Website of essays on the works of Kubrick

Started by MacGuffin, August 12, 2006, 12:31:02 PM

MacGuffin

I don't think this website has been mentioned (if it has, let me know and I'll merge threads). It was linked through SpielbergFilms.com:

Kubrick site hosts interesting thematic analysis of 'A.I.'

Jeffrey Bernstein, the host of an interesting website of essays on the works of filmmaker Stanley Kubrick, wrote me a couple of weeks back to point out an essay he had published on "A.I. Artificial Intelligence." I wanted to pass the article, as well as Bernstein's entire site on to our readers since I know like Steven Spielberg himself that there are many here who appreciate Kubrick's filmography.

In "A Three-Part Thematic Structure of A.I. Artificial Intelligence," Bernstein approaches the unique Spielberg/Kubrick collaboration from the perspective of a Kubrick fan taking on the film's structure (similar in its construction to how Kubrick built "A Clockwork Orange," "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Barry Lyndon" in its clearly delineated acts). The article is a quick read, but it does provide some food for thought as Bernstein explores "A.I.'s" roots in the Brian Aldiss short story "Supertoys Last All Summer Long," Kubrick's early work on the concept, and finally, Spielberg's work from the structuring of the acts to major thematic beats within each act of the finished film. Some of the ideas set forth in the article are obvious when viewing the "A.I.," but Bernstein brings an interesting perspective to other elements (my favorite being his poetic view of David's post-spinach fiasco cleaning).

The "A.I." article can be read in .pdf format, and if you're a Kubrick fan, be sure to check out the other articles by Jeffrey Bernstein including writing on "A Clockwork Orange," "Barry Lyndon," "The Shining," "Full Metal Jacket," "Eyes Wide Shut," and Kubrick's unproduced "Napoleon" project.

http://www.scaleproductions.co.uk/kubrick/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Thanks Mac! I skimmed through a couple of the essays and it all looks fantastic, in depth; although I'd have liked the EWS notes to be complete. Either way, interesting reading.

Pubrick

jeffrey bernstein will be seated at the right hand of kubrick.
under the paving stones.

JG

Quote from: Pubrick on August 17, 2006, 06:54:27 AM
jeffrey bernstein will be seated at the right hand of kubrick.

Quote from: Pubrick on December 28, 2005, 07:34:50 PM
bresson sits at the right hand of kubrick.

this complicates things. 

RegularKarate

Clearly, Bernstein will be in Bresson's lap

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 17, 2006, 01:47:27 PM
Clearly, Bernstein will be in Bresson's lap

For a second there, I thought Kubrick had two right hands.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

QuoteMacGuffin, I see that your pic comes from an old "Twilight Zone" episode, if I am not mistaken . . . didn't the guy behind the counter have a third eye?

Yep:

It's from the episode "Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up."

And thanks to you for joining and being a part of our site.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

And may I point out with my standard ten fingers that my Kubrick website has now changed to a new address:

[removed]
I caught that the other day. Your Beck covers are pretty sweet.

SiliasRuby

You should certainly introduce yourself in the idle chatter section. We are quite a family here and even though some of us give the others a hard time with Witty jokes and bad one lines. We're all an intelligent eccentric bunch of people always welcome to the new guys....so...um ya....But ya, I'm silias, and if you like labels (and everybody does), I'm the happy go lucky overley cheerful agreeer of the family.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 08, 2006, 07:52:44 PM
You should certainly introduce yourself in the idle chatter section.
uh i don't think that's necessary in this case, as anyone who has visited his site would have a good idea of what he's all about.

And I can't believe I just saw a pic from "Ed Wood" at the top of the Xixax (I keep wanting to say Xanax) screen because, I swear, I went to the video store earlier to rent it (but it was out). Coincidence.
nothing on xixax is a coincidence. welcome to the board, jeff.
under the paving stones.