I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

jenkins

never seen it. would totally watch it. felt involved with the trailer

Fuzzy Dunlop

I started buying used blu-rays a few years ago and built up a pretty big collection, I definitely prefer it to streaming.

Has anyone made the jump to 4K UHD discs? I just got The Matrix, Big Lebowski, Blade Runner 2049, War For the Planet of the Apes, and Black Hawk Down. We're in the early days of a new format where you want to get movies you can really test your system out on. They all look great but honestly I was most impressed with Big Lebowski, I never gave that film credit for being visually rich, but I think it's because older transfers were kind of shit.

Have a few on my wishlist. Waiting to get Phantom Thread in 4K...I have the blu and it's still a little pricey for me for a double dip. I hear The Shining's new 4K transfer is going to be amazing. Will also definitely get Apocalypse Now when there's a price drop.

Ravi

Quote from: Fuzzy Dunlop on August 28, 2019, 01:12:25 PM
Has anyone made the jump to 4K UHD discs?

I have a few 4K discs. There aren't many that I want, but we're now starting to get some good catalogue titles on the format.

WorldForgot

Spoiler: ShowHide
My current collection. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls being my latest purchase, at the B&N Criterion sale.
Bluz Not Pictured: De Palma (2015),  Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), Inherent Vice (2014), The New York Ripper (1982), Spring Breakers (2012), Suspiria (2018), Under the Skin (2013)

jenkins

Thunderbean is an independent distributor and already sent my disc btw

jenkins

i instigated properties of yolo while ordering two more and i'd appreciate if the topic could focus on timeless essence rather than dreams from the past

QuoteAll Aboard for a Trip to the Moon (1920)
Inklings #12
Snipshots (British release of an 'Inklings' short)
Christmas Seals Advertisement (1925)
Koko Salutes (1925)
My Old Kentucky Home (1925)
It's the Cat's (1926; Weiss reissue version)
Finding His Voice (1929 for Western Electric)
Hurry Doctor (1931 for Texaco)
Let's Sing with Popeye (1933)
Betty In Blunderland (1933)
This Little Piggy Went to Market (1934)
Dancing On the Moon (1935)
Musical Mountaineers (1939)
The Vacationer's Paradise (1942)
News Sketches (1944)

QuoteTheatrical and entertaining Industrials:
Big Tim- Beautifully animated UPA short from 1948
Destination Earth-Oil is king in this astonishingly designed industrial short from 1956
The Magic Fluke-Great Fox and Crow short from UPA
It's Only the Beginning- rare Technicolor John Sutherland pro-business propaganda film
The Sailor and the Seagull (1949) rare UPA cartoon for the Navy
Swab Your Choppers (1948) UPA for the US Navy
Planet Patrol- Rare and cool late 50's pilot for a TV series

Cool Drive in Stuff!
Drive in countdown and snack bar ads from the golden age of drive-in movies.

Super Stylish Commericals
A truely great collectionof 'spots' including rare commercials for Nash, Playhouse Pictures, a Shamus Culhane Productions showreel, Rare TV weatherman spots from Soundac Studios, Tex Avery Kool-Aid Commercials and much more!

contents of the previously-mentioned halloween haunts blu-ray

QuoteFilms include:
THE HAUNTED HOTEL (J. Stuart Blackton, 1907)
THE PUMPKIN RACE (Roméo Bosetti, 1907)
Out of the Inkwell: OUIJA BOARD (Max Fleischer, 1920)
Dinky Doodle: JUST SPOOKS (Walter Lantz, 1925)
Out of the Inkwell: KO-KO SEES SPOOKS (Fleischer, 1925)
ALICE'S MYSTERIOUS MYSTERY (Disney, 1926)
Mutt & Jeff: SLICK SLEUTHS (Dick Huemer, 1926)
PETE'S HAUNTED HOUSE (Lantz, 1926)
Felix the Cat: SURE-LOCKED HOMES (Otto Messmer, 1928)
THE FRESH LOBSTER (ca. 1920s) with Billy Bletcher
Snap the Gingerbread Man: THE WITCH'S CAT (Kinex Studios, 1929)
Waffles & Don: THE HAUNTED SHIP (Van Beuren, 1930)
Felix the Cat: SKULLS AND SCULLS (Messmer, 1930)
Tom & Jerry: WOT A NIGHT (Van Beuren, 1931)
Felix the Cat: BOLD KING COLE (Van Beuren, 1936)

wilder

Quote from: DVDBeaverI have just been given word that Blu-ray producer Twilight Time are shuttering their doors... I will send you the announcement as I received it - you may wish to nab some titles while they are still available (and on sale!):

IT'S TWILIGHT TIME FOR US! OUR "GOODBYE" & "GRATITUDE" SALE FOR OUR INCREDIBLE SUPPORTERS FROM CINEMAGISTICS 

https://www.twilighttimemovies.com

COMMENCING MONDAY MAY 11th

All titles priced at $3.95, $4.45, $6.95 or $11.95

Many of these titles will never be seen on Blu-ray again! Buy now to complete your Twilight Time library as only limited quantities remain on many titles ONCE THEY ARE GONE – THEY ARE GONE FOR GOOD!

