Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA

Started by edison, January 18, 2008, 08:47:02 PM

csage97

Sorry you've had to put up with my complaining about Us, JB. I don't mind unsubtle parts in movies either; I just had to strongly disagree with that quote saying the bible references are subtle, because they're obviously not.

There are of course always going to be those who don't like ambiguity and who like their plots neatly wrapped and often predictable. Most of those straightforward movies are boring to me. Inherent Vice is one of my favourite movies, after all.

I don't know if I'd call the ending to Us itself "muddled" or "confused;" it makes it quite clear about what's going on and what it wants to be. It's just that it's less confused with what it wants to be and is more so confusing to an audience. That is, its meaning and its origin within the context of the movie are ambiguous and invite interpretation, but I wouldn't say Peele was confused about making it what it is. Kind of splitting hairs, and maybe what I wrote is what those critics are trying to get at anyway.

Jeremy Blackman

No reason to apologize! What you're talking about mostly comes down to preference, and you make fair points.

Some critics are in fact saying Us is confused rather than confusing. A presumptuous thing to say after one watch.

csage97

Yes, and it's possible that these critics think the film is confused because they're confused, an assumption based on ignorance. I hate it when that's actually the case with a portion of the audience or a critic.

wilberfan

Composer Patrick Warren Breaks Down the Score of Showtime's 'The Chi' and His Career In Music

Patrick Warren is the composer for Showtime's Peabody Award-nominated series, The Chi. While this is Warren's first gig as the head composer on a television or film project, his work in the medium goes back over twenty years, beginning with Paul Thomas Anderson's Hard Eight and Boogie Nights.

You have a credit on Boogie Nights as well. I assume that came from your relationship with Michael who composed the music for that film.

It definitely did. I had written a 30-second piece called – an introduction to one of Michael's songs – and they wanted to use it for the movie, and Michael took the melody and turned it upside-down and wrote it backwards. I became good friends with Paul Thomas Anderson and then he stuck me in Magnolia as an actor. I'm one of the game show contestants against the kid.

Are you really?

I can't watch it. It's fucking frightening (laughs). I had no business being in that movie, but he was just determined to have me in it. Aimee was working on her album, Bachelor #2, and Paul had come around and was just fascinated, and Paul was kind of writing the movie around what was going on with that record. Aimee's such a huge part of that score.

One of my favorite uses of a song in any movie is the Wise Up section of the film using Aimee's song. I love the way he brought all the characters together in a sense through a piece of music. Which is what you do too, through your score?

As best I can! (Laughs).

I'm fascinated that his "Disney's A Snowcone" was the...inspiration?...for what became that perfect "broken circus" music that opens Boogie Nights. 

Source

wilberfan

Pringle

Paul is interviewed for the CNN "The Movies" documentary and featured pretty heavily.

greenberryhill

You can see him talking about E.T. here (min 3:03)

here talking about Goodfellas (min 3:10), The Silence of the Lambs (min 6:35)

wilberfan

He's actually the first talking head in each of the first two episodes so far.

Pringle

Amy Nicholson is doing a three episode podcast series with Tarantino about some of his favorite movie going experiences. One of the films he will talk about (there are 5 over the course of 3 episodes) is Boogie Nights. The episode should drop tomorrow. The podcast is "Quentin Tarantino's 'Feature Presentation.'"

wilberfan

This had been referenced twice in other threads, but yes, I'm especially looking forward to this third episode.

axxonn

PTA gets a quick mention on the latest A24 podcast between Ari Aster and Robert Eggers.

Lewton

QuoteSandler's initial reticence was alleviated in part by the strong approval of Anderson, who shot part of Sandler's last stand-up special, "100% Fresh."

"When he saw 'Good Time,' he was like, 'Oh my God. Those guys,'" Sandler says. "These guys did something to Paul that stopped him in his tracks. When Paul saw this movie, he texted after: 'Still in the theater. Can't move.'"

Here's the link. After a quick glance, it seems there are spoilers for Uncut Gems: https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/12/10/world/ap-us-film-adam-sandler.html

jenkins

funny enough, also from that article:

Quote"Uncut Gems" is an especially intense experience. If you remember the loud, discombobulating drug-dealer scene in Anderson's "Boogie Nights," "Uncut Gems" runs at that high-pitched frenzy for its pretty much its entire length.

wilberfan

Jeff Goldblum Weighs In On The Best Movies Of The Decade

GOLDBLUM: Besides that, the ones that I'm not in - let me see. You know, what came to mind as I was thinking of this? I like Paul Thomas Anderson, another Anderson, and I like "The Master."

I would love to work with him. I liked "Inherent Vice." I liked all of his movies, "Boogie Nights," is, of course, great. Gee, I just think he's very special. He admired somebody that I worked with, I think, worked with him a little bit - with Robert Altman. I did four movies with Robert Altman. I was so lucky to encounter him early in my career. You should never name-drop. You know who told me that? Robert De Niro.

wilberfan

Steven Soderbergh on why he stopped working as a writer/director: "It's fucking hard"

QuoteI wrote to get my foot in the door, but in having a frank conversation with myself, I realized, "You're not really a writer." You've written, but by the standards by which I judge writers, then, no. Lem Dobbs is a writer. I am not. It's a trap that young filmmakers fall into. "I have to write and direct everything I do." Well, that's fine, only . . . if you're not Paul Thomas Anderson, don't put yourself through hell for no reason. There's a reason he only makes movies every what, four years or so? To go to the well to write original screenplays — it's fucking hard. And I realized my well wasn't very deep. The best use of my skill set as a filmmaker was to work with writers instead of being a one-man band. That changed everything for the better.