I just sold all my dvds

Started by nix, April 24, 2005, 10:25:02 PM

nix

I'm this close to taking my own life.

I sold all 170 of my dvds in order to get the money to finish my own short film.

It did sweep the student awards at my school, but somehow, I don't feel better.

Anyone got any dvds they don't want. :cry:
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Ravi

Quote from: nix
It did sweep the student awards at my school, but somehow, I don't feel better.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Don't let your lack of DVDs get you down.  It's one of those sacrifices filmmakers often have to make.

UncleJoey

Quote from: nixAnyone got any dvds they don't want. :cry:

Ask SHAFTR if he's still looking to unload this:

Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

meatball

nix

I take that back. I have 3.

I let a friend borrow 2 and he gave 'em back after the big sale, and I just forgot to take one with me cuz it was sitting on my tv.

So I still have:

Strangers in Paradise

Down By Law

and

Roger Dodger.

Plus my two roommates own like 200 dvds each.

But I had the most criterions by far.
-Woddy Allen

Gold Trumpet

For some reason, its heart wrenching hearing people sell off their dvd collections. I may be looking to that situation shortly as I go to a larger unversity, but I don't think I'll be selling off my collection. Its too different than the usual wanted dvds in my area that they would never come close to fetching the price they were worth. If I was in NYC then it would be different. Now I'm better off selling all my books.

jtm

how much $ did u get for them? i've been thinking about doing the same thing for the same reason but i don't think i can bring myself to do it.

MacGuffin

You sold your DVDs and didn't give us first dibs? :evil:

BANNED.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UncleJoey

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI may be looking to that situation shortly as I go to a larger unversity

Which university?
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Weak2ndAct

Long, long ago...
Quote from: Weak2ndActI myself had a collection somewhere in the league of 200 dvd's, plus a shitload of laserdiscs.  I would stare at them every night and think 'what should I watch?' and end up deciding I don't like any of these movies, I've seen them already, then I watch nothing.  I hit rock bottom financially and needed some quick cash to dig myself out of the hole... so I sold the collection.  I made out pretty well all considering... but it probably was one of the worst decisions I've ever made.  I SO REGRET selling the collection.  There were a lot of good titles.  Sure, there's always a couple iffy purchases in the bunch, but hold onto to the stuff.  You'll be happier later.
Yeah, I still regret selling the collection.  This was like, three years ago, and I still haven't re-bought any of the dvds, 'cept for 'Serial Mom,' b/c I found it for 5 bucks.  I'm over 200 hundred again... man, I woulda had a seriously bitchin' collection...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've been thinking about selling a lot of my DVD's, but I couldn't bring myself to selling the Criterions.

Partly because they're Criterion, but also because I know most places that would take them wouldn't give me much money for them, not knowing how much they're worth.

I'd like my collection to be more cohesive, though... keeping only the ones I know I'll watch often and the classics.  All the DVD's i don't want or that tarnish my collection need to be sold.

Hm... time to overhaul.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

i'm about to sort out the good and shite in my dvd collection. i own about 500 and half of that consists of really awful ones i bought of sheer sentimentality.

can't believe that "consists" consists of three s's. :shock:

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: UncleJoey
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI may be looking to that situation shortly as I go to a larger unversity

Which university?

Northern Michigan University. For College Hockey, its one of the premiere schools in the nation.

UncleJoey

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: UncleJoey

Which university?

Northern Michigan University. For College Hockey, its one of the premiere schools in the nation.

Yeah, I know. Oddly enough, a guy I went to high school with went there to play football. I'm pretty sure that program no longer exists and he's at UW-Milwaukee now, slowly but surely tranforming into a giant prick.

nix

Well I sort of have an inn at a place here in nashville called the great escape. One of my best friends works there, so I got the most they would pay for every disc. Just over 1000 bucks total.

This allowed me to process my film and have a 3 hour telecine session.

I am very, very proud of the resulting film. Just miss my dvds... A lot.
-Woddy Allen