Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

Pringle

If all of this is true — and why wouldn't it be? — she definitely has a right to talk about it, because he just made a movie about this exact same relationship dynamic.

It's also flat out abusive behavior, and explains some of the Plainview / Woodcock characterizations.

Drenk

Quote from: Drill on March 16, 2020, 12:03:05 PM
Welp, I told ya. Didn't he cheat on her too? She all but said it before. Surprised she didn't bring that up here as well.

He did. The song "Oh Well" is about him, too.

And yes, the context of the article and her new album, apparently, is #MeToo and abuse, that was the right place to put things at their place.
Ascension.

Drill

I was always a little uncomfortable with how rough he was grabbing her in that clip from the Magnolia documentary.

He seems to be a better, more laid back person now. I can only hope so.

wilberfan

I have no personal experience, but would the coke have contributed significantly to his behavior?  (It couldn't have helped.)

Drenk

There's also the moment where he's being abusive to a crew member, I don't remember who. Classic wonderkid brat behavior. He does seem more laid back, yes. He seems to have stopped cocaine, at least. And his films got better.
Ascension.

Drill

Quote from: Drenk on March 16, 2020, 12:09:39 PM
Quote from: Drill on March 16, 2020, 12:03:05 PM
Welp, I told ya. Didn't he cheat on her too? She all but said it before. Surprised she didn't bring that up here as well.

He did. The song "Oh Well" is about him, too.

And yes, the context of the article and her new album, apparently, is #MeToo and abuse, that was the right place to put things at their place.

It's what I was really referring to when I said Magnolia was full of shit. All those monologues about not cheating on your partner when he was during or shortly after that time.

Drenk

That's the "aspirational" part of the movie which has badly aged, but the core of Magnolia is about difficult relationships with family, especially fathers.
Ascension.

jviness02

If you watch an interview from the 1990's and an interview from like Phantom Thread he seems like a completely different person.  I think stopping cocaine and becoming a dad may have humbled him.

trytotell

Quote from: Alma on March 16, 2020, 12:01:00 PM
Quote from: trytotell on March 16, 2020, 11:52:22 AM
Quote from: Alma on March 16, 2020, 11:46:40 AM
Quote from: trytotell on March 16, 2020, 11:34:35 AM
Why does she always talk about him? I know I sound insensitive but give me a break. Especially when she also brought up Maya's name when she was promoting her last album. He has kids now.

And funny how this article completely skips over her long, lasting friendship with her ex David Blaine, who's been accused of rape by 2 women. Nor any mention of the Affair showrunners' recent, um. controversies. But no, harp on a 20 year old relationship that you never stopped talking about in the first place.

I would say the reason she always talks about him is cause she gets asked about it constantly. He's mentioned in pretty much every piece about her. I'm not surprised she wanted to say this, it would be horrible to be instrinsically linked forever with a relationship that was awful for you. That gif of them at the Oscars, and that picture of them at the premiere get circulated constantly on social media as some sort of aspirational thing. She even says in the interview that's why she wanted to put this to bed once and for all.

She's voluntarily brought him up many times without being asked, even Maya's name which is not at all her place IMO. The rest I can understand, but to go on and on about him and have nothing to say about her accused rapist ex is hypocritical to me.

It says in the piece she's disturbed that Blaine was mentioned in Jeffrey Epstein's book. She also mentions Louis CK, Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, and other issues connected with the MeToo movement, it's pretty clear that she disapproves of this type of behaviour in general. I think the reason she talks about PTA more is cause
a) She's talking about stuff that has happened to her
b) It describes her relationship with Blaine as a "youthful romance" - she didn't go out with him for very long iirc. Whereas the PTA relationship is frequently brought up as some sort of 90s era-defining thing, and again, is mentioned in every single article I've ever read about her whether she brings him up or not, many album reviews that have nothing to do with him etc.

But it's written like she had nothing to do with him after their "youthful romance" which is bullshit. She was close friends with him for a long time afterwards to the point where she'd stay at his place when she was in New York (per her words). Why leave that out?

Freddie Dodd

His long standing marriage with Maya seems to steer clear of his past actions with Fiona. Paul just seemed to be an arrogant youthful director who directed one sensational film and felt the world belonged to him. Anyone who watch That Moment documentary could sense a discretional difficulty in Apple and Anderson relationship. That whole maturity thing is pointy with how he's conducts himself since presumptive going away from cocaine and into his new groove. Not that this excludes his toxic behavior with Fiona Apple, just something that I could sense even before the New Yorker article surface today. There still friends from what I remember, he did a music video back around 2012.

Alethia

I love Fiona.

And yeah, the stuff with PTA - not good at all, hopefully he's changed.

Not for nothing though, the article mentions that Fiona doesn't consider herself an alcoholic, yet goes on to detail how, "for years", she would sip straight vodka every night until she passed out. Honey...you're an alcoholic, no two ways about it.

Drill

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on March 16, 2020, 01:51:31 PM
His long standing marriage with Maya seems to steer clear of his past actions with Fiona. Paul just seemed to be an arrogant youthful director who directed one sensational film and felt the world belonged to him. Anyone who watch That Moment documentary could sense a discretional difficulty in Apple and Anderson relationship. That whole maturity thing is pointy with how he's conducts himself since presumptive going away from cocaine and into his new groove. Not that this excludes his toxic behavior with Fiona Apple, just something that I could sense even before the New Yorker article surface today. There still friends from what I remember, he did a music video back around 2012.

Uh, they're obviously not friends...

Pringle

There is mention later in the article that she is re-releasing her "When the Pawn..." album with all of PTA's artwork removed.

Sounds like he was a bad, abusive guy and she is taking steps to heal from that.

martinthewarrior

Quote from: Pringle on March 16, 2020, 06:42:30 PM
There is mention later in the article that she is re-releasing her "When the Pawn..." album with all of PTA's artwork removed.

Sounds like he was a bad, abusive guy and she is taking steps to heal from that.

Sounds like they were young people dealing with substance abuse and too much fame and being general shits. Anderson has made a career dealing with angry, entitled young men trying, and sometimes failing, to grow up. Ms. Apple is obviously dealing with her own set of complicated stuffs. Good for her for bloodletting, but it feels a bit tawdry for people who don't know either of them to make broad judgements about no longer young people based on a Polaroid of them at their coked out worst. Hope both parties are happy and healthy.

wilberfan

Quote from: martinthewarrior on March 16, 2020, 07:20:18 PM
Sounds like they were young people dealing with substance abuse and too much fame and being general shits. Anderson has made a career dealing with angry, entitled young men trying, and sometimes failing, to grow up. Ms. Apple is obviously dealing with her own set of complicated stuffs. Good for her for bloodletting, but it feels a bit tawdry for people who don't know either of them to make broad judgements about no longer young people based on a Polaroid of them at their coked out worst. Hope both parties are happy and healthy.

I love this answer.