Top 10 of 2018

Started by Alethia, December 03, 2018, 01:58:24 PM

Alethia

*UPDATED*

Still plenty to see, not sure how many I'll manage to get through before year's end (though try I will!), but based on what I've managed to consume so far, my numbers being shamefully down from the past few years, here's my rough top ten:

1. First Reformed - Paul Schrader
2. The Favourite - Yorgos Lanthimos
3. Golden Exits - Alex Ross Perry
4. Cold War - Pawel Pawlikowski
5. The House That Jack Built: Unrated Director's Cut - Lars von Trier
6. You Were Never Really Here - Lynne Ramsay
7. Vox Lux - Brady Corbet
8. Ready Player One - Steven Spielberg
9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - The Coen Bros.
10. The Old Man & The Gun - David Lowery

Honorable Mentions:
Hereditary - Ari Aster
Private Life - Tamara Jenkins
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Christopher McQuarrie
Roma - Alfonso Cuaron
Unsane - Steven Soderbergh
Wildlife - Paul Dano
Let the Sunshine In - Claire Denis
The Other Side of the Wind - Orson Welles
Widows - Steve McQueen
Halloween - David Gordon Green
The Great Buster - Peter Bogdanovich
They'll Love Me When I'm Dead - Morgan Neville

Worst of 2018:
A Quiet Place - John Krasinski

Best Theatrical Experience:

Andrei Rublev 4K Restoration @ Walter Reade
*tied with*
2001: A Space Odyssey on IMAX 70mm @ AMC Lincoln Square

Still Need to See:

High Life
Monrovia, Indiana
A Star Is Born
Madeline's Madeline
Mid 90s
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Rich Asians
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
At Eternity's Gate
Shoplifters
Border
A Private War
The Wild Boys
Coincoin and the Extra Humans
Paul Sanchez est revenu!
On the Beach at Night Alone
Leto
Treasure Island
Blindspotting
A Bread Factory, Part One: For the Sake of Gold
A Bread Factory, Part Two: Walk With Me a While
Shirkers

TV: Only really watched The Haunting of Hill House and while I enjoyed more or less the first half of the season, it degenerates so rapidly in the latter half as to almost self-destruct (particularly the finale which was absolute fucking maudlin garbage).

Well, whaddya got?

jenkins

Roma
Shirkers
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Cam
Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
BlacKkKlansman
Black Panther
Halloween

nope, haven't seen ten yet. lol at netflix titles being at the top. i did see Roma theatrically

jenkins

JOHN WATERS on the Best Films of 2018

1 JEANNETTE: THE CHILDHOOD OF JOAN OF ARC (Bruno Dumont) An insanely radical heavy-metal grade-school religious pageant that is sung in French from beginning to end. The actors themselves seem like they might burst out laughing, but this is no joke. It's the best movie of the year. You'll hate it.

2 AMERICAN ANIMALS (Bart Layton) A true-crime story with a brilliant ensemble cast and the real-life culprits and victims edited in, commenting throughout on the action. Adolescent group madness is a beautiful thing to watch.

3 NICO, 1988 (Susanna Nicchiarelli) A small, sad, fearless biopic that asks the question: "Is junkie dignity possible?" The answer is no. Trine Dyrholm as our heroin-loving heroine plunges headfirst into the despair of showbiz with fierce determination.

4 MOM AND DAD (Brian Taylor) A surprisingly scary, well-shot, pitch-black comedy about the day all parents in the United States decide to kill their own children. A laff riot!

5 BLINDSPOTTING (Carlos López Estrada) You'll squirm. You'll identify. You'll choke on your own gentrified excuses. The smartest and funniest film about race and class in a long, long time.

6 THE GREEN FOG (Guy Maddin, Evan Johnson, and Galen Johnson) An avant-garde ode to San Francisco, the most cinematic of cities, told entirely through clips of films shot there but with all the dialogue cut out so the parts of the movies that originally didn't matter now do. Abstractly clever, strangely compelling, and just about perfect.

7 CUSTODY (Xavier Legrand) Divorce, jealousy, misogyny, and physical abuse, topped off with psychological damage to children: This feel-bad movie of the year is so beautifully acted that it made me feel happy, happy, happy!

