Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I liked it.

Random prediction: Since they're starting to cover Gus's backstory, his days are numbered.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 07, 2011, 11:53:57 PM
Random prediction: Since they're starting to cover Gus's backstory, his days are numbered.

hahah this made me think: "So Breaking Bad is becoming LOST?"

As soon as we gain sympathy for a character, they're wiped out. RIP Shannon and Ana-Lucia.

Bon Voyage, Gus!

©brad

Loved it as well. I think one of the best moments of the season is when Walt goes into Pollos Hermanos with the tracer and Gus steps up to the register to greet him. The way Gus smiles as he says "DO IT" gave me chills.

Also, um, Gus is gay right?

Jeremy Blackman

I don't think Gus is gay... Didn't he say he has a family or wife & kids or something?

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on September 08, 2011, 08:34:33 AMhahah this made me think: "So Breaking Bad is becoming LOST?"

As soon as we gain sympathy for a character, they're wiped out. RIP Shannon and Ana-Lucia.

Don't forget Boone!

polkablues

Quote from: ©brad on September 08, 2011, 09:08:36 AM

I think the flashback made it pretty explicit that he and the other guy were more than just business partners. Especially the way the cook said "I need him" when he was begging for Gus' life.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 08, 2011, 10:42:11 AM
I don't think Gus is gay... Didn't he say he has a family or wife & kids or something?

That means nothing, though. So do Ted Haggard and Larry Craig.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on September 08, 2011, 11:41:03 AM
Quote from: ©brad on September 08, 2011, 09:08:36 AM

I think the flashback made it pretty explicit that he and the other guy were more than just business partners. Especially the way the cook said "I need him" when he was begging for Gus' life.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 08, 2011, 10:42:11 AM

That means nothing, though. So do Ted Haggard and Larry Craig.

Exactly. Another clue was Hector pissing in the pool and asking them "if they like what they see" (or something like that).

Jeremy Blackman

Weird, I didn't even pick up on that. Gaydar recalibrated.

squints

Seasons 1-3 on Netflix Instant now.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Definitely liked this episode.

Again, I'll reiterate my point of view that Walt's erratic/reckless behavior is setting him up as the next Tuco.

In fact, wouldn't it be clever if the final season ended with Walt finishing Tuco's arc, sort of a full circle thing? Perhaps Jesse is his assistant that he accidentally beats to death, and later Walt has a shootout with Hank. (Okay, maybe a stretch.)

I also had a theory that in Gus's mysterious Chilean past, he was somehow involved with Pinochet.

The AV Club has an especially good review of this episode.

I also re-watched last week's episode, and yes, the gay thing is quite obvious. They also talked about it on the podcast. Vince Gilligan said it could be left open to interpretation, but it's clear that's where they were going with it, and in fact Kelley Dixon (podcast host and the editor of that episode) mentioned that it (the gay thing) was in the script.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 12, 2011, 02:59:04 AM
I also re-watched last week's episode, and yes, the gay thing is quite obvious. They also talked about it on the podcast. Vince Gilligan said it could be left open to interpretation, but it's clear that's where they were going with it, and in fact Kelley Dixon (podcast host and the editor of that episode) mentioned that it (the gay thing) was in the script.

Jeremy were you able to download that podcast from itunes? I keep getting a 'cannot access file from server' message when I try and download podcast 408.

Jeremy Blackman

I had the same problem. I finally ran out of patience and streamed it directly from the Breaking Bad website yesterday.

polkablues

The EW.com recap makes an interesting point.  It was never made explicit, but Gale certainly pinged the gaydar, and he was also a recipient of Gus' chemistry scholarship.  Could it be that there was more to his and Gus' relationship as well?  If that's the case, there could a whole lot more smoldering under the surface in Gus' handling of Jesse and Walt than seems apparent.

I also had a theory that in Gus's mysterious Chilean past, he was somehow involved with Pinochet.

Most definitely.  The timing works out, and Don Eladio's line of how the only reason they killed the partner and not Gus is "I know who you are."  Not sure how it's going to come into play yet, but he definitely had some direct connection that the cartel didn't want to get on the wrong side of.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Really liked this episode. I'm curious where they're going with Walt and Jesse. Walt needs to chill out. Jesse has been nothing but loyal to him. I know he's getting paranoid, but Jesse is the only one on his side.

The scene with Gus walking into the bullets with his arms stretched out like he was Jesus as the bullets were flying all around him was one of the silliest scenes this show has ever had. What the fuck was that?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on September 12, 2011, 05:07:47 PMThe EW.com recap makes an interesting point.  It was never made explicit, but Gale certainly pinged the gaydar, and he was also a recipient of Gus' chemistry scholarship.  Could it be that there was more to his and Gus' relationship as well?  If that's the case, there could a whole lot more smoldering under the surface in Gus' handling of Jesse and Walt than seems apparent.

That's interesting. I think Gale could have been gay (or maybe not), but I certainly didn't sense any good vibes going on between Gus and Gale. Coldness (or at best, feigned warmth) from Gus, and outright fear/terror from Gale.

Quote from: polkablues on September 12, 2011, 05:07:47 PM

Most definitely.  The timing works out, and Don Eladio's line of how the only reason they killed the partner and not Gus is "I know who you are."  Not sure how it's going to come into play yet, but he definitely had some direct connection that the cartel didn't want to get on the wrong side of.

I will be disappointed if this doesn't pan out. In the same way I'll be disappointed if Gus isn't unseated (as everyone expects) by the end of this season. His reign has lasted long enough! I can't wait for Walt and Jesse (mostly Walt) to break free of him. Everyone in the podcast alludes to something big happening at the end of this season. Hopefully it's also surprising.

E: I predict that Gus will evoke the ghost of Pinochet to help him defeat Hank and the cartel, but that he does so at the cost of his own life and ultimately his soul.

Quote from: S.R. on September 12, 2011, 05:16:42 PMThe scene with Gus walking into the bullets with his arms stretched out like he was Jesus as the bullets were flying all around him was one of the silliest scenes this show has ever had. What the fuck was that?

I think it's less "you want a piece of me?" and more "okay fine, you win!" He knew the sniper wasn't going to kill him, because (as Mike points out later) they can't kill him. And the sniper was obviously aiming at the ground around Gus. As foreshadowed by Mike in the previous episode, Gus can't afford to have Hank and the cartel on him at the same time, so this was the last straw for Gus.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 12, 2011, 07:16:07 PM

Quote from: S.R. on September 12, 2011, 05:16:42 PMThe scene with Gus walking into the bullets with his arms stretched out like he was Jesus as the bullets were flying all around him was one of the silliest scenes this show has ever had. What the fuck was that?

I think it's less "you want a piece of me?" and more "okay fine, you win!" He knew the sniper wasn't going to kill him, because (as Mike points out later) they can't kill him. And the sniper was obviously aiming at the ground around Gus. As foreshadowed by Mike in the previous episode, Gus can't afford to have Hank and the cartel on him at the same time, so this was the last straw for Gus.

That part was all kinds of badass. I'll be the best friend for a day to whoever can gif that part for me.

Also Gale gave absolutely no gay vibes whatsoever. Just look at his apartment. Uber-nerdom does not a gay make.