Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: Drill on March 17, 2020, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: jviness02 on March 17, 2020, 04:59:05 PM
Yep. Not to mention two heavy drug users are rarely ingredients for a healthy relationship. There's been enough hints now and again that I think his use of cocaine in his early years of fame is probably not exaggerated and she definitely has/had alcohol problems.

He himself is often now pictured with a drink in his hand, I've noticed. I hope that's not an issue. It's got to be hard for that kind of personality to completely cut off.
ciggys

With this article, yet another bit of Phantom Thread is unlocked  :ponder:

ThereWillBeOreos

Reading the article... I guess a case can be made for Barry Egan being an almost, Author-Avatar for PTA? (I know all his characters sort of reflect himself but still) Not only the traveling to Hawaii, but the fits of angers, the many siblings, the anxiety, seem a little sweet on the surface but quite distributed? Maybe his breakup with Fiona Apple and his relationship with Maya sort of influenced the script? Hopefully I don't sound like I'm reaching.

Something Spanish

Fiona rules. Going to jam to The Idler Wheel as an antidote to my quavering nerves.

ono

I'm as big a fan of Fiona as PTA, so it's almost like seeing mom and dad fighting 20 years after the divorce.  20 years ago they were both on top of the world and the envy of artists everywhere.

Fiona didn't have to say a thing. High road. I've always been envious of PTA because he seemed to have been given the keys to the kingdom at a young age, afforded opportunities and luck few get, so, to see this bratty behavior takes him down a few.  And to see how autobiographical PDL really is makes me wonder how much PTA is like Plainview too. And Woodcock of course. Don't meet your heroes, pobody's nerfect, etc.  This smacks of airing dirty laundry to create buzz for an album by dragging an ex and creative partner's name through the mud. What else is the point?

Love 'em both, separate the art from the artist, PTA + Maya walking through the streets all disheveled is still goals.  And they do right to keep things close to the chest.

Drenk

This is a personal profile of an artist. It takes one hour to read out loud. Of course she would mention Paul Thomas Anderson, especially in a retrospective fashion. She's Fiona Apple. There were headlines in major publications when she announced in language sign that her album was done. She's been living on "Criminal" for years. This isn't about buzz. This "what's the point?" attitude toward people who talk about abuse is condescending and just...weird. I mean, let's be coherent, then. What's the point of celebrity culture and the insane amount of info we have about a lot of people? Plus, the point is explicit: the article says that she was uncomfortable with the romantization of her past relationship with PTA. The article also deals with the reality of celebrity, where no matter what you say or don't say, people will speculate about you, entertaining a public image.
Ascension.

trytotell

Didn't the Hot Knife video, which she asked him to do per her words, knowingly contribute to the "myth/nostalgia" of them? IIRC, it was then almost fully promoted on the basis of them "reuniting!!". Was he still a jerk to her on the set of that or something? They didn't go into that enough nor their current terms. Just skipped around it.

Pringle

From her song "Regret":

'Member when I was so sick and you didn't believe me?
Then you got sick too and guess who took care of you?
You hated that, didn't you? Didn't you?
Now when you look at me, you're condemned to see
The monster your mother made you to be
And there you got me, that's how you got free
You got rid of me

WorldForgot

Good correlation.
Spoiler: ShowHide
 twists PTA's comments at Apple's mother from the profile reflected/refracted

Freddie Dodd

Bill Hader drops by in an old C&RV interview from 2000.

Bill Hader (Friend of the site): Did you see Rosetta (same filmmakers that made La Promesse)?

ForTheHungryBoy

Fiona's new album is great btw. She's an incredible artist

Drill

Drenk

Oh. Robert Downey Jr was Iron Man. Seriously, I was wondering why he would bother expressing that kind of bullshit to someone before I remembered the obvious detail.  :saywhat:
Ascension.

Drill

I'm going to interpret that as Joker shade because why not?