8 SOLLERS POINT (Matthew Porterfield) Can a heterosexual director worship his male lead on film just as much as Paul Morrissey obviously did Joe Dallesandro in Trash? Sure looks that way. McCaul Lombardi is a blazing star in this small-scale but beautiful drama about a young parolee's struggle to reenter lower-middle-class life in Baltimore.

9 LET IT FALL: LOS ANGELES 1982–1992 (John Ridley) A superb documentary about the Rodney King riots that first makes you hate cops, then white people, then racist African Americans, then racist Korean people, and then yourself for forgetting all the details of this tragedy. I cried.

10 PERMANENT GREEN LIGHT (Dennis Cooper, Zac Farley) A slow, quiet, sexual cinematic poem on mopey teenage beauties who love making bombs and wish they could explode themselves.

Alethia

Damn, more to see, so little time...

wilder

First Reformed
Burning
Transit
The House That Jack Built
The Other Side of the Wind

"The Assassination of Gianni Versace"

Liked:

Isle of Dogs
Cam
mid90s
Unsane
Custody
Lean on Pete
First Man's space sequences

Yet to see: Jeannette, Cold War, The Wild Boys, Pin Cushion, Let the Sunshine In

jenkins

oh i see Border is a thing. it's currently playing here. moving it from "never heard about it" into "missing out on it," which is clearly separate from the category of "deliberately ignoring it."

putneyswipe

A year of several "good but not great" movies IMO, though I suspect Burning might be up there on a rewatch. How I'm feeling now...

4/5

Burning

3.5/5

Sorry to Bother You
First Reformed
The Favourite

3/5

Roma
Annihilation

2.5/5

Hereditary
Blindspotting
A Star is Born
Incredibles 2

Still on watchlist:

If Beale Street Could Talk
Mid 90s
Vox Lux
Shoplifters
High Life
A Quiet Place
Bohemian Rhapsody

samsong

1. burning
2. the ballad of buster scruggs
3. let the sunshine in
4. paddington 2
5. zama
6. the day after
7. the sisters brothers
8. golden exits
9. you were never really here
10. shoplifters

jenkins

Hong sangsoo's recent output was impresssive even based on Hong sangsoo standards

Nails9

TOP 9:
First Reformed
Madeline's Madeline
Hereditary
Suspiria
Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Blindspotting
Annihilation
Mission Impossible 6, or 7 or whatever 1 it was.
You Were Never Really Here

Ones I've missed that will throw this whole thing off:
Burning
Bodied
Border
Roma
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Widows
House That Jack Built
Overlord
The Favorite

Favorite old film I saw for the first time this year and am kicking myself for being so stupid:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
WKBB*I/S*NotTP*SSotCB*OS & r.i.p.b.m.

samsong

Quote from: wilder on December 03, 2018, 05:03:06 PM
First Reformed
Burning
Transit
The Other Side of the Wind

"The Assassination of Gianni Versace"

Liked:

Isle of Dogs
Cam
Unsane
Custody
Lean on Pete
First Man's space sequences

Yet to see: Roma, Jeannette, Cold War, mid90s, The Wild Boys, Pin Cushion, Let the Sunshine In

how'd you see Transit?  wasnt aware of its existence, have something to look forward to in march.

wilder

NYFF. Definitely something to look forward to, it's dense and thought-provoking. Almost made a post about it the other day but one viewing feels insufficient.

pete

Roma
O Lucy!
Beale Street
Widows
Eighth Grade
Blindspotting
On Her Shoulders
American Animals
Science Fair
Won't You Be My Neighbor

Really liked Damsel, Private Life, and that movie about the brothers going back to the cult they escaped from
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: pete on December 06, 2018, 06:34:21 PM
and that movie about the brothers going back to the cult they escaped from

The Endless is almost definitely a top 10 of the year for me, but man I wish they had figured out something more interesting to do with the ending.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

I was happy with the ending. So many indie sci-fis build their scripts like a twist is coming and then nothing. With this one I was very happy when they said there was going to a revelation that there actually was one.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton