Stuck On You

Started by Jack Sparrow, June 21, 2003, 04:28:38 PM

SoNowThen

Hehehe

"sometimes Big Ern's there in the morning when I wake up..."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenHehehe

"sometimes Big Ern's there in the morning when I wake up..."

Right! God, I haven't seen that movie in ages. I remember being on the floor when he's the quaterback and one of the mom's is bending over in front of him..."Kentuuuuucky! Uhh....deeper Jonathan!" Lol, he's such a dick in that movie. I think I was only turned off by some of the word play jokes, like that thing where people would confuse the ring and the rubber hand...I always thought that was lame. And the song at the end, can't remember the name of it, I think that's the worst, most annoying song I have ever heard. And it gets stuck in my head all day. It's hard to like a movie where you can't watch the end.

SoNowThen

That movie licks balls, but I just won't get rid of the dvd, because everything Murray does is gold. Especially the comb-over, and the "big Ern is now above the law" bit after he wins...

And Woody Harrelson has the high point of his career, imo, when he turns to that guy out of the blue at the bar, and screams "...who you callin' a psycho?!".

I piss myself over that. I guess it's not that bad of a movie...

Stuck On You trailer just made me howl. I hope it's good.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenThat movie licks balls, but I just won't get rid of the dvd, because everything Murray does is gold. Especially the comb-over, and the "big Ern is now above the law" bit after he wins...

And Woody Harrelson has the high point of his career, imo, when he turns to that guy out of the blue at the bar, and screams "...who you callin' a psycho?!".

I dunno... I think Cher is perfectly capable of giving a good performance, as long as it's NOT "as herself." :-) We'll see.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenThat movie licks balls, but I just won't get rid of the dvd, because everything Murray does is gold. Especially the comb-over, and the "big Ern is now above the law" bit after he wins...

I'm the exact same way, swear to god. That Kingpin dvd has been in and out of my collection for awhile now. I'm always second guessing myself. Everytime I watch Mary or D&D, I put it back in. I mean, Bill Murray is a god and yes, Woody Harellson does have the role of his career in the movie. When the girl kicks him in the balls and he fucking says something like "mommy!" in a high pitched voice...I'm ashamed to say it (cause it's so cheap) but god, that gets me everytime.

SoNowThen

I showed my dad this Stuck On You trailer. He just about peed his pants. We rewound and watched the golf shot about 5 times. Classic.

edison

SHAFTR

am I the only one who has seen this?

I really enjoyed it.  Of all their films it has the most heart.  Some may say this is the downfall, but I disagree.  I really dug Damon/Kinnear and most, most of the supporting performances were good (not all though).  There are some fun cameos in the film (Meryl Streep & Ricky Williams).  It probably ranks as #3 for me as far as Farrely Bros pictures (behind D&D and Kingpin).  It might, might sneak into the top 10 for me this year.  I really did enjoy it.  It took awhile for me to fall into the whole conjoined twins thing, but once I did it was very enjoyable.

Film comes highly recommended by me.

Now, it's late and I just ate a tasty chicken sandwich..time for bed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

so is it as funny as i hope it is? anyone else see it? ghostboy?

nix

I was really looking forward to this and was mostly let down.

No complaints about the two leads, they were fine. But the whole movie is ONE JOKE. There can only be so many variations on the same bit before it looses its power. This whole slapstick with a heart thing worked well in Something About Mary, it was so so in Shallow Hal, and it's even less successful in this one. It's my least favorite movie of their's.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

©brad

Quote from: nixI was really looking forward to this and was mostly let down.

No complaints about the two leads, they were fine. But the whole movie is ONE JOKE. There can only be so many variations on the same bit before it looses its power. This whole slapstick with a heart thing worked well in Something About Mary, it was so so in Shallow Hal, and it's even less successful in this one. It's my least favorite movie of their's.

that's what i was afraid of.

Jake_82

I didn't have anything else to do, so I watched this movie the other night, and I found it dissapointing. The trailer made it look like it had some potential, but the movie was really quite... boring... usually I don't get bored by stuff.. but this was just tedious at times. It felt like it was really poorly improvised, or they just decided to wing it. I could hear them saying "but thennnnn.... they run...in...to... CHER! yeah! that's a great idea! high five" and it felt like they didn't know how to use the actors, especially the random celebrity cameos... and the ending musical number was so boring I started falling asleep

blerg... some good ideas, just poorly executed
your reality is at the end of your dream

tpfkabi

yeah, i don't know about this one. i really like Kingpin too. i'm surprised it's looked over like it is. maybe because it's R, while D&D is PG-13, it hurts it's ability to play on cable.....idon't know.

Murray had to make up most of his lines on it, and he's so funny.
the diner scene where he tells her to go and wash off her perfume and come back.....that charity commercial where all of the kinds have hot moms......haha
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pozer

man their movies keep gettin worse

modage

Quote from: poserismsman their movies keep gettin worse

yeah i really think that Dumb And Dumber, Kingpin, and Theres Something About Mary are the trilogy of awesome funny and its been not very good since.  even now when D and D comes on tv and i watch a few minutes i will laugh my ass off but Shallow Hal, Me Myself and Irene and Osmosis Jones have not been up to snuff in my opinion, so theres little hope for this although i probably will end up seeing it for curiousities sake.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.