Top 10 of 2018

Started by Alethia, December 03, 2018, 01:58:24 PM

Sleepless

Seen 99% of what I wanted to now, so I think this safe to consider my definitive top 5 in no order other than alphabetical:

*still need to see Shoplifters and Beale Street
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Goddamn, still gotta see both these Paddington movies.

Robyn

I'll probably just skip the first Paddington because I'm not sure I need to watch it to be able to understand the second one, hehe.

Anyway, I just finished Climax, so here's my top 5, I guess:
1. Climax
2. Burning
3. Suspiria
4. Isle of Dogs
5. Shoplifters

Worst film:
Mandy

There's still a lot I haven't seen yet though.

WorldForgot

imo Paddington 1 > 2 but 2 is great fun.

Sleepless

Quote from: eward on December 03, 2018, 01:58:24 PM
A Bread Factory, Part One: For the Sake of Gold
A Bread Factory, Part Two: Walk With Me a While

Watched this week. Really good! Not sure I completely got (or the film needed) some of the "performances" of Part Two, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I think Tyne Daly might get my vote for best supporting actress.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

1. Eighth Grade
2. Annihilation
3. Leave No Trace
4. The House That Jack Built
5. You Were Never Really Here
6. The Favourite
7. Bad Times At The El Royale
8. Widows
9. Revenge
10. First Reformed

Honorable mentions: Game Night, Sorry To Bother You, Spiderverse, Mandy, Hereditary.

Still need to see: Burning, Beale Street, Destroyer.

wilberfan

Nice to see Leave No Trace and Game Night on there.  I will be in the minority by saying that the rest honestly didn't impress me much.  (I seem to have become quite the Cinema Curmudgeon.)

Jeremy Blackman

I can see that. 2018 wasn't a year for GREAT movies. Only feel very strongly about the top 3-4.

By contrast, looking at last year's list, I would be comfortable calling 1 through 9 masterpieces.