Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

wilberfan

polkablues

I want to show this to any professional editor and watch them turn red with rage.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tdog

Quote from: polkablues on January 22, 2020, 08:46:51 PM
I want to show this to any professional editor and watch them turn red with rage.
I'm not sure what's wrong with the editing in the context of it being a short but the 3 minutes I watched were hilarious.

polkablues

Pay attention to the way it cuts in the back-and-forth dialogue. Right on the line, every time. Cut to Character A as he starts talking, cut to Character B as he starts talking, repeat endlessly. No reaction shots, no use of montage, no attempt to tell the story through editing whatsoever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Tdog

Yeah I get that and I absolutely loathe seeing dialogue scenes cut like that in tv/movies, but I feel it's forgivable here, maybe because I was laughing.

wilberfan

jviness02

This New Yorker piece on Fiona Apple has a few (unflattering) tidbits about their relationship.  There's also a story about Tarantino and PTA doing cocaine.

According to this, PTA never hit her, but it was a pretty toxic relationship. He apparently followed her to Hawaii on a whim after meeting her ala PDL.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/23/fiona-apples-art-of-radical-sensitivity?utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=tny&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&mbid=social_twitter

wilberfan

I didn't know a lot about their relationship (which maybe was a good thing).   And I always had trouble believing that PTA wrote that rap in Magnolia (turns out Fiona did). 

trytotell

Why does she always talk about him? I know I sound insensitive but give me a break. Especially when she also brought up Maya's name when she was promoting her last album. He has kids now.

And funny how this article completely skips over her long, lasting friendship with her ex David Blaine, who's been accused of rape by 2 women. Nor any mention of the Affair showrunners' recent, um. controversies. But no, harp on a 20 year old relationship that you never stopped talking about in the first place.

Drenk

Quote from: trytotell on March 16, 2020, 11:34:35 AM
Why does always talk about him? It's a little pathetic at this point. Especially when she also brought up Maya's name when she was promoting her last album. He has kids now, move the hell on.

And funny how this article completely skips over her long, lasting friendship with her ex David Blaine, who's been accused of rape by 2 women.

Oh. Fuck off.
Ascension.

trytotell

Quote from: Drenk on March 16, 2020, 11:36:03 AM
Why does always talk about him? It's a little pathetic at this point. Especially when she also brought up Maya's name when she was promoting her last album. He has kids now, move the hell on.

And funny how this article completely skips over her long, lasting friendship with her ex David Blaine, who's been accused of rape by 2 women.

Oh. Fuck off.

You first.

Alma

Why does she always talk about him? I know I sound insensitive but give me a break. Especially when she also brought up Maya's name when she was promoting her last album. He has kids now.

And funny how this article completely skips over her long, lasting friendship with her ex David Blaine, who's been accused of rape by 2 women. Nor any mention of the Affair showrunners' recent, um. controversies. But no, harp on a 20 year old relationship that you never stopped talking about in the first place.

I would say the reason she always talks about him is cause she gets asked about it constantly. He's mentioned in pretty much every piece about her. I'm not surprised she wanted to say this, it would be horrible to be instrinsically linked forever with a relationship that was awful for you. That gif of them at the Oscars, and that picture of them at the premiere get circulated constantly on social media as some sort of aspirational thing. She even says in the interview that's why she wanted to put this to bed once and for all.

trytotell

Quote from: Alma on March 16, 2020, 11:46:40 AM

I would say the reason she always talks about him is cause she gets asked about it constantly. He's mentioned in pretty much every piece about her. I'm not surprised she wanted to say this, it would be horrible to be instrinsically linked forever with a relationship that was awful for you. That gif of them at the Oscars, and that picture of them at the premiere get circulated constantly on social media as some sort of aspirational thing. She even says in the interview that's why she wanted to put this to bed once and for all.

She's voluntarily brought him up many times without being asked, even Maya's name which is not at all her place IMO. The rest I can understand, but to go on and on about him and have nothing to say about her accused rapist ex is hypocritical to me. 

Alma

Quote from: trytotell on March 16, 2020, 11:52:22 AM
Quote from: Alma on March 16, 2020, 11:46:40 AM

She's voluntarily brought him up many times without being asked, even Maya's name which is not at all her place IMO. The rest I can understand, but to go on and on about him and have nothing to say about her accused rapist ex is hypocritical to me.

It says in the piece she's disturbed that Blaine was mentioned in Jeffrey Epstein's book. She also mentions Louis CK, Woody Allen, Harvey Weinstein, and other issues connected with the MeToo movement, it's pretty clear that she disapproves of this type of behaviour in general. I think the reason she talks about PTA more is cause
a) She's talking about stuff that has happened to her
b) It describes her relationship with Blaine as a "youthful romance" - she didn't go out with him for very long iirc. Whereas the PTA relationship is frequently brought up as some sort of 90s era-defining thing, and again, is mentioned in every single article I've ever read about her whether she brings him up or not, many album reviews that have nothing to do with him etc.

Drill

Welp, I told ya. Didn't he cheat on her too? She all but said it before. Surprised she didn't bring that up here as well.