Midsommar

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 05, 2019, 11:56:11 AM

Something Spanish

Jeremy Blackman

I respect that opinion and can see how you got there, but I just loved it. I guess there was one new Mark comment that might've been a bit much, but even that I liked. The length of this cut really makes it feel like a journey, whereas the original cut is sort of in a middleground that doesn't quite have the same effect.

polkablues

I'm having a hard time imagining that removing the ambiguity of Christian's character would strengthen the film in my eyes. To me, that's a feature, not a bug.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on August 31, 2019, 01:33:17 PMI'm having a hard time imagining that removing the ambiguity of Christian's character would strengthen the film in my eyes. To me, that's a feature, not a bug.

You'd think so. That's what I would expect, too. But I felt that making Christian less ambiguous refocused the film on Dani. Instead of trying to figure him out and decide who's in the right, your frustration with him builds, and then you're more "with" Dani (she puts up more resistance to him in this cut) and focused on what she's going to do with her life and for herself. With all that in mind, there's also an element of wish fulfillment here that's more satisfying as a consequence.

Alexandro

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 31, 2019, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: polkablues on August 31, 2019, 01:33:17 PMI'm having a hard time imagining that removing the ambiguity of Christian's character would strengthen the film in my eyes. To me, that's a feature, not a bug.

You'd think so. That's what I would expect, too. But I felt that making Christian less ambiguous refocused the film on Dani. Instead of trying to figure him out and decide who's in the right, your frustration with him builds, and then you're more "with" Dani (she puts up more resistance to him in this cut) and focused on what she's going to do with her life and for herself. With all that in mind, there's also an element of wish fulfillment here that's more satisfying as a consequence.

Yes. I agree. On paper, it sounds like overexplaining, but all in all it becomes an improvement and it allows the viewer to focus more on her. That's mainly what you get from the extended version, a better focus on Dani's journey.

I really like Midsommar, it's a powerful and unforgettable experience. I prefer the DC, but I do gotta say, that the film has one big thing that it does not in the best way, and I really have to make an effort to let it go in order to enjoy everything else. Many people I've spoken to about the film agrees, and some just can't let it past them:

Spoiler: ShowHide
 They don't leave or appear to be as shocked by the first sacrifices as most normal members of the audience would. I think is a lot to ask from us at that point, and it's probably a miscalculation where internal character logic (meaning showing us who these characters are by their actions regarding that moment) was privileged over basic narrative logic. They witness a pretty fucked up thing, by any standard, and next thing you know, no one seems to care that much about it. It's one thing for Dani, who is having an assimilation of her own with all of this, to digest it in a strange way; but it's completely different when our other three main characters just blow it off as "cultural". It seems unearned how barely two minutes after this very violent and traumatic moment, Christian and this other dude are discussing who has priority about their subject for a thesis. It really is like, "what the fuck? Shouldn't they be discussing something else right now? How come they don't say this to his other friend who wasn't there? How come that is not THE SUBJECT OF EVERY CONVERSATION FOR THE REST OF THE DAY, AT LEAST?

The scene with Dani by the lake seems like a better moment to follow the sacrifice, because this is when she expresses not only her concerns, but ours as well. The fact that she talks about this, expresses doubts, and maintains a logical position, frees us to let the subject go as well. But where the scene is at right now it comes a bit late, the damage is done and it becomes really difficult to "be" with these guys for a while. Nevertheless, it speaks of the film's power that it eventually can make us forget that (at least some of us) and get into the full experience of what comes next. 

Jeremy Blackman

Hmm. I admit, I kind of had the same issue. And for some reason I still haven't decided what I think about that.

If you break it down, each individual's reaction does sort of make sense. You have the 2 Brits freaking out instantly. You have Dani in a daze of re-traumatization. Then you have the anthropologists, one of whom knows exactly what's coming — I would argue the bigger plot hole is why he didn't properly warn his friends.

Alexandro

Yes, but there's no one in our place to react to something so huge, and that becomes a kind of elephant in the room for the rest of the film. When I saw it for the first time, after ten minutes had passed and I saw that was the way it was gonna be, I made a conscious choice to just go with it, despite my reservations. It paid off big time, but not everyone can be so open to that kind of weirdness.

jumjum

What's the difference in length of each cut? I get confused when I try to google it.

jenkins

jumjum

Jeremy Blackman

Now streaming on Amazon Prime! Only the theatrical cut, though.

Drenk

Ascension.

HACKANUT

Anyone else heard the rumors about Aster's new script?

A friend of mine has a client that says they've read the script.
They say its about a man turning into a praying mantis. Something about a stressed out protagonist putting out fires in their life, and about half way through the script they begin transforming. Seem like this pairs nicely with Aster stating his next one would be a 4 hour nightmare comedy.
My gut reaction is wishing with all of me that this is real.

WorldForgot

Just slide the food under the door.

polkablues

Ari Aster's feature films are gradually becoming more and more like his short films, and I for one am HERE FOR IT.
My house, my rules, my coffee