Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

MacGuffin

I forgot to mention: Chris Moore falling on his ass after the chair breaks was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Project Greenlight has the potential to find and nurture new, interesting talents who can give us something we haven't seen before, and now two years in a row they've chosen the biggest Hallmark Channel After-School Special they could find among the entries.  What, I ask, the fuck?

I'm entering another script next time, though, on the off-chance they'll finally come to their senses after "The Battle of Shaker Heights" bombs even more mightily than "Stolen Summer" did.  

Out of the four scripts I had to read and review when I entered this time, one was a plotless, unfilmable "trying really damn hard to be quirky", anti-structured dramedy, one was quite possibly the worst script I have ever read in my lifetime, one was mind-numbingly boring, without a single plot twist I didn't see coming or a character that talked differently from any other character, and one was actually a pretty good, tightly plotted, well-executed thriller/horror flick that I would have actually gone to see had it been made into a movie.

And which of this group makes it through to Round Two?  Why, the mind-numbingly boring one, of course!  Go, Matt and Ben!

It's a good thing I don't get HBO; otherwise I might feel compelled to watch this trainwreck.

Good lord, am I bitter.
My house, my rules, my coffee

BonBon85

I have to agree with you, polkablues. If ebeaman's still looking for teen movie cliches he need not look any farther than The Battle of Shaker Heights.

Alethia

Quote from: polkabluesWhat, I ask, the fuck?

haha, ah-heh ha, haha...that has me laughing very hard right now (seriously)

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffinI forgot to mention: Chris Moore falling on his ass after the chair breaks was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Yeah, that was great. He was so embarassed. I love the show though.

I was pissed when the one guy, Efrum(sp?) got the car. And then he wastes the time he was supposed to spend in a meeting checking it out and stuff. God, I wanna punch that guy in the face (or balls) everytime I see him. He alone is gonna ruin the movie I feel. What's his problem with the chick from Malcomn in the Middle, y'know. Or that other kid they wanted except for him of course and couldn't get. And the thing he said to the DP runner-up and just everything he says in general, "welcome to Project Greenlight."  God, he's a douche bag.

What kind of a world do we live in where this guy's making movies and we're sitting around talking about him?

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: poser
I was pissed when the one guy, Efrum(sp?) got the car. And then he wastes the time he was supposed to spend in a meeting checking it out and stuff. God, I wanna punch that guy in the face (or balls) everytime I see him. He alone is gonna ruin the movie I feel.
?

I agree, what a fucking moron! Couldn't he have checked out his ride some other time? Man, I really hate that guy. They should just fire him for being so whiny and stupid.

MacGuffin

First off, these directors don't respect anybody. They think they know it all because they've made countless films by themselves. But they don't know shit about making a Hollywood film (Second Team means bring in the stand-ins, guys). They don't respect the 'suits' - people who have made numerous films in Hollywood. They don't respect the writer, and that has lead to another frustration. She starts the series very protective of her script/baby. But come production time, she lets them shit all over her script as she watches. It's only after they take the pages and wipe their asses with them, does she finally speak up, but by that time it's too late and she comes off as whiny and and sarcastic and ultimately lets others do the talking for her. At first, she doesn't know why she's there (You only wrote the fucking thing! You're The WRITER!!!!!), but come day seven, she finally gets it. She has a point and right as the writer to speak her mind if something doesn't look or sound right. But she doesn't; not wanting to rock the boat. You should only be mad at yourself then, honey. Chris Moore is right. As long as they let them get away with these things, they'll keep doing it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mindfuck

Well said. These guys obviously don't understand their role. It looks to me like they are still way too caught up in the "director = creator" thing that happens when you write/direct or work on independent projects. THIS IS NOT THEIR MOVIE. Like Chris said towards the end of the episode, "Maybe one day you'll have final cut, but you don't right now."

I feel really bad for the writer right now. As I understand it, she has been given a unique opportunity (for Hollywood at least) to still be involved in the process at this stage and she's STILL getting shafted by the directos. Ouch.

Pozer

As much as I hate the directors, how funny was it when Christopher Lloyd passed and Efrum said "Great Scott"

Bud_Clay

I don't believe that show is even legitimate.  I caught one episode of the new season and I thought I was watching Joe Millionare or something of the like.........Same music, same mansion, pathetic!  And when all the directors were having their names called?  And then tears tears tears, IT WAS FUCKING JOE MILLIONARE!  Please pick me Joe!  I don't believe they even read the scripts they receive.

MacGuffin

for "Battle Of Shaker Heights".

Skeleton FilmWorks

mindfuck

Interesting. Looks like Shia might have saved the show. God knows the directors are doing all they can to fuck it up.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mindfuckGod knows the directors are doing all they can to fuck it up.

I can't wait to see next week's episode about them firing the boom guy because he stood in the wrong plave.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mindfuck

Quote from: MacGuffin
I can't wait to see next week's episode about them firing the boom guy because he stood in the wrong plave.

Heh yeah. I think Kyle's on to something with the notecard idea though. I fell in love with Chris Moore after last night's episode. After the whole meeting goes down and they agree to try to have an organized opinion before approaching the directors. The next scene goes off really well and Chris goes and asks Jeff and Erica if he can tell them that they thought it was good. I was laughing my ass off.

jasper_window

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: mindfuckGod knows the directors are doing all they can to fuck it up.

I hope the boom guy beats Efram with the boom pole.  I can't get enough of that show.  It feels like it's over in 3 minutes not 30.