After nine years of successful operations in which 380 motion pictures from the 1930s to the 2010s have been released on DVD and  Blu-ray disc, the home video label Twilight Time founded by veteran Hollywood studio executives and filmmakers Brian Jamieson and the late, dearly celebrated Nick Redman, will not release any further titles and we will be winding down operations this summer.  A changing market, the rising costs of title acquisitions and the passing of longtime partner and company spokesman Nick Redman, are key reasons for the closure.

As part of our winding down process, there will be a one-time reduction in prices to $3.95,$6.95 and $11.95 as of Monday, May 11th at www.TwilightTimeMovies.com.  Cinemagistics/TwilightTimeMovies.com will continue to sell titles while available through June 30th, at which time they and Twilight Time will cease operations.

Remaining inventory will be acquired and distributed exclusively by Screen Archives – effective July 1st 2020.

When launched in 2011, Twilight Time pioneered the concept of bringing rare and distinctive films of all genres to the marketplace in 3,000-unit Limited Editions, exclusively available at two website destinations: Screen Archives Entertainment and later Twilight Time Movies.  This allowed devoted movie fans to obtain physical copies of highly desired titles which did not command shelf space at local brick and mortar stores.  Nick aptly named the venture Twilight Time, because eventually the concept of film as physical goods would have a 'sell-by date' possibly sooner rather than later. Nick once said, "At the onset we never envisaged we would be around for nearly a decade before it was time for the sun to set on the company." 

During that time, the Twilight Time catalog has included fabled films from the libraries of Twentieth Century Fox, Sony Pictures, MGM/United Artists, Universal Studios, Film 4, Protagonist Pictures, Toei Company and other entities, and showcased many Academy Award®- and international prize-winning titles.  Thanks to Nick Redman's 30+ years as an award-winning film music historian and preservationist, most releases have included synchronized Isolated Music or Music-and-Effects Tracks that provided a rare platform for the lauded and unsung composers so vital to the filmmaking process. Many offerings also provided informative Audio Commentary tracks involving co-founder Redman and a host of internationally noted film historians that expertly contextualized and enhanced the viewing experience.

From the beginning, the core Twilight Time players – essayist and commentary contributor Julie Kirgo, packaging designer Louis Falzarano, soundtrack editor/music historian Mike Matessino, disc authoring supervisor Jeff Jewett, and our project coordinator Mike Finnegan – have played essential and "best in class" roles in this unique venture. We also want to recognize the extraordinary help of our Distribution and Marketing partners at Screen Archives and Twilight Time Movies. Most importantly, from the bottom of our hearts we thank you, the appreciative film collector.  You have supported us throughout this marvelous journey and will hopefully continue to do so while these "one of a kind" limited-run titles are still accessible to you.

Some of these may eventually be picked up by Kino as licenses expire (as a few OOP titles already have been), but there's no telling what the timeline on those releases might be.

jenkins

i thought everybody else was going to keep physical media alive. i underestimated potential death as an actual problem. books are the only ones that have survived. that's because you turn the physical pages, which is rewarding. provides a sense of accomplishment. unfortunately a blu-ray doesn't provide a sense of accomplishment. whatever because my collection is dope. i had to order final ones here because of course i did. this era is genuinely ending. "A changing market"

rest in unfortunate disc decay, i cherish you

wilder

Although they reference "a changing market" in their farewell letter, and it's certainly a critical time for the smaller labels, I wouldn't take Twilight Time's demise as a harbinger of doom for physical media as a whole. Their business model was different than others in that they licensed wide swaths of catalog titles of varying quality, put them out in limited edition sets of 3,000 copies each at a steep and rarely discounted MSRP of $29.95, stocked only on Screen Archives and their own website, and for the most part declined to include extra features beyond an isolated score track (this might have been contractual).

All in all, Twilight Time put out around 400 discs, mostly with solid transfers, but their product was comparatively expensive and their target market so broad that they never gained a dedicated following like other companies with more niche, focused output. Collectors looked at the label as an expensive version of Kino, a "maybe they'll put it out if no one else will", and in terms of the rate of their release schedule they certainly filled a void, but there's no reason another label (Kino) can't pick up the torch when their licenses do expire. Even Criterion has laid claim to some (1984).

