feels way too easy to be out just like that.

also, when Lydia proposed to expand she said that 25lb = 2md, if the time since then is three months that pile of money is way big, I did a little counting and as far as I can tell that pile is:

height: 50 packs of 100 bills
length: 12
wide: 15

being conservative of those 50 rows 30 are 20s and 20 are 50s = 28.8md.

now, I'm guessing he gives to Jesse his 5mill, and that only took two bags, so maybe he has even more...

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2012, 03:16:00 AM
I'm only 40 minutes into the podcast, but they've already made it clear how much influence Michelle MacLaren had on the episode. Showing the prison deaths in the full-action Godfather style was her idea. She's now directed some of the show's very best episodes, including Salud and One Minute. (And in fact, these might be the 3 most violent episodes of the whole series.)

fwiw, according to imdb she's directig two episodes of game of thrones.

squints

Has no one considered that Walt is NOT out? He's just saying that to Skylar?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

He might have left things in a state where he can start up again (though that would require much explanation), but no, I think he is out. Cranston really played it subtle, but there is definitely a deep sense of anticlimax.

Beyond the points I made about Jesse's absence (which I later heard confirmed in the podcast, yay), I think it's clear that Walt has always been most excited about the process of getting to the top. Now that he's there, it's just a grind. He's not a manager type like Gus; he is a scientist... a scientist who's making no progress. His product is essentially perfect, and he has distribution figured out, so what's the point anymore?

I think he was disappointed that it was so easy to expand. He connected with the Phoenix guys. He simply had to say yes to Lydia's plan (which was notably not his). No reinvention, no complex problem solving, no turf war? Walt would have relished that. The point of breaking bad (lower case) has always been the process.

I love all of that, because it confounds expectations while making perfect sense. Which is the show's specialty.

HeywoodRFloyd

I think the first ep of this season gives away a lot. In the diner. So like in the eggs he makes a 52 with the bacon, so his age. A couple of episodes later Skyler reluctantly makes 51 in Walt's breakfast. So a year has passed.

Also in the diner he shows the waitress his ID to get a free breaky, she refers to him as Lambert (That's Skyler & Marie's maiden name.. the plot thickens) And says he's from New Hampshire, and that he's a long way from home.

I think he's still in the same town as always, New Mexico, because in the bathroom the guy selling the gun asks for Walt's word that the Rambo gun he just bought won't be crossing the border (New Mexico is where America meets Mexico hence the Border) and Walt assures him that the gun won't be leaving town at all (Is he gonna go all Rambo on the DEA, wtf?)

Why is he using a fake ID?  Why is he sad when he's making the 52 in his breakfast? Did something happen to Skyler and the family, and while making the 52 it brought memories of Skyler doing it? Did Skyler die.

Tell me another TV show this fucking great and complex.

Tictacbk

Did anyone else notice that one of prison guys mentioned their plan was "more complicated than the hit on bin laden was" or something along those lines?  Aren't we still back in 2009ish in the Breaking Bad world?

...but that episode was fantastic. I can't believe how long we have to wait for the final 8.

©brad

Who says he's even begun the process of getting out? I believe him when he says this to Skylar, but I interpreted it as "I'm getting out," and I assume this will be a key conflict next season. He'll realize even though he wants to get out, he can't. There is "no stopping this train." Severing ties with Lydia and his new distribution parters (who we didn't even see this episode) will present problems, and now Hank will be on his tail witnessing all of this. It's a big old recipe of fuck.

Quote from: Fernando on September 03, 2012, 05:44:42 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 03, 2012, 03:16:00 AM
I'm only 40 minutes into the podcast, but they've already made it clear how much influence Michelle MacLaren had on the episode. Showing the prison deaths in the full-action Godfather style was her idea. She's now directed some of the show's very best episodes, including Salud and One Minute. (And in fact, these might be the 3 most violent episodes of the whole series.)

fwiw, according to imdb she's directig two episodes of game of thrones.

I said this before but Michelle MacLaren is the best director they've got. She should be directing movies now. I want to give this show a little bit of shit for relying so much on montages but goddamn the two in this episode were so expertly done. My favorite part in the whole episode though was when Walt paid Jesse a visit at his house. It was such an intense, awkward and dare I say sad "break up" scene. I can't wait to see what's in store for Jesse next season.

