Mozart in the Jungle

Started by polkablues, January 31, 2015, 12:50:37 PM

polkablues

"Transparent" has been getting all the accolades and attention among Amazon series, but this show deserves a share as well.

For all intents and purposes, it's "Sling and Arrows" but in the New York Symphony instead of a Canadian Shakespeare Festival. It has the same grounded weirdness to the characters, the same slightly absurdist bent to the plotlines, and the same themes of exploring the personal effects of artistic drive. The difference is that Mozart in the Jungle is more polished and steady, without the extreme highs and slightly embarrassing lows the former show had over its three seasons.

The cast is ridiculously good. Gael Garcia Bernal, Saffron Burrows, Malcolm McDowell, and Bernadette Peters all kill it (Bernal especially is so, so good). Lola Kirke has the potential to come off as annoying, with her little lisp and over-affected ingenue schtick, but after a couple episodes I was on her side.

Anyway, highly recommend giving this a try. It's free to watch if you're an Amazon Prime member, free to torrent if you're not.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Enormous banner for this on Amazon the other day. Is it still good?

polkablues

I really like it. It's not top tier television, but it's the next rung down. There's one episode of the new season in particular that's really top notch, and serves as a reminder that Roman Coppola is capable of being a really good director.

polkablues

The Golden Globe win might be overrating the show just a touch (You're the Worst should have both won and, you know, been nominated), but Gael Garcia Bernal 100% deserves his award. He's formed one of the most fully realized characters I've seen in an ostensible comedy series.