Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Tdog

jviness02

Quote from: Tdog on April 28, 2020, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: jviness02 on April 28, 2020, 10:44:18 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on April 27, 2020, 09:46:36 PM
https://twitter.com/GoBrownRanger/status/1254922686599438336

Did that actually happen?  I say probably not.

PTA has an extremely varied and no bar taste in movies, so I'd say it's true with a mix of hyperbole.

This isn't directed at you, I know you're just showing us the tweet and mean nothing by it, but I've been reading the man's interviews for two decades. When has he ever pontificated with wording like "the power of cinema"? He'll giggle and say he'd put Ted up against anything, but he's never been one to pontificate which is why I believe this is bullshit.

And for the record, I enjoy Endgame(saw it more than once in theaters)and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Ted or Big Daddy. This isn't about me believing  PTA is above this or feeling butt hurt that he might like something deemed "less". The man can have terrible taste. That doesn't bother me, but this just seems like an out and out lie. It doesn't sound like anything he'd ever say.

wilberfan

Does Instagram Live stuff get recorded?  Seems easy enough to verify if so.  I don't think we need to burn a lot of calories over it, though.

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on April 28, 2020, 02:43:30 PM
Does Instagram Live stuff get recorded?  Seems easy enough to verify if so.  I don't think we need to burn a lot of calories over it, though.

The burning calories bit gave me a good LAUGH. I admit it totally comes off that I'm much more upset about this than I am. I'm bored in the quarantine. Maybe it's Cabin Fever?

polkablues

To be clear, Downey wasn't saying that PTA thinks that Endgame demonstrates "the power of cinema," but that audience reactions to it do. Says nothing at all about what PTA may or may not think about the movie itself.

But also, the dude's got 4 kids between 14 and 6 years old. He's probably seen the movie 30 times by now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

Just to burn one more calorie:

Hollywood Reporter:  "The Russo Bros. Reveal New 'Avengers' Secrets"

QuoteDowney shared an anecdote in which he talked to director Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood, The Master), who revealed that when he saw Avengers: Endgame, he recorded fan reactions in the theater to remind him of "the power of cinema" and its unifying aspect.

jviness02

Quote from: wilberfan on April 28, 2020, 09:28:58 PM
Just to burn one more calorie:

Hollywood Reporter:  "The Russo Bros. Reveal New 'Avengers' Secrets"

QuoteDowney shared an anecdote in which he talked to director Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood, The Master), who revealed that when he saw Avengers: Endgame, he recorded fan reactions in the theater to remind him of "the power of cinema" and its unifying aspect.

Welp, I guess I am wrong!

Drill

I guess he better like Marvel because with the way things are looking now, he may not have the opportunity to direct anything but a Marvel movie.

jviness02

Quote from: jenkins on July 29, 2020, 08:49:51 PM
contextless will it be counted do you think

https://www.twitter.com/UpstreamColor/status/1288646928448684032?cxt=HHwWgICosbnjmOIjAAAA

Didn't he say this in the middle of his rant about strangling women? The guy is a monster.

jenkins

yes. he also compared himself to Frank T.J. Mackey, in a joking manner. and he wasn't throwing out a lot of movie references. he listed the only possible timetravel movie superior to Primer as Somewhere in Time, which really tells you that he doesn't watch a lot of movies

i confess to having followed what Carruth called a "first act" and "entertaining." ngl, i feel really dirty about it. he really left me feeling sick, although following the conversation was my own fault. he wasn't actually calling himself a strangler he was intending to illustrate nonliteral interpretations of words. he wasn't demonstrating a lighter side, god no, he was just demonstrating another side. on this side he was the intellectual superior, of course. that was his driving force. he mentioned that Upstream Colors should be taught in college. he considered that part of a conversation in which he was wedging his perspective against his restraining order

frankly, he also said what i wish not to repeat, and was ugly to mention, concerning personal details. the whole time he missed the point to let go of his past relationship. how gross to say if she's bad then he isn't. just how very gross. and if the restraining order was about him trying too hard, well there he went trying too hard in front of everybody

it was a sour act and his fans, like all real fans, are a problem too, since they say his meltdown was as opaque and complex as his movies. they compliment his achievement and ponder if it's part of a big art project, with everybody who replied playing a role. as if that justifies his behavior! and opaque, complex--what bullshit. such a forced interpretation, which would be what would make him a winner in a foul game

also from a larger perspective he is indeed a real person with his own inner fights as all the rest of us. i myself have to be cautious about schadenfreude. may his true struggle be dealt with a human way, and perhaps this can mean there will be no second act

jviness02

Quote from: jenkins on August 01, 2020, 10:34:13 PM
yes. he also compared himself to Frank T.J. Mackey, in a joking manner. and he wasn't throwing out a lot of movie references. he listed the only possible timetravel movie superior to Primer as Somewhere in Time, which really tells you that he doesn't watch a lot of movies

i confess to having followed what Carruth called a "first act" and "entertaining." ngl, i feel really dirty about it. he really left me feeling sick, although following the conversation was my own fault. he wasn't actually calling himself a strangler he was intending to illustrate nonliteral interpretations of words. he wasn't demonstrating a lighter side, god no, he was just demonstrating another side. on this side he was the intellectual superior, of course. that was his driving force. he mentioned that Upstream Colors should be taught in college. he considered that part of a conversation in which he was wedging his perspective against his restraining order

frankly, he also said what i wish not to repeat, and was ugly to mention, concerning personal details. the whole time he missed the point to let go of his past relationship. how gross to say if she's bad then he isn't. just how very gross. and if the restraining order was about him trying too hard, well there he went trying too hard in front of everybody

it was a sour act and his fans, like all real fans, are a problem too, since they say his meltdown was as opaque and complex as his movies. they compliment his achievement and ponder if it's part of a big art project, with everybody who replied playing a role. as if that justifies his behavior! and opaque, complex--what bullshit. such a forced interpretation, which would be what would make him a winner in a foul game

also from a larger perspective he is indeed a real person with his own inner fights as all the rest of us. i myself have to be cautious about schadenfreude. may his true struggle be dealt with a human way, and perhaps this can mean there will be no second act

He allegedly strangled Amy Seimetz which is why he brought up strangling women. That apparently was one of the many reasons she filed for a restraining order. It's also fucked up that he did all this the week her new movie was released. 

I agree, he is a human being and we don't know the full story. Hopefully he gets help and she gets peace.

jenkins

Quote from: jviness02 on August 02, 2020, 10:19:53 PM

He allegedly strangled Amy Seimetz which is why he brought up strangling women. That apparently was one of the many reasons she filed for a restraining order.

accurate. but he wasn't confessing to strangling women he was distorting the perspective

there are lots of particulars to sort though it's true, but a sort of baseline problem here is the entirety of the conduct itself

jenkins

wilberfan

Conan O'Brien (whose podcast schtick, I've come to realize, I'm completely tired of) talks to Maya Rudolph.  He gushes about PTA during the wrap-up around the 1-hr mark.

https://omny.fm/shows/conan-o-brien-needs-a-friend/maya-rudolph