Their most recent announcements were made several months ago, so the economic fallout that's been happening these past few months is unlikely to be the cause of their closing. I believe their licenses were for a 3-year window, so as that period has largely come to a close, my bet is that "changing market conditions" is really codespeak for "people are no longer willing to pay $35 (w/shipping) per release" when competing labels put out titles like these for a lower price, and when exclusivity for the titles doesn't mean anything if you're also buying discs overseas.

jenkins

my life would genuinely feel bleaker without you wilder. we're in this together and thank you for your silver lining. sometimes people shittalk my movie collection in that horrible "just giving you good advice about embracing the present" way that overlooks all kinds of other tremendous practical and emotional properties associated with collecting movies. aside from 4k and blockbusters it's largely become an esoteric enterprise but you remind me that there are others out there. and Twilight sent an email that said "oh shit thousands of you placed orders and there's the pandemic so y'all gonna wait a while"

wilder

Damn, man. That's nice to say but I also hope you're doing alright. Fwiw your friendship is valued, too. I look forward to your posts and your take on things.

A lot of what makes physical media worth it for me is its limiting effect on the paradox of choice that streaming can create. I like being able to look at a shelf as a map of the landscape of cinema. When my eyes drift over the titles, it helps me contextualize them in relationship to each other, and somehow makes clearer to me what individual stories they're telling. What do each of them do best, or differently? What could a variation on these kinds of stories improve? Letterboxd lists with their covers all lined up can accomplish a similar thing, too, but then that gets complicated finding out what's playing where and do I have it aw fuck blah blah blah. Just want to take it off the shelf and not deal with the fucking middle men.

jenkins

not experiencing a crisis independent of this whole plague thing just sometimes i say certain things certain ways and in terms of movie nerd friends i mean meaningful shared eye contact

recently i've seen people with large cd collections behind them and that gives me insight into an outside perspective of physical media, since i don't physically collect music these days. i dabbled in the vinyl thing but moved on from it, and sold my collection of cds. most of what i want to hear is streaming, but it's true that there's this/that i'm not even remembering i bet. in addition to special editions and whatnot. so, anyway, spotify is a huge collection of streaming potential, and you don't get that same type of congregation with movies. there are too many streaming services. it's rude tbh. so i have like six streaming services on my shelves, and frankly on account of tending to buy the classic shit and the weird shit my collection puts my thoughts where i like them to be. most of the movies i've wanted to sell i've sold and i'm glad to have all the movies i have except some of them actually but also it spices things up to have some i'm not glad to have. simply, it's a spicy collection. from the outside it's like whaaat and from the inside there are specifics taking place, and i treasure the specifics

jenkins

what i hear is even mainstream 4K titles are dropping out of print. it's headed to mostly boutique? so a reality is blu-rays are old now, and dvds are so old it's actually like impressive they're still releasing dvds. that's a um luddite victory. to provide a random blu-ray example, Adaptation. is 66 used on amazon today, and you can't even trust amazon oop, let's check ebay, okay it's 55 there you're fucked. that's fucked. i became so upset about this i ordered two movies before this forum switches to Streaming Talk

i think they were on the criterion channel just a bit ago. the criterion channel is chill but they got like dates on these things don't they. death to dates and put everything in one program like with music please

wilder

Great choices. It's unfortunate (fortunate?) that Nun cover looks like there are dicks coming out of her head, tho.

Sucks about Adaptation, but in general the anecdote to the OOP blues is going region-free. Often something out of print in the US will still be available in the UK (and for cheap!), but that isn't the case for that. If you want to go crazy you can check this thread on the blu-ray.com forums, where users track titles as they fall out of circulation.

I've also noticed things winding down. The silver lining about now is that most of the mainstream stuff is already out there, so the deepest catalog titles are finally getting released since they're really all that's left. My rule for the immediate future is to buy explicitly limited runs first (Indicator, Mondo Macabro, Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow box sets), everything else after.

Where are you hearing the thing about mainstream 4K titles?

jenkins

Quote from: wilder on May 18, 2020, 01:28:41 AM
My rule for the immediate future is to buy explicitly limited runs first (Indicator, Mondo Macabro, Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow box sets), everything else after.

Where are you hearing the thing about mainstream 4K titles?

i have a friend who is also a collector and i was complaining about this/that being oop on bluray and he mentioned the problem existing within 4K but i can't remember the title and maybe he's mistaken

totally about getting the limiteds. you know i go subsurface too, and this like fucking michigan company ships out remastered cartoon classics. you might be a mistaken type who dismisses cartoons but for the history of it trust me with snafu. nonremastered and silent my personal situation is whatever is going on with the cowboy and the flapper