Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

Stefen

I don't think we're watching anymore.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

Pas

I don't think Conan was ever that funny anyway. (*readies for Cine's wrath*) All these late night talk shows are pretty boring, Letterman being the best, like a one-eyed man in a country of blind people or whatever that expression is.

SiliasRuby

Oh screw you....so angry at Pas right now. I've been a loyal follower of conan since 2002 and although he has trouble when he has people who are way out there with brazen opinions: Bill Maher, Adam Carolla, or hardcore politicos; he tries to find stable middle ground with everyone and gives the audience a joyous silly atmosphere where they can find comfort and that in turn makes me feel comfort. Now, he isn't laugh out loud funny but he does give me a few heavy giggles throughout the hour and he does it consistently on a daily basis. Letterman, on the other hand, while not giving a fuck about his reputation and just making people like Sarah Palin, Bill O'Reilly (who is the only person I don't know at all personally who I hate with a passion I'm not a hardcore liberal. Moderate to very liberal on some issues, slightly conserative on others), Paris Hilton, John Mccain, and Spenser Pratt look like complete idiot douchebags-Letterman has become slightly stale with his routine. Because that's what it is. I know its sacralige to say this but Dave really never appealed to me as a viewer. I might be in the minority but at least I have the balls to say it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

Meh, comfort. It's supposed to be funny/entertaining, not comforting. You say yourself he isn't laugh out loud funny.

The Daily Show is laugh out loud funny, but I don't have that channel.  :yabbse-sad:

squints

Lately the only late night talk show host i've been watching is Larry Sanders.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

oh I see, conan was never that funny.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Pozer

I could see why youd think so.

MacGuffin

Conan O'Brien Injured After Tonight Show Stunt

Conan O'Brien found out the hard way that physical comedy is harder than it looks.

The Tonight Show host, 46, reportedly suffered a concussion after hitting his head while filming a stunt for the show on Friday with Desperate Housewives actress Teri Hatcher.

The bit involving Hatcher, whose episode was canceled and replaced with a rerun, poked fun at her recent participation in a triathlon.

"We did this bit and at the very end, when we ran in to cross the finish line, he slipped as he was crossing the finish line and hit his head," Hatcher tells Entertainment Tonight of O'Brien's accident.

"He didn't get off floor right a way, but then he [seemed] like he recovered and [pulled] it together, and they did an instant replay, and you could really see his head hit the floor," the actress said. "He did go to hospital and he does have a concussion."

The NBC network confirmed O'Brien was taken to a local hospital for observation, but did not elaborate on his current condition.

In a statement, O'Brien, who took over the late-night staple from Jay Leno in June, used his trademark humor to reflect on the incident.

"Last thing I remember I was enjoying the play with Mrs. Lincoln, and the next thing I knew I was in bed being served cookies and juice" O'Brien said in the statement.

There is no word yet from NBC about plans for future Tonight Show episodes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Damn. Can things get any worse for Cone bone?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

he staged it to get out of his contract.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

i hope he's alrite., but he got what was coming to him. i hope this wakes him up and makes him realise it's just not worth relying on fucking idiotic stunts every night just to appease Leno's (long-gone) carry over audience, or to try to recruit a new batch of meat heads.

it's like he decided to jump ship on his old audience and try desperately to amuse a much bigger (and dumber) crowd, and this is what happens. i bet his ratings will increase because all the jackasses who want BLOOD will be tuned in for another debacle. he should start each show with:

"hi, i'm Coney Sharsksville, welcome to I JUMPED IT"
under the paving stones.

john

Quote from: :P on September 26, 2009, 08:54:55 PM
hope this wakes him up and makes him realise it's just not worth relying on fucking idiotic stunts every night just to appease Leno's (long-gone) carry over audience, or to try to recruit a new batch of meat heads.

Yeah, that's a nice thing to hope for, but it ain't gonna happen. Conan is consistently pleasant and occasionally pretty funny. But subversive is one thing he has never really been. He knew the mood and aesthetic he needed to provide for The Tonight Show and took the job anyways.

His bits on the old show weren't that much more discerning, just leaned a bit closer towards a marginalized sense of humor (a bit.)

The thing I most immediately miss in this transition is his guests have become a lot less interesting. No more Todd Solondz interviews. No more Jonathan Richman performances. Or at lost less, anyway.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Myxo

This show needs more Masturbating Bear and Vomiting Kermit.

I also miss announcer Joel Godard.