NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Reinhold on August 01, 2010, 06:28:51 PM
(man, i'm gonna laugh my ass off at this in a few years)

You won't have time to.  Not with all the Starcraft you'll be playing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

squints

ummm so some of ya'll pm your e-mail or somethin. lets play some starcraft!

INSUFFICIENT VESPINE GAS!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How do the guest passes work, exactly?  Do I get a free trial download and then get really upset once I start having to pay for it?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Finished Alan Wake. Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Pure David Lynch.

Playing a lot of FIFA: World Cup on PS3. Also started Heavy Rain, which I like a lot.

Don't think I'll be picking up Madden. Thinking about going through another Fallout 3 playthrough before New Vegas, but don't know if I have the time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

Alan Wake is also on PC right? Is it like HEavy Rain, cause I didn't like that.

I bought Madden today and it's easily the best Madden I've ever played. Last one I bought was 2003 I think, but I had played 1996-2003. The gameflow new feature is awesome and the MySkillLevel level makes the best gaming experience. I love the Packers, especially since I traded away all their players that had rastas and other kinds of braids and shit. I only want rednecks on my team.

Stefen

Quote from: Pas on August 10, 2010, 08:32:34 PM
I traded away all their players that had rastas and other kinds of braids and shit. I only want rednecks on my team.

LOL!

Only sports game I buy annually are the NBA 2K games. Maybe the UFC games too but this last one was so awful online that I may sit next years out.

Alan Wake is nothing like Heavy Rain. It's more of a survival horror game than anything. Not sure if it's on PC, I just know it's not on PS3.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pas on August 10, 2010, 08:32:34 PM
I love the Packers, especially since I traded away all their players that had rastas and other kinds of braids and shit. I only want rednecks on my team.

Haha, what I love about playing the Packers on this year's Madden is that a high percentage of the fans in the stadium are black but fuck, if you go to a Packers game, it's like going to a Tea Party rally in a big city. A few blacks here and there, but it's an almost all white show. Green Bay is really that rural.

Pas

Quote from: Stefen on March 10, 2010, 02:34:29 AM
Who's playing Final Fantasy XIII?

My preorder arrived today and I'll probably start tomorrow night.

See you guys in 3 weeks.

Did you end up liking this? Just bought it this morning and it has insane graphics but it's weird nowadays to have a RPG that is so close-world or linear or whatever they call it.

Stefen

I liked it but never finished it. Got about 40 hours in and just got tired of the non-linear gameplay. It's a gorgeous game, but I like exploring in RPG's and you don't really get any of that in FFXIII. It's probably one of my least favorite Final Fantasy's.

picolas

stefen you're being faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too kind. IT IS A TURD. i traded it in after about a week. the characters are MISERABLE. there's a guy who actually goes around shouting stuff like "your hero is on his way!" in a completely unironic fashion. you actually want him to die for being so unknowingly douchey. every time a character reacts to something, they make little sounds like "ahh!" or "whaaa?" which is like a shout out to anime but completely fails in this realistic cg medium. then there's the 'comic relief' black guy who's basically in a constant state of stumbling around things even when there's nothing to stumble around. the cinematics and real time cut scenes and basically ANY time a character opens their mouth is beyond awkward. even by videogame standards. whoever directed the voice actors has ZERO business in doing so. i wouldn't be surprised if it was the same guy who directed the pixels in the earlier games, and he did such a good job they let him direct PEOPLE in ffx, then ignored everything he did there (almost ruin that whole experience) and then let him do it again here, only this time there's no remotely solid gameplay to back it up. the gameplay is like a slap in the face to anyone over three years old. basically you push the A button to select "auto battle". that's honest-to-god the BEST possible move you can make in 99.99999% of every situation. THEN after you've done that for three hours the game throws a curve ball and allows to do one extra thing? i'm told it takes about 30 hours for the game to actually let you play it. now i'm all for slowly teaching the player a complicated system, but don't treat me like an idiot for the first 6-20 hours of fucking gameplay you jerk! i feel like the game hates me and is daring me to stop playing it at every turn. it's almost like a video game adaptation of The Room. except not redeeming at all. never play it or look at it.

whew. had to get that off my chest.

Pas

Wow after 6 hours of this I am already completely sick of it. It's pretty boring and awful.

I'm tired of wasting my money on terrible ps3 games. 8.5 gamespot review my ass.

picolas

yeah whoever gave that thing a fucking good review is only going through the motions because it's final fantasy and it looks pretty. it's a really good litmus test for game critics.

Stefen

Awful dialog has been a cornerstone of every Final Fantasy game since forever. If you're looking for good dialog, you might want to look somewhere else than a FF game. The "waaaa?!?!" and "wuuutt!!" were holdovers from the earlier games that didn't have voice acting. The charm of them were always the RPG and exploration elements along with items and summons. They were always ahead of the curve in terms of turn based battles but nowadays turn based just seems so dated. I liked the idea of the paradigm system and had more fun in boss battles than I did exploring in FFXIII, but that can only get you so far. I actually think FFXII had the best battle system in the series.

Pas

At one point I had a 2-3 minutes cutscene, took control of Snow (I think), walked straight ahead for 10-15 seconds and a 5 minutes cutscene started.

I started laughing and just put my controler on the table.

picolas

stefen, this isn't my first ff. i realize voice acting has ruined the series as of now, but it didn't have to. the dialogue always sounded good in my head. the way these actors are being directed coupled with the way  these motion suit actors are being blocked is pure Schlock. and the scripts have gotten worse. cloud and squall were complicated, effed up beings. these new characters are thinner than sliced paper. and yeah i hear the battle system is great after 30 hours, but 30 hours of torturous, hand-holding simplicity is not worth that. at least not to me. it's inhumanly designed.