Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

Link

Sans existential conversations beneath nonexistent beings, I was also disappointed by Kong.

Peter Jackson does exactly was George Lucas has been accused of doing and people praise Petey Boy.  King Kong is an exercise in overindulgance.  I admire things about the movie, and I realize and recognize what a daunting task it was, but I think it was a failure.

One mistake that was a creative choice that I felt hindered the movie was Jackson's concious decision to not make it totally realistic, to add that "fantasy" element.  The element that makes everything glossed over or that defies logic.

I feel that the picture would have been more effective, at least for me personally, to make this as realistic as possible.  I know that this issue is kind of a matter of taste, but I wanted to see a movie that convinced me that there's a huge ape on the Empire State Building.  But with the use of too many fancy cg camera moves and "digital doubles" that don't look like a double at all, it pulled me out of the film.  The Kong vs. V-Rexes fight was okay as it was, but after a while I wish he would get it over with already.  The original Kong had Kong going over, beating the snot out of the creatures, all in one take, and walking away.  Bam, done.  And I found it more exhilirating than swirling cameras and Naomi Watts pasted onto Kong's fist.

I still recommend everyone see it.  It's a spectacle, and it's fairly entertaining (though I fell asleep).  It's got some good stuff too.  Even with my gripes, I liked him up on the ESB, even if it was a tad drug out.

But again, a lot of this can be just a matter of taste.

Reinhold

i really don't intend this to sound like snobbery, but to link and crash: are you familiar with the original?

i think this movie was a really stunning tribute to the original. ... a lot of the dialogue was lifted directly, costuming choices, the joke about RKO, etc. jackson's love for the orginal really came through magnificently. i think that that's what he was trying to do.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Title: King Kong
Released: 28th March 2006
SRP: $29.98 & $30.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has sent over artwork for single and double-disc editions of King Kong which stars Jack Black, Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody. Both will be available to own from the 28th March, with the single-disc retailing at around $29.98, and the double-disc setting you back $30.98. Each will carry an anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. I'm afraid Universal has yet to unveil the extra material for either disc - but we'll bring you further details very shortly. As always, make sure you stay tuned. For now though, here's our first look at the official region one package artwork:

weird they went with different artwork than from any of the many previous posters.  guess none were 'action packed' enough.  atleast it doesnt totally suck.  and it looks like universal is going to be getting their money back on this one way or the other, by releasing a super 2 discer now and YOU JUST WAIT cause you know a 3+ disc edition is coming.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Link

Quote from: permanent username on February 13, 2006, 10:29:41 AM
i really don't intend this to sound like snobbery, but to link and crash: are you familiar with the original?

Quote from: Link on February 13, 2006, 07:00:13 AM
The original Kong had Kong going over, beating the snot out of the creatures, all in one take, and walking away.  Bam, done.  And I found it more exhilirating than swirling cameras and Naomi Watts pasted onto Kong's fist.

Yes, I'm familiar with the original (as well as the first remake), which is actually why I dislike Jackson's version.  I'm a fan of homages and tributes as well as one-upmanship, but it felt like Jackson didn't know when to move on, which surprises me, because he did that so well in the Rings trilogy (that is, handled lengthy material he was a fan of).

Gamblour.

Someone mentioned early that the post-slow-mo was a bad thing. It's actually a shutter speed effect, and i think it's very self-aware, but it really worked when it was used.

I FINALLY saw this. At the dollar theater. I really liked it. 3 hours felt like 2. Everything everyone said has validity, everything from the most positive to the most negative (except that idiot's dinosaur stuff). This film made me love Kong so much, like P said, you want Watts to have Kong-human love babies. It was very sad. And Kong falling was a lot like Gollum falling, kinda. It's interesting to find auteur evidence in a work dominated by CGI.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Kong Extended Edition Due
The epic remake adds two discs and a deluxe extras slate in Nov.

On November 14, 2006, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release King Kong (Deluxe Extended Edition) on DVD. The three-disc set will feature an exhaustive collection of bonus materials, including behind-the-scenes footage, deleted scenes and a commentary track by Peter Jackson. It will be available for the MSRP of $34.98, while a special, Limited Edition Gift Set of the film, containing a figurine, will be available for a MSRP of $79.98.

The King Kong (Deluxe Extended Edition) DVD set will feature the following bonus materials:

Disc One
Commentary with Director Peter Jackson & Producer Phillipa Boyens (Part One)
16 Deleted Scenes

Disc Two
Commentary with Director Peter Jackson & Producer Phillipa Boyens (Part Two)
The Eighth Blunder of the World Featurette
The Present Featurette
A Night in Vaudeville Featurette
King Kong Homage
Weta Collectables
Multiple Trailers

Disc Three
The King Kong Archives
Introduction by director Peter Jackson
The Origins of King Kong Documentary
Pre-Production Part 1: The Return of Kong
Pre-Production Part 2: Countdown to Filming
The Venture Journey Featurette
Return to Skull Island Featurette
New York, New Zealand Featurette
Bringing Kong to Life Part 1: Design and Research
Bringing Kong to Life Part 2: Performance and Animation
The 1996 King Kong Video Gallery
The Venture Video Gallery
Skull Island Video Gallery
New York Video Gallery
Kong Video Gallery
Arrival at Skull Island Pre-Viz Animatic
Bronto Stampede Pre-Viz Animatic
T-Rex Fight Pre-Viz Animatic
Kong's Capture Pre-Viz Animatic
Empire State Building Battle Pre-Viz Animatic
Ann Disarms Kong Motion-Capture/Animation Comparison
Kong's Capture Motion-Capture/Animation Comparison
Kong in New York Motion-Capture/Animation Comparison
1996 and 2005 Scripts (DVD-ROM)

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Let the "it was already too long" grumblings begin.