The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

Kal

Damnit I wish I hadn't watch that. Even though they can do it in so many different ways, there are still significant spoilers from end of last season.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: 03 on July 25, 2014, 04:44:52 PM
i agree, its just the constant "i don't trust them" "we have to stick together" in that trailer that irked me a little bit.

They also like to throw that word "Washington" around a lot...we get it guys! You have to get to Washington!

i know most of you have given up on this show. but did anyone see the premiere last night?
i was shockingly impressed and terrified. easily the most violent episode of the series. some serious tear jerking moments and equally skin crawling horror. must watch.

Jeremy Blackman

I definitely haven't given up on the show. It's in top form. Almost incomprehensibly better than the show it once was. When last night's episode ended, I wanted to immediately rewatch it. They've really figured out how to pick up the pace (a painful lesson learned from Hershel's farm) and pack a lot of awesomeness into one episode. It almost had the characteristics of a season finale. And I think the show's real genre strength is action, not horror or anything else.

SPOILERS

Some other thoughts:

- Yup, the emotional parts absolutely worked for me. Kind of caught me off guard.
- Carol is definitely one of the best characters.
- The bleeding out scene didn't quite have the intended amount of tension, once we saw that our people were last in line to be cut. Breaking Bad kind of spoiled us on throat-slitting anyway. (It was still horrifying though.)
- I hope Beth stays in that trunk. I don't see what value she would add to the show right now.

Fernando

yes, great episode and definitely one of the best episodes involving all the main characters, last season the ones that where the focus on just one party were the best.

SPOILS

- am I the only one that thinks the guy that was beaten by Tyreese is alive?
- Carl still doesn't work for me (ok, he didint do shit on this one but still), although last season he had a couple of great moments with Michonne.
- the creep that wanted to waste D (from the wire, cant remember his name) was alive when they left Terminus along with other two or three ppl, I'm sure that at some point they will clash again.

agree with JB that action suits best this show, I'd only add that action with a sense of dread is when it works best.

polkablues

I don't think it's possible to overestimate the positive impact Scott Gimple taking over running the show has had on the quality of the product. He understands how to focus on the emotional impact of events in a way the show used to be terrible at. I'm not going to type out the spoiler, but the ultimate revelation of the Terminus groups' motivation was truly chilling. In that one moment of understanding their mindset, they became more terrifying than the Governor ever was in his entire run on the series.

And yeah, Carol. Holy crap. Most improved character/actor in television history?
My house, my rules, my coffee

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

my review:

"hmmm...let's have our main characters run into some mustache-twirlingly evil group whom they cannot trust and then the day will be saved when the undead attack and ONLY eat the bad guys!!!!"
~ quote from Walking Dead writers' room, more than once per season I'm sure

yeah, that's getting to be a bit old. otherwise i'm glad to see someone who understands characters in a way that makes it palpably emotional when we see them reunited. and I also like seeing Chad Coleman beat up the reporter dude from "Treme".  Show's still a bit weak, seems kind of too in love with itself, but it definitely had episodes in the past two seasons that were solid, so I'll give it a go for those chestnuts.

spoilers s05e02

pretty amazing episode, but i am confused about a few things i want you guys to help me with:

- why the fuck did bob just walk off like that?

- how does the guy that tyreese beat up not look like he was almost beat to death?

- i'm pretty sure this will be cleared up soon, but what is the deal with the preacher? how can he survive like that without any weapons? how is that church not torn to pieces?

- jesus christ that ending was scarring. so will bob be the new one legged character? i was wondering why they kept him alive, and freaked myself out when i thought of the concept that they're just going to keep him alive because they can't store his meat, and will probaly end up feeding him his own body as they eat him piece by piece. good job walking dead, you are officially disturbing as fuck.

polkablues

SPOILERS

Bob got bit in the community center by the underwater walker. Pretty sure he was wandering off to go kill himself before he turned.

If you look at the shot of his severed foot in the fire, you can see bite marks on the ankle. The cannibals just inadvertently saved his life by chopping his leg off.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WHOA thank you. totally did not see that. very apparent on rewatch.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

Yeah I'm not sure about the preacher. My first guess is that he locked people out of the church (I guess that's self-evident) or locked them in the food bank or both. Some kind of murder through inaction/fear seems most likely for his character.

I think he probably has been lucky too, in that thugs have not taken over the church. Maybe it has really good doors. (It was locked when they arrived.)

Side note: I thought the show had already reached its saturation point of actors from The Wire, but apparently not. I expect Ziggy to appear next week.

also, the walking dead: the wire retirement home
edit: damn we modified at the exact same time lol

Jeremy Blackman

I just edited in a comment about that. You sniped me. :doh:

Mel

Looks promising so far. Writing room isn't fighting against deficiencies of previous season and they planted enough ahead of time to have arcs to burn in future.

I didn't lost my interest in the show, just "The Knick" took my attention before.   
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

SPOILERS SEASON 5 Ep 02

Quote from: O3 on October 20, 2014, 04:04:40 PM

- how does the guy that tyreese beat up not look like he was almost beat to death?

I didn't notice him being there. If you're referring to the guy talking to Bob, that was the guy who was in charge of Throat-Slitting 101, not Mr. Fireworks.