Memento: What is Lenny's affliction?

Started by The Perineum Falcon, December 04, 2003, 11:59:03 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Here's a question that I'd like to discuss:

How do you define Lenny's problem? Do you think it's psychological or physiological? Does he willingly forget things or is he physically unable to make new memories. Furthermore, is Lenny Sammy Jankis?

I saw Memento for the second time recently for film class and participated in a lengthy discuss about the said topic afterwards and I'd just like to know what the goers here thought about it.

(apologize if there's a topic about it)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

NEON MERCURY

...oh you see its the fact that lenny is really........DAMMNIT I FORGOT!!!!!!11

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

picolas

Quote from: ranemaka13How do you define Lenny's problem? Do you think it's psychological or physiological? Does he willingly forget things or is he physically unable to make new memories. Furthermore, is Lenny Sammy Jankis?
obviously spoils

I THINK he willingly forgets things about his past life. Sammy is partly a  composite of people he'd investigate as an insurance claims officer, but mostly something he uses to lie to himself about killing his wife after the break in. this is where it gets absolutely fuk'd because if he lies to himself about what happened after the break, he can remember it.. but if he's just playing a game with himself, it doesn't make sense that he'd let Natalie screw him over..

i think i'll watch it again and report back here later with more sensicals.

aclockworkjj

I don't feel drunk....but personally i feel it's a self-induced condition as a result of not being able to deal with the fact that he single handly was the direct cause of his wife's dealth.  He plays it out to the point where he actually believes his own lie...the mind takes over and fact and fiction are twisted and mixed and....

I still don't feel drunk.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Damn I wish JJ was back so I could talk abuot how he probably is drunk.

*Wipes tear away*
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

i don't think u would survive the death of a loved one.

cos u know, u can't talk to a rotting corpse on AIM.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...oh you see its the fact that lenny is really........DAMMNIT I FORGOT!!!!!!11

That is the best reply I'ver ever read. Ever.