Christina Ricci Neked in Monster?

Started by RegularKarate, March 05, 2003, 04:21:43 PM

MacGuffin

Nothing official yet but early word is that Charlize Theron's Oscar winning performance in Monster will come to DVD on June 1 from Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment. So far the DVD will be available in widescreen format and specs include Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, a featurette and theatrical trailers. The DVD will be available for $26.96.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/daily_news.html#032704

If Monster is going to be known for anything, it's that it accomplished the heretofore impossible - "uglifying" the heavenly Charlize Theron. According to Video Store Magazine, the film, which earned Theron an Academy Award for her portrayal of female serial killer Aileen Wuornos, will be available on June 1st from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment and will feature an anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1) and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras on tap include a making-of featurette (with footage of Theron's makeup process and travels to actual locations Wournos frequented), an interview with writer/director Patty Jenkins and composer Brian Transeau (BT) and bonus trailers. Retail will be $26.95.

Also available will be a double-disc set which includes filmmaker Nick Broomfield's 2002 follow-up documentary Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer. Retail on this will be $39.95 ($19.95 for the doc alone). Also be aware that yet another documentary, 1992's Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer, will be released on April 27th with a retail of $14.95. Check out specs and cover art for that one in Tuesday's news post.

©brad

FUCKING HELL I LOVED IT.

and i feel like the kid who gets the joke 10 minutes after everyone else has already heard and laughed and forgotten it, so forgive me b/c this movie has been out and talked about and whathaveyou but i just rented this thing and

it

kicked

my

ass....

Quote from: MacGuffinI dunno what movie the naysayers saw, but this film was brilliant. Theron deserves every award and accolade she receives. I did not see her acting at all; she was this character, became it. I dunno what kind of style was wanted, but I thought flashy editing and cinematography weren't necessary. It was perfect to just let the screenplay and actors tell the story, and the pacing was spot on. It was a extraordinary character study. Highly recommended.

yes yes yes yes yes. and whatever nitpicky complaints about pacing and theron's makeup and ricci's performance (equal to theron's in my mind) is really silly and irrelevant and just plain dumb.

1. theron's performace is the best since ellen burstyn in requiem. fact.

2. anyone who didn't get teary or at least think about getting teary during the part when theron puts ricci on the bus and says goodbye isn't human. fact.

3. the script was good, as were every supporting character, hell, even the extras. i mean, y'all, it was soooo right and perfect, and maybe it's because i grew up near this area and I-95 (where aileen picked up some of the dudes) is like 30 mins. from my house, i don't know. i felt it. it's real man. f-izz-act.

4. why this is being compared to a hardly comparable and far inferior monster's ball baffles me. fact.

it reminded me a lot of thelma and louise, except with less laughing and fun.

eberto himself says it best here:

Quote from: roger the manI didn't recognize her -- but more to the point, I hardly tried, because the performance is so focused and intense that it becomes a fact of life. Observe the way Theron controls her eyes in the film; there is not a flicker of inattention, as she urgently communicates what she is feeling and thinking. There's the uncanny sensation that Theron has forgotten the camera and the script and is directly channeling her ideas about Aileen Wuornos. She has made herself the instrument of this character.

Chest Rockwell

I'm sure you're at that point when you've just seen it for the first time and think it better than it really is. It was OK (maybe good) to say the least. It didn't wow me at all, or leave me teary-eyed. I just didn't like it too much.

Finn

I felt the same way to an extent. Although I thought it was a good movie, it was over rated by Ebert. I thought Theron's performance was great, not the movie.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Jeremy Blackman

I didn't get into the movie, especially Theron's acting. Ricci's performance was so much better than Theron's. I mean, you can tell she tried, but that prosthetic face is one big obstruction.

Pubrick

it really wasn't very good at all. beginning with the overhype about theron's performance, the movie disappointed on all fronts. ricci was ok i guess, in a forgettable role, what is there to say about this movie other than "SNORE +".

sum ppl are too eager to like this, at best it is textbook filmmaking of what could have been an interesting story. boy was i glad (until today) when ppl got over this fad.

i think i'm repeating myself here but i don't care enuff to look back at previous pages to check if i already reviewed this piece of crap.
under the paving stones.

metroshane

So was ricci naked?  I saw the movie but missed that part evidently.  Unless, of course, I was distracted by her forehead.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Chest Rockwell

I tried to forget most of the movie, but as I recall she doesn't get naked. I might be wrong. But I bet the title of the thread was created when there was some rumor she might appear nude.

Quote from: Pit really wasn't very good at all. beginning with the overhype about theron's performance, the movie disappointed on all fronts. ricci was ok i guess, in a forgettable role, what is there to say about this movie other than "SNORE +".

sum ppl are too eager to like this, at best it is textbook filmmaking of what could have been an interesting story. boy was i glad (until today) when ppl got over this fad.

i think i'm repeating myself here but i don't care enuff to look back at previous pages to check if i already reviewed this piece of crap.
I was never one to say 'piece of crap' but I did get grossly tired of all the overhype. I wasn't even terribly impressed with Theorn's performance.

Ravi

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html

Keeping track of news and rumors can be trying sometimes. Here's a little tidbit that's been sitting around my computer for a while (sorry it took so long to get to it): Monster director Patty Jenkins confirmed back in June that a second edition of her film will be released. Asked during the DVD press junket about the lead time she had to prepare her film, she had this to say: "I went straight from finishing the film into being on the award circuit and the European press circuit. So, this is an initial release of the DVD that they just had to get out what they could, in order to meet the dates - the correct dates. So, there will be another DVD with more - with footage and a director's commentary and bonus things. But the truth is that it's been funny even working on that; there's one deleted scene. [There wasn't] a lot of fat... scenes were longer and scenes were shorter and slightly different, but it's almost exactly verbatim [to the] script.

brockly

I only just saw this and absolutely loved it. I'm kicking myself for avoiding it for as long as I did. This is probably my second favourite film of last year. Ok, here are some quotes I agree with:

Quote from: MacGuffinI dunno what kind of style was wanted, but I thought flashy editing and cinematography weren't necessary. It was perfect to just let the screenplay and actors tell the story, and the pacing was spot on. It was a extraordinary character study.

Quote from: RegularKarateI agree about the Journey song scene being great. one of the best kissing scenes in a LOOOOOOOONG time

Quote from: CinephileI'm glad that two of the very best films of the year were made by female directors.

Quote from: ©brad2. anyone who didn't get teary or at least think about getting teary during the part when theron puts ricci on the bus and says goodbye isn't human. fact.

3. the script was good, as were every supporting character, hell, even the extras. i mean, y'all, it was soooo right and perfect, and maybe it's because i grew up near this area and I-95 (where aileen picked up some of the dudes) is like 30 mins. from my house, i don't know. i felt it. it's real man. f-izz-act.

As far as the style goes, that's one of the reasons why the film worked so well. The story and the characters felt so real to me and I think the absence of stylish filmmaking had a lot to do with that, as Mac already said. The script was terrific. One of the finest screenplays in long time. I guess that means the two finest screenplays of last year were written by chicks :|. A good thing. Definatly a good thing. But this was a lot better then LIT. I really, really loved this film. It still hasn't hit the shelves yet in Australia :evil:, but ill definitely be grabbing a copy when it does. Looking forward to seeing this again. I think I can safely say its the best lesbian love story since Mulholland Drive.

MacGuffin

Columbia TriStar has announced that they'll release a 2-disc Monster: Special Edition on 1/25/05.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

oh god. don't tell me ppl are gonna be talking about this again for a week in the future..
under the paving stones.