Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Drenk

Quote from: eward on March 16, 2020, 02:57:53 PM
Not for nothing though, the article mentions that Fiona doesn't consider herself an alcoholic, yet goes on to detail how, "for years", she would sip straight vodka every night until she passed out. Honey...you're an alcoholic, no two ways about it.

Yeah. "I'm not an alcoholic, I just urgently need to stop drinking." As long as it worked! And she looks definitely more healthy nowadays, the videos from 2012 were concerning.

I want to add that nobody is making a broad judgment about unknown persons, saying that it's shitty to be abusive to your girlfriend is the same as saying that landing a plane on the Hudson river and saving lives is great. Two statements who aren't broad judgments of PTA or Sully.
Ascension.

martinthewarrior

Quote from: Drenk on March 16, 2020, 08:16:53 PM
Quote from: eward on March 16, 2020, 02:57:53 PM
Not for nothing though, the article mentions that Fiona doesn't consider herself an alcoholic, yet goes on to detail how, "for years", she would sip straight vodka every night until she passed out. Honey...you're an alcoholic, no two ways about it.

Yeah. "I'm not an alcoholic, I just urgently need to stop drinking." As long as it worked! And she looks definitely more healthy nowadays, the videos from 2012 were concerning.

I want to add that nobody is making a broad judgment about unknown persons, saying that it's shitty to be abusive to your girlfriend is the same as saying that landing a plane on the Hudson river and saving lives is great. Two statements who aren't broad judgments of PTA or Sully.

Not quite tracking the Sully metaphor... people are complex and shitty often. Capable of callousness and warmth in equal measure depending on the backdrop and mitigating factors. Especially when they're in their 20's. Especially when they're doing a fuck ton of coke. Again, it is absolutely Fiona Apple's right to speak her truth. But, not sure what uninvolved 3rd, 4th, 5th parties really have to litigate.

trytotell

Oh you're back. What happened to that info you knew about his new film? It wasn't the high school project right?

axxonn

Yikes, doesn't read well. Is that the first negative character piece to appear on PTA? Wonder how it will affect him and his reputation going forward.

Quote from: jviness02 on March 16, 2020, 12:58:55 PM
If you watch an interview from the 1990's and an interview from like Phantom Thread he seems like a completely different person.  I think stopping cocaine and becoming a dad may have humbled him.

I agree with this - at times he seems flat-out embarrassed about old comments he made. Still doesn't exonerate his actions, of course. Will be interesting to see how/if he responds to this.

(But in all honesty, if you judge PTA as best we can from the kind of characters he consistently writes, his behaviour doesn't exactly sound all that surprising - the level of apparent passive aggressiveness/abuse, on the other hand, is unsettling and disappointing).

Drill

Quote from: axxonn on March 17, 2020, 08:58:18 AM
Yikes, doesn't read well. Is that the first negative character piece to appear on PTA? Wonder how it will affect him and his reputation going forward.

Has this blown up on social media at all? I haven't seen it around much, mostly just the cocaine quote. I doubt it will affect him much other than people being mad at him on Twitter for a few days. With people's attention spans, and with everything going on now, it will likely be forgotten by most people by next week. It's probably best for him to ignore it (publicly) and let it blow over. He's entitled to respond/defend himself but it wouldn't be the wisest move, PR speaking.

Something Spanish

I really enjoyed reading that, reading a new yorker profile of one of your favorite artists is one of life's beauties.

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on March 17, 2020, 09:34:24 AM
Has this blown up on social media at all? I haven't seen it around much, mostly just the cocaine quote.

I saw a few "cancel!" calls, but for the most part it seemed to be bemused cocaine commentary.

Pringle

When the new film comes out, this is gonna be a big story but, right now, PTA could murder his entire family and it would be a minor story.

Drill

Quote from: Pringle on March 17, 2020, 12:57:30 PM
When the new film comes out, this is gonna be a big story but, right now, PTA could murder his entire family and it would be a minor story.

I highly doubt it. Maybe if she continually talks about it on a promo tour or something.

Alethia

Look, it doesn't excuse anything he did, but we all have moments of ugliness - particularly, I'd wager, in the arena of young romance - I'm sure that (would/do) cause each of us to cringe bitterly upon reflection. Add to that sudden fame, outsized adulation/scorn, substance abuse, ego, whatever else... They were young. I'm sure (I hope) he regrets that which he should, and has matured accordingly. No need to cancel anyone, sheesh, world (potentially).

Anyhow, Fiona rules, can't wait for the new record.

Drenk

What I meant yesterday is that nobody was making judgment or engaging in litigation by describing abuse as abuse: the legal vocabulary was originitating from aimless protectiveness. It's frustrating when the conversation immediately escalates to concerns of "cancellation", especially here, in Xixax, a contained public forum.
Ascension.

jviness02

Yes, we have every right to say abuse is bad without canceling him.

And yes, many times(not always) an abusive relationship goes both ways and based on his overall demeanor and reputation now, it's very likely that both of these people are better people now without the other.

Drill

Right. She seems very dramatic and exhausting to me (not a criticism, just observing and in no way implying that it excuses anything), so mix that with him at that time and it was a toxic match.  People being nostalgic over failed relationships will always confuse me. Maybe if they publicly confirmed their break up when they split, it wouldn't have gone on so much.

He and Maya always being so private and under the radar was an obvious immediate lesson he learned. They've only sort of just started courting attention with PT but that will probably be as far as it ever goes.

jviness02

Yep. Not to mention two heavy drug users are rarely ingredients for a healthy relationship. There's been enough hints now and again that I think his use of cocaine in his early years of fame is probably not exaggerated and she definitely has/had alcohol problems.

Drill

Quote from: jviness02 on March 17, 2020, 04:59:05 PM
Yep. Not to mention two heavy drug users are rarely ingredients for a healthy relationship. There's been enough hints now and again that I think his use of cocaine in his early years of fame is probably not exaggerated and she definitely has/had alcohol problems.

He himself is often now pictured with a drink in his hand, I've noticed. I hope that's not an issue. It's got to be hard for that kind of personality to completely cut off.