J'Accuse aka An Officer and a Spy

Started by wilder, August 30, 2019, 08:58:12 AM

wilder

In 1894, French Captain Alfred Dreyfus is wrongfully convicted of treason and sentenced to life imprisonment at Devil's island

Directed by Roman Polanski
Written by Robert Harris and Roman Polanski
Starring Jean Dujardin, Louis Garrel, and Emmanuelle Seigner
Release Date - November 13, 2019 (France), further release improbable but TBD

wilder

Alexandro

Hard to argue with the accolades. It's a perfectly made, entertaining, gripping, procedural with a strong sense of moral ambiguity, every actor is great, production values are excellent, it's just a sharp film for grown ups.

Yet it doesn't feel that urgent. The night before this one I tried Portrait of a Lady on Fire and that one moved me to tears. I only bring this up because of what happened at the ceasars (which I know had more to do with Polanski's legal problems and accusations than the films themselves, but...). It must be a pain in the ass when you manage to make a sparse, moving film about gay romance between women and get beaten by a very good but not quite as hot and urgent film directed by an established NAME like Polanski.

Drenk

Polanski received his César for being Polanski, though. The Academy is defending Polanski. It's been obvious for years that their worship wasn't related to the movies or the art—it was just about the abstract idea of the "great artist" and protecting a long time friend.

It was strange that Haenel and co would have accepted to be *in* if only they'd won a prize from an Academy they should rightfully despise; it's not gonna be better if they acknowledge you, and I'm not sure wanting to replace them is productive or makes any sense...

Let's look elsewhere.
Ascension.

jenkins

Quote from: Alexandro on April 03, 2020, 10:54:22 AM
The night before this one I tried Portrait of a Lady on Fire and that one moved me to tears.

Oh wow really. Now I wonder which one was acclaimed but you didn't think was much

Alexandro

sorry, jenkins. I liked them both, but Portrait got me really emotional and disarmed me.

jenkins

in terms of this movie i mean i like early polanski you know. just from that other conversation we had about slow cinema i thought portrait of a lady was what you were talking about but clearly i was wrong

Alexandro

Yeah, I saw you didn't like it... I was impatient at first, but sure enough it's slow burn thing worked on me.
Early Polanski is, you know, absolute top... this is not there but it's great too.