Sleater-Kinney

Started by ABKman18, August 14, 2005, 01:01:09 PM

ABKman18

There is no existing thread that I can see devoted to one of the best bands of the past ten years.  Yeah, they play earth-shattering-body-moving-political-heavy music, and I just can't get enough of them.  One of the  most unique voices in music history.  Their urgent, highly emotional rock music is what I need to get by these days.

polkablues

Yeah, they're okay, I guess.
My house, my rules, my coffee

GoneSavage

Quote from: ABKman18one of the best bands of the past ten years.  
Right on.  Unfortunately, still linked to the Riot Grrrl movement although they've done everything to step away from that stigma, this band still is cranking out compelling and dynamic music.  I got into them with Dig Me Out and it was a revelation to me, the interplay between the guitars was astounding -- definitely a unique approach using violent dueling lines rather than the normal out-chugging contest.  One Beat certainly broke new ground for the band, fleshing out and maturing their sound a bit more.  This was about time since Hot Rock and All Hands were basically more of the same, which was not necessarily a bad thing.  One Beat really showed their fans and themselves that they were a force to be reckoned with, and saw them become one of my top 5 favorite active bands.  Now this year with The Woods, they've sprinted straight into left field to come out with material very different from their past.  Fucking HEAVY.  Some of the lead lines and solos could have used a little trimming or tightening up but I think the urge to de-mature was too much to resist, and too much fun.  Corin's voice is mega and Janet's drums finally get the mix they've been waiting for.  Solid band, I really need to see them live.

noyes

love call the doctor.
south america's my name.

GoneSavage

mogwai

Sleater-Kinney break up

The US in trio to go on 'indefinite hiatus'

American indie girl trio Sleater-Kinney have announced they are to split.

The band, who formed 11 years ago, are set to go on "indefinite hiatus" according to a statement on their official website Sleater-kinney.com.

"After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus. The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings," they explained.

The band added: "We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us and inspired us."

Sleater-Kinney's last gig will take place at Lollapalooza festival in Chicago's Grant Park on August 4.

Sunrise

That's a shame. Their last two records have been fantastic...especially The Woods.

godardian

Having lived in S-K's 'hood until '02 (I moved just as One Beat was being released), I hope my objectivity wasn't destroyed by my hometown pride in their artistic success. I didn't love The Woods as much as most, but it was probably a good note to go out on. They and Miranda July both were associated with the Northwest "riot grrrl" thing--it should be noted that S-K denied any stigma of being part of that at the beginning, though they did expand on it--with MJ directing their "Get Up" video in 1999 and Carrie Brownstein of SK "starring" in MJ's short film Getting Stronger Every Day.

Yes, Portland has all the sniping, backbiting, and overall petty competitiveness of any small hipster pond with its share of big fish, but they do have more big fish than most small ponds (and even more than some "big" ponds, if the rather complacent, self-satisfied, and moribund Seattle "scene" is any indication--even just on the film front, I think I'll take Todd Haynes, Gus van Sant, and Miranda July over Cameron Crowe ANY day, thank you).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.