Started by modage, December 01, 2003, 08:20:18 AM

cine

My all-time favourite Christmas film:

Redlum

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Gloria
Quote from: SoNowThenA Christmas Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

In my opinion, that is the best Christmas movie, hands down.
I also like The Santa Claus, Elf, and Christmas Vacation.  I admit....I even liked Jingle All the Way.

in my opinion as well, a christmas story is the greatest christmas movie ever, followed closely by christmas vacation.  but, thats why those are saved for christmas eve and christmas eve eve. dont feel bad i liked jingle all the way as well, and will get to that this month too.

I love the dvd cover for Jingle all the Way, I dont think I've ever seen the film all the way through but every time I pass the 'J' rack in HMV, I always look it up and laught at the cover.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: CinephileMy all-time favourite Christmas film:

that is my all time favorite film period, and what i watch on christmas eve after i watch a christmas story.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I use to make A Christmas Story a yearly event, but after 10 to 15 years it, I'm just sick of it. It isn't a movie, but a repeated knock on the head of everything nostalgic with christmas. These movies really have their limits so my choice of the christmas movie to watch is Die Hard. Its entertaining as something other than the nostalgic, but yet it understands Christmas in the most fitting humor for a humble agnostic.

modage

PRANCER (1989)
Roger Ebert says, "The best thing about "Prancer" is that it doesn't insult anyone's intelligence. Smaller kids will identify with Jessica's fierce resolve to get Prancer back into action, and older viewers will appreciate the fact that the movie takes place in an approximation of the real world."

i'd never seen this before i watched it tonite, which is odd since it came out when i should've been the right age to see it, but somehow i guess it slipped through the cracks.  i probably would've thought it was too boring, so i guess its just as well.  so, i thought this was okay, but not at all what i expected.  a very low key story about a girl and her family.  the reindeer really doesnt have a whole lot to do with the story except acting as a reason for the actions to take place.  but the christmas spirit elements seem to be a metaphor for what the town is going through and less about cheezing it up.  which, i guess is admirable that they didnt try to cram it full of magic and goofy jokes and stuff and really just told a little story about people.  personally, it was a little too quiet for my tastes but a watchable movie nonetheless.  i've seen worse, MUCH worse.  anyone have anything for/against this one?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gloria

Never cared for Prancer. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I remember it being kind of a downer.  It was not at all what I expected, but I agree that I'm glad it didn't try to cram in the christmas cheesiness.  I think it could have lightened up a bit, though.

modage

Quote from: GloriaNever cared for Prancer. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I remember it being kind of a downer.  I think it could have lightened up a bit, though.

yeah, kind of a downer.  definitely could've used some more light moments i thought.  oh well.

classical gas

I have a friend who has never seen "A Christmas Story".  Sorry I felt the need to share that with you people, but it just blew my mind.  He lives with me now, and I'm going to make him watch it all day on Christmas eve, like I used to do.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI use to make A Christmas Story a yearly event, but after 10 to 15 years it, I'm just sick of it. It isn't a movie, but a repeated knock on the head of everything nostalgic with christmas. These movies really have their limits so my choice of the christmas movie to watch is Die Hard. Its entertaining as something other than the nostalgic, but yet it understands Christmas in the most fitting humor for a humble agnostic.

I know what you mean...for a few years I was burnt out on the Goonies.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

THE FAMILY MAN (2000)
Thats right, Brett Ratner baby...

family man is a movie i did see in the theatre and enjoyed and have tried to watch for the past few years in december for a few reasons.  1.) i love nicolas cage and 2.) the movie is essentially a modern day its a wonderful life (my favorite movie ever), IN REVERSE.    

i think it has a lot of funny moments, and the characters are very likable and somewhat believable.  jeremy piven has some good lines as the best friend, especially when nicolas cage first enters pivens basement looking bewildered and piven mentions how he moved a chair and its freaking everybody out.  but there are some really good lines here.  and a whole lot of sentimental stuff that makes this worth watching right about now.

SPOILERS AHEAD< you shouldnt read if you havent seen it... the fundamental problem however, in doing it's a wonderful life in reverse, is by design the ending is going to be a letdown!  what if the movie had ended with jimmy stewart not existing?!  thats really kind of whats happening here, and nothing bums me out more than getting to the end of the movie and seeing nicolas cage alone and rich.  his wife not having seen him sinec he left her years ago and his 2 kids not even existing!  that bums the shit out of me!  other than that, and the fact that the film is about 15 minutes too long (with too many twists and ups and downs in teh middle section of the film), i really enjoy this movie.  

if anyone hasnt seen it and decides to watch it, let me know what you think.  anyone else like/dislike this?

cine

Quote from: Donald Darko
Quote from: themodernage02anyone else like/dislike this?
I fucking loathe it.

Hey, a movie opinion.

Sleuth

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Donald Darko
Quote from: themodernage02anyone else like/dislike this?
I fucking loathe it.

Hey, a movie opinion.

Well, he does have a point.
I like to hug dogs

Gloria

I really liked The Family Man.  I thought it was really sweet and Nic Cage was so much fun to watch.  I seem to be in the minority, but I really thought this movie was charming.

Gamblour.

Holy shit! Did y'all realize that the mother in A Christmas Story is Rose Gator in Magnolia??!? This blew my mind:

WWPTAD?

Sleuth

I didn't really notice it until I heard her speak a bit
I like to hug dogs