Million Dollar Baby

Started by MacGuffin, December 01, 2004, 07:02:07 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYunforgiven sucks though

I Am Jack's Complete Loss For Words.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

and any credibility Neon ever had is gone.

Unforgivenable

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate

and any credibility Neon ever had is gone.

Unforgivenable

haha, yea, neon is on a tear lately. everything sucks nowadays according to him these last couple weeks.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

didnt know theer was so much love for unforgiven :yabbse-undecided:

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURYdidnt know theer was so much love for unforgiven :yabbse-undecided:

It's only one of the greatest Westerns ever.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Boyz Un-For-Give-N the Hood?
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Boyz In The Hood used to be awesome but you watch it now it seems so dated. Unforgiven DOES NOT suffer from the same problem, which is weird, right?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Quote from: StefenBoyz In The Hood used to be awesome but you watch it now it seems so dated. Unforgiven DOES NOT suffer from the same problem, which is weird, right?

Not really, in the 1800s that shit was SO FRESH

Stefen

Clint Eastwood seems to always be ahead of his time.

Ultrahip

finally saw this, and it's pretty good. did anyone else get a 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' vibe from this at all? not in the plot obviously or any of the other actual content, but just the way the gym was shot, it's so well mapped out, the feeling of really being there reminded of the way the hospital was shot in cuckoo. that and the gyms collection of goofy characters. then the downer ending, of course. i dunno, i just felt some cuckoo vibes off of this one.

soixante

You might be on to something.

SPOILER ALERT....

Both Cuckoo's Nest and Million Dollar Baby end with a mercy killing.
Music is your best entertainment value.

grand theft sparrow

Just saw this last night, loooooong after the hype has died down.  I was expecting to be as disappointed by this as I was by Sideways but I liked it.  Whoever worked on the marketing campaign needs to be fired, though; they made it look like an average boxing movie.  Granted, it IS an average boxing movie if you focus on the story alone but the script is good and Eastwood deserved the Best Director Oscar.

But it's not the masterpiece people think it is.  There's plenty of problems with the movie.  First off, they should have either lost the Danger subplot or hired a different actor.  Because the kid from Undeclared was playing Danger as a retarded caricature which clashed with everything else in the movie.  It was embarassing.

That and I worked out what I don't like about Hilary Swank.  She has no charisma.  She's technically a good actress but I don't feel anything when she's on screen.  Maybe it was because I knew about the ending already but I just didn't really feel sad when *SPOILER FOR THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH TO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE THIRD ACT OF THE MOVIE*  he pulled the plug. *END "SPOILER"*  Like I said, she's a good actress in a technical sense, so I can't hate her, but she doesn't know how to dominate the screen, so I can't like her; I felt like Clint and Morgan upstaged her throughout.  But she's got 2 Oscars and I have none so maybe I'm wrong.