Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on February 06, 2020, 10:42:46 AM
This is today's Rewatchable

https://www.theringer.com/the-rewatchables

I LOVED this episode.  It highlighted everything that worked in the film for me (a lot of individual moments that are really wonderful), without having to sit thru all the stuff that didn't (some of which are just awful).   What a treat. 

Alethia

Lol I adore your relationship with this film.

wilberfan

And I get to enjoy you enjoying my relationship with this film.  It's what's going to get me thru this Awards Season.  Maybe I could talk a few of you into joining me for a couple of therapy sessions?

Alethia

Drenk

Only if we join the therapy session 1917 style, in one long tracking shot including a lot of running.
Ascension.

Alexandro

Quote from: Alexandro on November 27, 2019, 05:16:18 PM
I gave this two shots (so far). The first time I was truly underwhelmed for reasons other have exposed here before me. Mainly, I felt the film dragged and never really took off. Scenes were good by themselves, some of them great, but the energy kept escaping because everything was taking forever. DiCaprio en Pitt are terrific, the film has some great sequences, a lot to chew on, but I was impatient during most of it.

Still, I went back a week later, this time to an IMAX screening, and sure enough, I quickly realized that on that first showing I had been scammed. There was NO VOLUME at my first screening. At least the speakers weren't properly calibrated. Weird that I didn't notice, as I tend to be that asshole who gets up 20 seconds into the movie to tell an employee to crank the volume up. But  this time, I guess it was loud enough but not correctly so. With the IMAX, I could feel the movie I was really supposed to see all along, and everything was way better.  But still...

Spoiler: ShowHide
 ... around the first sequence of DiCaprio acting within the tv show things started to drag again. I don't understand why that sequence takes so long. I mean the fictional scene, before he forgets his lines. It just goes on and on for no good reason.

I'll give it a third go soon, and hopefully I will see the perfect masterpiece everyone else is, although I've had the same feeling of unnecessary dragging on from Tarantino's films ever since Django Unchained.

My third go actually turned out perfect. Loved it completely. Sometimes it takes a while.

putneyswipe

I didn't understand the purpose of the Lancer shoot scene as well on first view but now (having seen it three times in theatres) that strikes me as the most emotionally genuine part of the movie.

Reel

Was I mistaken or is Rose Mcgowan in the party scene smoking a joint with Steve Mcqueen? If so, she's uncredited.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Reelist on February 18, 2020, 08:33:37 PM
Was I mistaken or is Rose Mcgowan in the party scene smoking a joint with Steve Mcqueen? If so, she’s uncredited.

You're mistaken. That's Dreama Walker (Compliance, Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23) as Connie Stevens.

Alethia

Random but...anyone else find it curious that they depict the shooting of the Lancer pilot as taking place on a Sunday? Surely this can't be an oversight.

Sleepless

Quote from: eward on February 25, 2020, 03:53:54 PM
Random but...anyone else find it curious that they depict the shooting of the Lancer pilot as taking place on a Sunday? Surely this can't be an oversight.

You'll be delighted to know this has dominated my driving/shower thoughts since I read it. My guess is because Sunday is the night FBI aired? That's a big point of conversation at Spahn Ranch, and then Rick and Cliff watch an episode together that night. Right? Or am I getting bits of the film mixed up?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jviness02

Quote from: Sleepless on February 28, 2020, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: eward on February 25, 2020, 03:53:54 PM

You'll be delighted to know this has dominated my driving/shower thoughts since I read it. My guess is because Sunday is the night FBI aired? That's a big point of conversation at Spahn Ranch, and then Rick and Cliff watch an episode together that night. Right? Or am I getting bits of the film mixed up?

That's definitely why it's being shot on a Sunday in the film's universe, but would it actually have been shot on a Sunday in real life? I am not sure how production practices were back then, but I have been on productions on Sundays. It's rare, but not unheard of.

Alethia

jenkins

<3

I've mentioned before that i was there the night before the close

https://www.twitter.com/newbeverly/status/1238208172898336773

focusing on Bitter Tea bc i do not recommend the other

https://www.twitter.com/newbeverly/status/1237936440895471616

wilberfan

Not sure this will help.

The Beatles (The White Album) - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Full Movie Sync)