Pete's Dragon

Started by matt35mm, February 21, 2016, 11:06:16 PM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

A couple highlights:

"Who knew David Lowery could make a better Spielberg movie than J.J. Abrams?"

"David Lowery's studio debut retains a personal touch with an unceasing supply of magic running through its lovable, full-hearted soul."

Phrases often used to describe it: "homespun," "kind-hearted," "sincere."

matt35mm

Thanks for not fucking this up, David. That would've made XIXAX look real bad.

polkablues

Quote from: IndiewireLowery is hardly the only filmmaker in recent years who's been plucked from the indie circuit and handed the helm of a blockbuster, but "Pete's Dragon" is one of the few cases in which it doesn't feel as though a minor leaguer was called up to the big leagues in order to act like a stooge for the studio. There may be individual shots in this movie that cost more than the director's entire pre-existing output, but make no mistake: This is a David Lowery movie — a movie imbued with the same tactile nature and uniquely American flair for myth-making that characterized his Sundance breakthrough, "Ain't Them Bodies Saints."

This is the only thing I've ever worried about this film, that David's voice would get lost amidst the Disney maelstrom, and to see that concern specifically called out and put to rest in the very first reviews is enormously heartening.

Lottery

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 27, 2016, 08:54:20 PM
"Who knew David Lowery could make a better Spielberg movie than J.J. Abrams?"

Also:

QuoteLowery owes no small debt to Spielberg here, paying homage in various ways — as when characters stare wide-eyed at the off-screen dragon — and though the ambition isn't as giant, he has actually crafted the better film, one that succeeds in bringing audiences to the brink of tears in all the right moments.

I mean, that's got to be a good feeling.

tpfkabi

I saw the Nightline piece last night.
I didn't even know they had camera cranes like that.
Granted, my film knowledge is mostly head knowledge, little field knowledge.
It must be a great experience, though also a lot of responsibility and stress.
Here's hoping it does well and leads to other things.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Nice find. Here's the piece, for anyone interested.

tpfkabi

I really have no idea how Sausage Party will do or how Suicide Squad will hold up.
Those are R and PG-13, so at least there is not something else new for children.
When I made the last post, I didn't know or had already forgotten about Peter Pan.
There is a Q&A on the Pete's Dragon Facebook.
Regal Crown Club has the 2 different posters of the film up now.
(You earn points on your card at Regal Theaters and can redeem them for prizes)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

Hooray! This is real good, y'all. Very fun to watch. Looking forward to discussing it with everyone soon, but I gotta pass out now (stayed up late for a midnight showing). Congrats, David!

ElPandaRoyal

This is apparently only going to come out in Portugal in the dubbed version. I don't really like seeing dubbed movies, so it really pisses me of, but I don't want to miss it. May take me a couple of weeks to be able to watch it, but here's to hoping it does really well. Go David!
Si

Fernando

Let's just take a minute to enjoy the fact that a xixax member made a film that is opening in more than 3,000 screens.

I'm fucking proud.

polkablues

I full-out cried in a theater full of strange children. I can think of no higher praise for the film than that.

In fifteen years or so, we'll be able to judge who the worthwhile young adults are by which of them cite this as their favorite movie from their childhood.

modage

Obviously dying to see this.

Here's my dilemma:
My 5 year old niece is out of the country for the next week. Do I wait another week so I can take her to see it? Or see it by myself ASAP?

Help me, Xixax. You're my only hope.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage on August 15, 2016, 01:21:46 PM
Obviously dying to see this.

Here's my dilemma:
My 5 year old niece is out of the country for the next week. Do I wait another week so I can take her to see it? Or see it by myself ASAP?

Help me, Xixax. You're my only hope.

I'd say both. It's re-watchable and worth experiencing it on different levels. See it by yourself to get past the weird fact that you know the guy who made it, and then later you can enjoy it in a more pure way with your niece.