I'm seeing a lot of people on the rest of the interweb bitch about how and why Walt would keep that book around. It doesn't bother me much, but interested in hearing what you guys think. This comment from AVClub sums up some issues people are having:

Quote from: AVCLUB commentI'm with you in disliking the book as the fatal loose end. Esp. after Walt even looked at the book's monogram earlier this season. The W.W. reference was the closest Hank ever came to suspecting Walt; seeing that monogram should have made Walt shudder and run to burn it. It's almost implausibly uncharacteristic that he would keep it, and even less imaginable that he would lose track and allow it to drift around the house.

In fact, it seems like such a B-level idea for the fatal chink in the armor, it made the whole episode feel glib and unearned in retrospect. Clockwork murder of ten prison inmates? No sweat! Make millions internationally (and the bulk of payoff from the entire series) in a 3-min. cook montage? Sounds peachy! But Walt forgot to get rid of a fucking book from Gale???

Like your observation about the 3 months of Hank and Marie babysitting (I'd have guessed maybe 6-8 weeks?), the suspension of disbelief was easily shattered in this episode. The upside is I'm not even that anxious to see it resume, and don't really care what happens when the writers' marionette strings are this clumsy.

©brad

Good interview with Vince in LA Times.

"We've got some ideas for the last eight episodes that frankly trouble me and worry me," [Gilligan] said. "I worry the audience won't stay on board with some of them. But this show demands dramatic moments and moments of shock and surprise and showmanship, and I want to carry that through to the bitter end — if indeed it is a bitter end."

Brando

It does seem that Walt is out for good or that is his plan. It seems his family is salvageable.  Skyler gave a little smile to Walt like things are going to be alright.  I too think it might not be that easy for him to get out. He's forced himself into this situation and now people might not want to live in a world without Coca Cola. Also, things are never easy in the world of Breaking Bad and they've made a point of having consequences for character's action and Walt has not paid for a fraction for things he's done.  If he's really out for good, there has to be some outside influence that continues Walt on his path of breaking bad. At the moment, giving up to become the old Walt again while being secretly investigated by his brother in law would turn Walt back into a sympathetic character. I don't think the writers want that and plus we have to get to him buying a rambo gun at a denny's within eight episodes/months. So if Walt is truly out and willing to give it all up then some outside influence either from old partners, todds' family, Hank or something else will have to slightly nudge or to force Walt back on the path breaking bad.  "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Something that just crossed my mind: Walt bragged to his new partners about killing Gus. They thought the cartel killed him. Word might get back to people of Gus' that this Walt guy actually killed him especially now they have no reason to keep it a secret now that he's out.  In the season four flashback, the cartel don didn't kill Gus cause he said He knew who he was. It's a stretch but just a thought.

Quote from: ©brad on September 04, 2012, 09:27:06 AM
My favorite part in the whole episode though was when Walt paid Jesse a visit at his house. It was such an intense, awkward and dare I say sad "break up" scene. I can't wait to see what's in store for Jesse next season.

I'm seeing a lot of people on the rest of the interweb bitch about how and why Walt would keep that book around. It doesn't bother me much, but interested in hearing what you guys think. This comment from AVClub sums up some issues people are having:

I had the same reaction to the Walt and Jesse scene. I wouldn't be surprised if we barely saw Jesse next season unless/until he's dragged back into it by either Hank's investigation or some other loose end which is likely.

The way Hank found out about Walt didn't bother me. I just can't think of a way Hank would have found out about Walt that would have been better.  Maybe in the beginning of the show I thought it would be this fantastic/surprising way in usual breaking bad fashion but finding the book is probably closer to the truth. It's usually stupid little things that are how these people get caught. I didn't have any problems with Walt keeping the book around cause at the time he unpacked it he was on his huge power/ego trip.  I mean he was buying fucking cars and wearing expensive watches so keeping a book around was nothing.

I do have to say the flashback at the end was very uncharacteristic of Breaking Bad as well. They didn't flash back earlier in the episode when Walt looked at the dispenser he punched. I usually don't like it when a show does that but I really liked it in this case. It wasn't needed but it was great.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Brando

Quote from: ©brad on September 04, 2012, 10:03:55 AM
Good interview with Vince in LA Times.

"We've got some ideas for the last eight episodes that frankly trouble me and worry me," [Gilligan] said. "I worry the audience won't stay on board with some of them. But this show demands dramatic moments and moments of shock and surprise and showmanship, and I want to carry that through to the bitter end — if indeed it is a bitter end."

That's actually a little terrifying coming from him. I wan't to watch the last eight right now but don't want it to end.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.